What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS7: JailBreak Status Thread (Official)

snowbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm confused. normally once you jailbreak you cannot update.. You normally need to erase up update. dud I read we can do iOS 7 updates with iTunes? how exactly can this be done? or did I read wrong? I also assume we still cannot upgrade from iOS 6.1 jail broken to iOS 7 without erasing? that's usually the case.

You have to restore via a local file preferably to iOS 7.06 using DFU mode. This will cause you to loose all the information on the device requiring you to restore a backup as well as jailbreaking the device again with the current EvasiOn file.

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So here is someting odd... Aside from my iPad, I happen to have two iPhones 5S, both jailbroken on 7.04. I updated the first one to iOS 7.06 and started reinstalling my tweaks. All of a sudden I can't install Activator and Clipshot anymore because "The requested modifications cannot be applied due to required dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed"; in Clipshot I get the message that the dependency is Activator, and in Activator I am told that Flipswitch needs to be version 1.0.2 beta 1 or newer. Flipswitch is not installed and it also does not show up in my list of available downloads.

So I compare the rest of the installed components between the "old" and the "new" and it turns out that the new jalbreak (1.06) seems to have installed older versions of some Cydia components. Cydia substrate reverted from 0.9.5001 to 0.9.5000 and Substrate SafeMode reverted from 0.9.4000 to 0.9.3999.6. Because of the older version of substrate I can also not install Firewall iP7.

There don't seem to be updates available in Cydia to get the newer versions installed.

Anyone else come across an issue like that? I realize this may be iPhone-specific, but if this is a bigger issue I don't want to screw around with my iPad...

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am sitting on the fence with my iPad2 that is evasi0n jb at 6.1.2. I can do the upgrade to 7.0.6 and then jb using the recently released evasi0n updated for 7.06. Since this is older hardware there is no going back. If iOS 7.0.6 proves to be a slug on this iPad2 I will be sol. With 6.1.2, I do have a couple of apps that have started having problems with them disappearing to the tasklist when they are run and have skipped getting some apps since they require iOS 7.

Even on newer devices, you can't go back. The iPad 2 does not have the appropriate exploits to allow for a downgrade. Unless you specifically have one type of iOS 4.X blob, and one type of iOS 5.X blob with proper APTickets, you can still downgrade to that specific iOS 5, but not to iOS 4 or iOS 6.

I'm confused. normally once you jailbreak you cannot update.. You normally need to erase up update. dud I read we can do iOS 7 updates with iTunes? how exactly can this be done? or did I read wrong? I also assume we still cannot upgrade from iOS 6.1 jail broken to iOS 7 without erasing? that's usually the case.

You can always restore a jailbroken device. Do not mistaken restore with update because they're two completely different entities. Place the device into either Recovery Mode or DFU mode preferably, and click the Restore button. Or, if you have the latest iOS IPSW locally on your computer hard disk, you can Shift/Command + Restore and point it to the pre-downloaded IPSW.

So here is someting odd... Aside from my iPad, I happen to have two iPhones 5S, both jailbroken on 7.04. I updated the first one to iOS 7.06 and started reinstalling my tweaks. All of a sudden I can't install Activator and Clipshot anymore because "The requested modifications cannot be applied due to required dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed"; in Clipshot I get the message that the dependency is Activator, and in Activator I am told that Flipswitch needs to be version 1.0.2 beta 1 or newer. Flipswitch is not installed and it also does not show up in my list of available downloads.

So I compare the rest of the installed components between the "old" and the "new" and it turns out that the new jalbreak (1.06) seems to have installed older versions of some Cydia components. Cydia substrate reverted from 0.9.5001 to 0.9.5000 and Substrate SafeMode reverted from 0.9.4000 to 0.9.3999.6. Because of the older version of substrate I can also not install Firewall iP7.

There don't seem to be updates available in Cydia to get the newer versions installed.

Anyone else come across an issue like that? I realize this may be iPhone-specific, but if this is a bigger issue I don't want to screw around with my iPad...

Refresh Cydia, and see if searching for Cydia Substrate and Substrate Safe Mode yields any results to the actual package itself, then see if the version numbers are still the same as what's installed. They may not show up as updates. Most likely a bug on Evasi0n's end and is most likely at their attention. I've uploaded Cydia Substrate 0.9.5001 and Substrate Safe Mode 0.9.4000 for archival purposes on the repo I made for iPhone/iPadForums at http://itiaprepo.com/willerz2 It's the exact same package on Saurik's Telesphoreo default repository, so there's no conflicts and once everything is working, it will appear to have been installed from the Telesphoreo repo even though it was installed through the other repo because the source links back to Saurik's repo. The repo should be updated within about 15-20 minutes of this post to contain the two packages.

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After upgrading to 7.0.6, I seem to be having quite a bit of problems with Cydiia, whether it is adding of sources or downloading packages. I seem to keep getting downloads stuck and cache errors appearing. Cydia also seems unstable and keeps crashing. Anyone has similar experiences?

dcharleyultra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Install iCleaner and clean up Cydia. Then go back into Cydia and reload.

