What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS7.0.2 Simple Passcode problem

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As I said. It depends on the app. I can't give a general answer that fits all apps. List the apps you're worried about, and I'll see if I can figure out what each of them might do. Let's keep the discussion here from now on. It's getting confusing spreading it between two threads, and it might get us a finger shake from our friends and moderators. ;) I'm going to go back to the other thread and copy my last response here.
No problem. I'm going to copy your post on how to do a complete ( I forget the word ) re-do or do over, take it back to factory settings! Apps I have paid for will come back to me right? I might just try doing the saving on my own and if I get into trouble I will ask you. For instance, is all of my mail in all of my accounts kept in iCloud ? Oh I forgot! Thanks!!!!!! You have been wonderful helping me with this! :) my pulse is back to my normal! :) I was getting quite frantic for a few minutes and then you swooped in and saved me! :) my hero ! :D

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I'm going to copy your post on how to do a complete ( I forget the word ) re-do or do over, take it back to factory settings! Apps I have paid for will come back to me right? I might just try doing the saving on my own and if I get into trouble I will ask you. For instance, is all of my mail in all of my accounts kept in iCloud ?

My post lacked details, if I remember correctly, probably because I've never done a full restore on iOS 7. I'm pretty sure there's a better set of instructions hiding in all the new iOS 7 threads. I remember at least one link to Apple's support page on the subject. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if I can track it down.

All your apps will come back. The locally stored settings, data, and content (documents) will not. If the documents are important, save them by whatever method the app allows. You should figure out how to do this anyway. An iPad is not a good place to keep your only copy of anything.

Your iCloud email will remain untouched by anything you do to the iPad. It's in the cloud, not on the iPad.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I remember what the apple support said to do. Do a back up to the original IOS ! Before the pass code fiasco started. But I have NO idea how to do that! One other question. Once I am back to factory state does that mean I can't upgrade to any IOS but the one that my iPad came with? If I upgrade am I just going to end up with the same pass code problems? :-(

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As far as iCloud goes do I have to move all the emails I want to keep shuffled into iCloud. What about gmail.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I probably should not have called it a factory reset. It will end up with the iOS you currently have installed, or the newest iOS version; depending on the exact method used.

Doing the backup is so you can restore from a backup. In this case we're contemplating bypassing the backup restore because (even if we manage to use it) there is a good change it will simply re-introduce the problem. So, in this case, since you can't do a backup anyway, that particular step can be skipped.

With, of course, the reminder that you are going to lose stuff. Just, hopefully, not stuff you really care about; because you are going to copy it off the iPad first. That should include any photos in the camera roll and/or not already on the computer.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as iCloud goes do I have to move all the emails I want to keep shuffled into iCloud. What about gmail.
You set up Gmail account again, nothing will happen to the mails that are there. You'll be able to see them again afterwards.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You set up Gmail account again, nothing will happen to the mails that are there. You'll be able to see them again afterwards.

I somehow missed the GMail part. Thanks.

This is true of any IMAP or Exchange account type. The only account type at risk is a POP3 account, and only the emails already on the device will be affected (probably lost) (depending on settings). The account itself can always be set up again.

GMail, Yahoo, HotMail, and iCloud are all good to go, as are many others.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
But the emails I would like to keep from my POP acct. I can just move over to iCloud or gmail and they will come back? Yes? :)

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for saving me from the report police TPoet! BTW, have I told you lately how much I like your Avatar? Is that a pic of you? LOVE the hat! :)

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I will write down my settings from the pop 3 account and just set that up again,
After I get to factory reset do I have to stay in IOS 5 in order to avoid getting those pass codes again OR if I set up my own pass codes on those then upgrade the IOS probably won't mess with them? Yes? And if I do a sync in iTunes before I upgrade then I will definitely be able to do a simple reset, right? Because the simple pass code did t show up until IOS 7. Am I on the right track?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
But the emails I would like to keep from my POP acct. I can just move over to iCloud or gmail and they will come back? Yes? :)

Sure, you can either forward them to the other account, or use the Move option to move them to a folder in another account. Swipe left on the email list, choose More, then Move.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I will write down my settings from the pop 3 account and just set that up again,
After I get to factory reset do I have to stay in IOS 5 in order to avoid getting those pass codes again OR if I set up my own pass codes on those then upgrade the IOS probably won't mess with them? Yes? And if I do a sync in iTunes before I upgrade then I will definitely be able to do a simple reset, right? Because the simple pass code did t show up until IOS 7. Am I on the right track?

You are on iOS 7. The iPad will not revert to iOS 5 or any other earlier version. The iPad 'should' take you through the setup proceedure as if it had just come out of the box with iOS 7 installed.

I do recommend setting the restrictions passcode, for the reasons I said before. You should also take the time to record it somewhere in case you forget. If your iPad is subject to being picked up by strangers, then you should probably use the lock screen passcode too. iOS 7 will prompt you to set a passcode (for the lock screen) when it initializes. You can say no. Many people said yes without realizing it, and then wondered if they were stuck with a passcode to use their device. They were not. It can be turned back off.

Your rather strange situation where the restriction passcode set itself is usual. It's the first I've heard of it. I would not think it necessary to take any special precautions against it happening again, but it won't hurt. But, like I said, be sure to record it somewhere.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
:eek:I don't understand? If it is set to factory settings, and when I got it it was running IOS 5 -why wouldn't it go back to IOS 5? There is no way I can put those code's in when they are already set! Also, I was just in Settings and it says FIND my iPad MUST be on if I want to erase my iPad ? Can you please look at that, read what it says underneath and tell me if I am right or wrong about my interpretation when I read that. Thanks !! :):eek:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is why I said you need to follow someone else's instructions. You wont' be able to reset the iPad from the iPad's settings. You are going to have to use iTunes on the computer, and quite possibly the DFU mode (which I am not familiar with).

As for it not going back to iOS 5, it never will. That's just the way it is. When you upgrade and iPad it overwrites the old version of iOS. There is no going back.

Ok, here are Apples instructions to restore your device using iTunes.

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

You can ignore anything about backing it up or restoring from a backup. We've eliminated those as possibilities. You want to restore as new. There are additional links about error messages that you should follow if you get any.

Honestly, this is turning out to be a very difficult problem to sort out remotely. If this does not work, I'm at a complete loss as what to try next. Apple Support tech may be your only way out.

As I've said before, make sure you've got your important stuff saved before even starting this.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I still don't understand TPoet, I'm sorry. If I restore to factory reset but still get IOS7 and the restrictions pass code happened during the IOS 6 upgrade then the IOS 7 upgrade is going to think I, myself set it, and keep it and then I'm afaiw before I upgraded to IOS 7 . All the simple pass code does is shut down the iPad every 4 hrs if you don't have a lock code on right? I could be wrong about that, but that's what I read. So I might as well continue with my iPad as it is!
The Good news is when I synced the iPad iTunes recognized my computer but would not sync with it. I guess I have a LOT of reading to do. That is where I have been BTW! Upgrading the latest iTunes and trying to sync my iPad. But I couldn't find that option anywhere! Thank you again, TPoet , you are such a wealth of information and I appreciate your sharing more than you could ever know! Thanks, buddy! I will start reading now. Tutorials coming out my ears! Sweet dreams TPoet!

Most reactions

Latest posts