What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS7: JailBreak Status Thread (Official)

mefnj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i did see the "failsafe" tutorial, but i thought i had seen a step by step somewhere, including what/how to backup, etc.

i actually haven't connected to iTunes since my initial jailbreak that i can remember, so i assume my order of operations would be:

1) get the latest version of iTunes installed on my desktop

2) connect my iPad and do a full backup (i assume there is a one-click button somewhere in iTunes)

3) do a full upgrade to iOS 7.04 (again, i assume that iTunes has a one-click button for this)

****make a decision to jailbreak or not****

If NO, then restore my iPad from the backup

If YES, follow the Evasi0n7 tutorial, jailbreak, then restore my backup from iTune

ok, i did the backup... it seemed to be a "essential files" backup to iCloud, and a full backup to my computer... it didn't offer a backup to iTunes. I assume everything is backed up somewhere where iTunes can get to it... is that a safe assumption?

now, i have two choices for the upgrade to iOS7... do i selected "update" or "restore iPad"?

thanks again, and sorry for what are likely no-brainer questions ;-)

-mark

EDIT: It did not back up anything to either iCloud or iTunes, only to my computer

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you perform a backup using iTunes, it's on your computer and can only be used by iTunes or utilities that utilizes the iTunes core, so yes, your computer/iTunes holds your backup.

Restore. Updating will guarantee you a one-way ticket to restore anyways if you're on a jailbroken device.

Backup using Settings > iCloud on your device, or, make sure you tick "Backup to iCloud" in iTunes.

mefnj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you perform a backup using iTunes, it's on your computer and can only be used by iTunes or utilities that utilizes the iTunes core, so yes, your computer/iTunes holds your backup.

Restore. Updating will guarantee you a one-way ticket to restore anyways if you're on a jailbroken device.

Backup using Settings > iCloud on your device, or, make sure you tick "Backup to iCloud" in iTunes.

ok, so all that worked and i am at iOS7.0.4, and i allowed iTunes to restore everything from the backup. i have backed up the iPad once more locally and on iCloud, too.

can i still run Evasi0n in the future as per the tutorial http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-0-4-device-using-evasi0n7-windows-osx-4.html, or do i have to re-restore as a new device with nothing installed but the iOS?

-mark

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, you're good to go - any time you wish, you can run that evasi0n tool. You don't have to have an "empty" iPad to run the tool.

Marilyn

dhdillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings, I have recently jailbroke my iPad 3 in order to use an external GPS via BTstack GPS. However, I have come to find that BTstack GPS is not compatible iOS7. Does anyone know if there is an update in the works for BTstack, or of another application that I can use?

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings, I have recently jailbroke my iPad 3 in order to use an external GPS via BTstack GPS. However, I have come to find that BTstack GPS is not compatible iOS7. Does anyone know if there is an update in the works for BTstack, or of another application that I can use?

There is an update in the works. The developer, Matthias Ringwald had this to say on Jan 21, 2014:

"BTC Mouse & Trackpad will updated for iOS 7, probably beginning of February."

Yes, I know it's the beginning of February :))). But, I'm sure he's working hard to get it updated. So, all we can do is hang in there.

Marilyn

Buddhaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I've got a problem with sources. I added a source wrongly in cydia and so my cydia.list file is corrupted and when cydia loads it gives me an error. I used iFile to locate the file and edit it, removing the incorrect source but it doesn't seem to make any difference as every time I boot cydia it seems to download the corrupted cydia.list and overwrite the edited one and gives me an error. I want it to use my edited file. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks in advance!

***update*** I fixed the problem by editing /var/lib/cydia/metadata.plist and not just /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cydia.list. You've got to edit both files otherwise it just keeps reloading the corrupted list. I'm happy to have found this as I didn't want to re-jailbreak and I hope it helps someone else who has a corrupted sources list.

Last edited:

AfternoonShift

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JB my ipad2 last night, but after i ran the JB tool, all but like 5 apps were there. ie: photobooth app was there, but no photos and no app store. Very weird! Stuck updating to iOS 7.0.6. :eek:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JB my ipad2 last night, but after i ran the JB tool, all but like 5 apps were there. ie: photobooth app was there, but no photos and no app store. Very weird! Stuck updating to iOS 7.0.6. :eek:

The only way to update a jailbroken device is through an iTunes restore. OTA updates will net you a one-way to a restore anyways, so you might as well just restore.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just updated the first post with the following:

Apple has released an iOS update - iOS 7.0.6. This update provides a fix for SSL connection verification.

Granted, this fix is a good thing - but, at the moment, iOS 7.0.6 is not jailnreakable. So, if you value your jail break, do not upgrade.

We understand that an update for the jailbreaking tool evasi0n7 is being worked on (to make it work on iOS 7.0.6). Stay tuned for further updates.

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just updated the first post with the following:

Marilyn

To add on a little, depending on what @Evad3rs do, it's possible that 7.0.5 and below users can still take advantage of the SSL changes if they were to implement the same fix in the Evasi0n7 untethered patch, so you won't have to backup your tweaks, restore and re-jailbreak all over again. This is just theoretically speaking and assuming @Evad3rs are implementing the SSL changes in the patch. If not, other developers may push out the SSL fix/patch since almost anything SSL is open-sourced. It's yet to be confirmed by @Evad3rs or any reputable developers if it will be done, but is highly possible.

Last edited:
OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To add on a little, depending on what @Evad3rs do, it's possible that 7.0.5 and below users can still take advantage of the SSL changes if they were to implement the same fix in the Evasi0n7 untethered patch, so you won't have to backup your tweaks, restore and re-jailbreak all over again. This is just theoretically speaking and assuming @Evad3rs are implementing the SSL changes in the patch. If not, other developers may push out the SSL fix/patch since almost anything SSL is open-sourced. It's yet to be confirmed by @Evad3rs or any reputable developers if it will be done, but is highly possible.

Oh, now THAT will save some time and effort! :)

Again - we'll wait and see but that would be a great option.

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, now THAT will save some time and effort! :)

Again - we'll wait and see but that would be a great option.

Marilyn

Agreed. Hopefully it does pull through as it would make it a LOT more convenient for users that have a substantial amount of data and packages on their devices. The restoring of the iOS and packages as well as the process of restoring the tweak data can be a bit of a hassle.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
7.0.6 has received official support by Evasi0n7. There's no update to the Untether Package in Cydia, which would signify the integration of the SSL changes made to the stock iOS. Hopefully they or another reputable developer will release a package to address this issue.

Most reactions