What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS7 mail issue

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am finding that if I delete an email on my mini, it gets deleted period. Can't pull it up on my iMac:(

I've looked at mail settings and can't find how to fix that. Is this just a new feature in 7?

Is it fixable?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ordinarily, the iPad acts as a live mirror of your e-mail account. It's a way to "real time" view emails. Whatever you do on the iPad is going to be transmitted to and affect the server where your mail is stored.

So, that means that yes, e-mail you delete via the iPad will be deleted from the server. And, since you are interacting with your e-mail at the server level, when you delete an e-mail on the iPad, it will no longer be on the server (so you won't be able to download it to your Mac).

However, the odds are that the e-mail you deleted is still on the server in the Trash or Recycle Bin. You may be able to access that trash bin via the iPad to retrieve your e-mail(s). Or, maybe you can use a web-interface on your computer to access the trash on the server directly.

Hope this clarifies and helps.

Marilyn

dataplus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please help
I am a novice forum user and I don't know how to open a new thread
I have just experienced a problem with email
My icon indicates I have 10 new emails but they do not appear
In fact nothing appears just a blank screen saying no mail
There is nothing on the screen all three of my email accounts are no longer visible
I thought I have copies of my emails on my PC but I do like to keep certain items on my iPad too
Any suggestions would be welcome
Dataplus

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please help I am a novice forum user and I don't know how to open a new thread I have just experienced a problem with email My icon indicates I have 10 new emails but they do not appear In fact nothing appears just a blank screen saying no mail There is nothing on the screen all three of my email accounts are no longer visible I thought I have copies of my emails on my PC but I do like to keep certain items on my iPad too Any suggestions would be welcome Dataplus
Hi, welcome to iPF!

When something on your iPad isn't working the way it should, first try this:

Restart your iPad:
Turn it off, wait for a few minutes, then turn it on again.

Reset it:
Press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears.

Force close apps:
Double press Home button to reveal the multitask bar. In iOS 7, drag the thumbnails above app icons towards the top of the screen.

If these suggestions don't help, delete the account(s) and set it/them up again. Sometimes this solves problems as well.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If what J.A. Suggests didn't help, could you take a screenshot of what you describe? It may be that you are deep in a folder and, hopefully, we can figure out where you are.

Marilyn

dataplus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF! When something on your iPad isn't working the way it should, first try this: Restart your iPad: Turn it off, wait for a few minutes, then turn it on again. Reset it: Press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears. Force close apps: Double press Home button to reveal the multitask bar. In iOS 7, drag the thumbnails above app icons towards the top of the screen. If these suggestions don't help, delete the account(s) and set it/them up again. Sometimes this solves problems as well.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions
Resetting did the trick thank goodness

What baffles me as a PC under for nearly30 years is how this serious "flaw" has only happened to my iPad
The change to ios702 was successful and the problem only arose after several successive days of mail use

Still Alls well that ends well
Again many thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your suggestions
Resetting did the trick thank goodness

What baffles me as a PC under for nearly30 years is how this serious "flaw" has only happened to my iPad
The change to ios702 was successful and the problem only arose after several successive days of mail use

Still Alls well that ends well
Again many thanks

We'll, I've said it before at this forum and I'll probably say it again in the future: the iPad is a computer. As such, it often needs a swift kick in the software, same as all other computers. Just as you often need to (actually, should) restart or reboot a computer (PC or Mac or whatever), so should this be done to an iPad. Apple even encourages this reset behavior...

Welcome to modern technology! :)

Marilyn

OP
tawcat

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I realize my topic was basically answered, however, as the OP, I really don't appreciate the hijacking of any thread. 'nuff said, bye.

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tawcat, I am no expert but I believe you can set the ipad not to delete from the server. Go to settings, mail and open the mail account in question. Go to advanced and there is a setting for when to remove from the server, select never.
I have my phone and ipad set to never and I erase only from my PC.

OP
tawcat

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
alexm1> it appears that with IOS7 that option no longer appears:( Thats how I had it setup in 6, to me it's a pain, because I don't always reply to emails etc on my iPad, or I want to keep a particular email, and I hate a cluttered mail box!

I liked having the option of deleting from the iPad but keeping it on the server. Oh well just another thing to get used to.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on the email account.
It's not possible with Outlook, but iCloud still has the feature.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It was the same in iOS 6. As told before, it depends on the email account.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope I am not repeating a problem. I have he original iPad so it can. It be updated past 5.1.1. My question is does the GMAIL application recognize ones password? I know the iPhone does not because I have a 4s and I upgraded to version 7.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

Most reactions

Latest posts