What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS8 Advice

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have been holding off upgrading to ios8 on my iPad2. However, after a friend advised to do so, I decided to check my usage space and it appears that the update 8.1 has somehow automatically downloaded (with an option to delete) and all I would have to do would be to instal it. I have a mind to go ahead, but will it be safe? - possibly downloaded piecemeal, so to speak whilst I was unaware.

I have not got a PC, so the iPad is rather important to me. Any advice would be very welcome.

ObiJohnKenobi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I upgraded to iOS 8 and 8.1 on my iPad 2, and it seems sluggish to me. I've read that developers who have the 8.1.1 beta are seeing improved iOS 8 performance for iPad 2 in that release. It sounds like it will be best for you to wait for 8.1.1 if you can.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for that advice, John, but I am still wondering whether the automatically downloaded update waiting to be installed will be the best copy? And will the next update simply be added to it?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been holding off upgrading to ios8 on my iPad2. However, after a friend advised to do so, I decided to check my usage space and it appears that the update 8.1 has somehow automatically downloaded (with an option to delete) and all I would have to do would be to instal it. I have a mind to go ahead, but will it be safe? - possibly downloaded piecemeal, so to speak whilst I was unaware.

I have not got a PC, so the iPad is rather important to me. Any advice would be very welcome.
If an iOS update is available and your iPad is connected to WiFi and plugged into the charger, the update will automatically download but will not install until you tap the install button. This downloaded update is exactly the same as you would have got if you had started the download manually. It's perfectly safe to install the update.

ObiJohnKenobi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks for that advice, John, but I am still wondering whether the automatically downloaded update waiting to be installed will be the best copy? And will the next update simply be added to it?

If it were me I would just delete the downloaded copy of 8.1 and manually initiate an update to 8.1.1 as soon as it's released in Settings->General->Software Update. I don't know for sure, but I imagine, though, that if you leave the downloaded copy alone it will get replaced with 8.1.1 when it's released. So if you ignore the downloaded 8.1 until then it shouldn't be an issue except for the memory it's taking up on your iPad.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If an iOS update is available and your iPad is connected to WiFi and plugged into the charger, the update will automatically download but will not install until you tap the install button. This downloaded update is exactly the same as you would have got if you had started the download manually. It's perfectly safe to install the update.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you, scifan. That is very reassuring.

Hi John, Thank you for your suggestion.. I think I will wait for the next update, but, if I delete the current one, it will take longer and use more data to download 8.1.1, won't it?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, scifan. That is very reassuring.

Hi John, Thank you for your suggestion.. I think I will wait for the next update, but, if I delete the current one, it will take longer and use more data to download 8.1.1, won't it?
iOS upgrades cannot be downloaded using the cellular data system but have to be downloaded via WiFi. No cellular data will be used. Deleting the uninstalled iOS 8.1 update will have no effect on how long it takes to download the iOS 8.1.1 update. If you leave the downloaded iOS update alone it will simply be replaced with the iOS 8.1.1 update when the time comes and will not continue to take up storage space.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi scifan! Will IOS be replaced or added to? I only have 10 GB a month on my wi-fi broadband plan and have to eak it out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi scifan! Will IOS be replaced or added to? I only have 10 GB a month on my wi-fi broadband plan and have to eak it out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you upgrade your iOS version by going to Settings>General>Software Update and tap the download button only the parts of the iOS that are changing will be downloaded. The size of the update is shown and can be seen before starting the download. If you don't want the download happening in the background when plugged into the charger, turn off your WiFi before plugging the iPad into the charger.

GDsunshine

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi everyone does it make any difference updating iOS 8.1?? I haven't update my iPad Air . I'm happy with my iOS 7.1 ...

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone does it make any difference updating iOS 8.1?? I haven't update my iPad Air . I'm happy with my iOS 7.1 ...

Your iPad Air should be fine in updating with the iOS 8.1. I did it with my iPad 2 and it was fine, but it did show some slowness. I wouldn't think that your iPad would have any issue being that it is a more current device.

Skimonkey ~ ipadforum ADMIN | iPhoneforum Moderator

GDsunshine

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi skimonkey to our beloved admin[emoji4] thanks for reply . I will think about it [emoji16][emoji6] but thanks anyway [emoji4]

Most reactions

Latest posts