What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS7 comes with a dictionary?

mesmerized

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Before I updated the system (the action I took too hastily and have regrets about) I read the list of updates that iOS7 brings with it... There was something about English-Chinese dictionary and I'm wondering now what Apple meant there. I was hoping an inbuilt app would be added but I can't find it. Was it just me or you guys also noticed a point about a dictionary?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
Before I updated the system (the action I took too hastily and have regrets about) I read the list of updates that iOS7 brings with it... There was something about English-Chinese dictionary and I'm wondering now what Apple meant there. I was hoping an inbuilt app would be added but I can't find it. Was it just me or you guys also noticed a point about a dictionary?

There is a blurb from Apple about iOS 7 having a "Chinese-English bilingual dictionary." I would think it'd be a default if you select China as your region (or live in China). But, it appears you can download the dictionary. To do:

Select a word and then picked the "Define" option from the pop-up:

(1) Pick Define (after selecting a word):

6usu9yqe.jpg

(2) Select the bottom left button ("Manage"):

ery9ysy5.jpg

(3) Then, scroll through the available dictionaries to find the Chinese-English one:

yqymyte4.jpg

(4) Press the cloud icon with the down arrow and I should think the dictionary will download to your iPad.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This also works in apps like iBooks, or basically any app that calls on the dictionary class. But the addition of more app support and such is a great addition in iOS 7. Definitely props to Apple

rjkgr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oooo nice! i never knew we had a dictionary? thanks

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe it was introduced in iOS 6. It's been a while but I think there was a dictionary addition with it. I'll look at the update notes to see if I can find it. I'm not sure if it's universal for iOS 6 as I've tweaked my iPad to be able to define it, but I've used it a few times in iBooks and a few other Apple-based apps like Pages. Thumbs up to Apple for not requiring you to open up a new tab in your browser or switch to your browser and manually Google it yourself.

Most reactions

Latest posts