After upgrading to 7.0.6, I seem to be having quite a bit of problems with Cydiia, whether it is adding of sources or downloading packages. I seem to keep getting downloads stuck and cache errors appearing. Cydia also seems unstable and keeps crashing. Anyone has similar experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcharleyultra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So it took me forever to upgrade, update, and rerun evisi0n. I thought I w ok, but evasio0n told me I was already jailbroken, and they would not let me jailbreak. I know I did something wrong, just want other,s to know. I tunes never would let me back up. PS? I am a real novice at this. I had to DFU, restore to original and I backed up, not from my last, but from one earlier. Re.downloaded evasiOn. All is fine now, I just do not understand pkg backup, I just printed the list and I am reinstalling one by one. Never could figure out the other thing. Terminal and open ssh.
But thanx guys for all the input. And the heads up on the jailbreak.
I am so simple minded, just want sb settings back tho.

Sent from my IPad using IPF. GC wenchwhino HD level 61

Same thing happened to me.

I'm guessing we initially chose Upgrade, vs Restore as New.

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure how iCleaner can help given that mine is a fresh 7.0.6 with Cydia fresh too. I have not restored any backup yet and Cydia keeps giving me error messages like "Failed to fetch abcxyz Host Unreachable" or "Failed to fetch abcxyz Cache Failure". I tried to restore and JB again with the same result.

Install iCleaner and clean up Cydia. Then go back into Cydia and reload.

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Refresh Cydia, and see if searching for Cydia Substrate and Substrate Safe Mode yields any results to the actual package itself, then see if the version numbers are still the same as what's installed. They may not show up as updates. Most likely a bug on Evasi0n's end and is most likely at their attention. I've uploaded Cydia Substrate 0.9.5001 and Substrate Safe Mode 0.9.4000 for archival purposes on the repo I made for iPhone/iPadForums at http://itiaprepo.com/willerz2 It's the exact same package on Saurik's Telesphoreo default repository, so there's no conflicts and once everything is working, it will appear to have been installed from the Telesphoreo repo even though it was installed through the other repo because the source links back to Saurik's repo. The repo should be updated within about 15-20 minutes of this post to contain the two packages.

Thanks. The updated packages actually showed up in Cydia and installed when I checked about 8 hours later the next morning. The same thing happened when I updated the second iPhone 5S I had; it did not happen when I updated my iPad Air. So it seems there is some device-dependent bug in the jailbreak tool, maybe a script within the program?

All is good now, though I have to say that you can waste an awful lot of time on this when you have six iDevices to take care of... ;)

Last edited:

dcharleyultra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure how iCleaner can help given that mine is a fresh 7.0.6 with Cydia fresh too. I have not restored any backup yet and Cydia keeps giving me error messages like "Failed to fetch abcxyz Host Unreachable" or "Failed to fetch abcxyz Cache Failure". I tried to restore and JB again with the same result.

So what is the harm in trying it? Others have reported success with it.

wench

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have I cleaner installed, but have not allowed cydia, am I am missing the boat?

Sent from my IPad using IPF. GC wenchwhino HD level 62

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just tried iCleaner and cleaned Cydia, Cydia Sources and Cydia Dependencies along with all the other options. I still get "Host Unreachable" and "Cached Failure" error messages. It seems that Cydia is having some problems connecting. To confirm that this is not a network issues, my iPad 3 which is on 5.1.1. on the same WIFI network does not have problems. I wish I could go back to 7.0.4 and just install that SSL addon, but now I cannot!! Hope someone can help me.

So what is the harm in trying it? Others have reported success with it.

dcharleyultra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have I cleaner installed, but have not allowed cydia, am I am missing the boat?

For the errors we are discussing, you need to allow Cydia - just for this.

dcharleyultra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry, If I was intruding,

I didn't mean it as it sounds. I meant for this issue, and not for using iCleaner in general.

Sorry about that.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't mean it as it sounds. I meant for this issue, and not for using iCleaner in general.

Sorry about that.

Assuming it's for a specific repo itself, open iFile, click on the cog on the bottom left of the taskbar to open up the settings, then enable Hidden File, then navigate all the way back to " / ", then open up the /etc directory which should be in a blue-ish color. If you want to use an SSH/FTP client such as WinSCP for Windows or CyberDuck for Mac, you can do so as well. You may also have to enable hidden files to see /etc. Open up the host file using Text Viewer, or drag and drop a copy of it onto your computer desktop and use a simple word processing app like Notepad to open up the file, modify the appropriate lines that are causing the issue. Before you save it, go all the way down to the bottom of the host file, and make sure that there's a single empty line underneath the last entry. If not, tap Return or Enter to create an extra empty line if it's not already there. If the empty line is not present, that last line will act as a closer, and will be ignored when the device reads it.

Save the changes if you're using iFile, or drag and drop it back into /etc/, and respring (preferably) though you don't have to.

Update: @Evad3rs have updated and release Evasi0n 1.0.7 to address the Cydia-based issues that required that users re-run the jailbreak up to the "tap on the Evasi0n app" step.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts