What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS7.0.2 Simple Passcode problem

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can I do that just by syncing thru iTunes on my laptop? And I JUST found out that I have two pass codes I don't know about! The one on restrictions and the (I forget already ) but is there a simple pass code lock? Something like that! SCARY!!

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe: Try Reset All Settings in Settings > General > Reset. It won't erase anything, or affect account settings, but many/most other settings will go back to default. If there is some glitchy setting in Settings causing problems, I give it an even chance of fixing things.

Otherwise, you may have to do the clean restore, yet again.

Thanks, twerppoet, and apologies for the delay in acknowledging that your Reset suggestion worked - I can now, and have, recreated my more complex security code than the default four digits.

A slight warning to anyone who goes down that route: whilst most settings were retained, I did lose all my wifi log-ins and whilst hardly life-threatening it will prove a right royal pain in the fundament as I travel around a lot and it took some serious (and occasionally devious) negotiating to get some of the passwords!

Still, into every life a little rain must fall!

Thanks again, twerppoet.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, twerppoet, and apologies for the delay in acknowledging that your Reset suggestion worked - I can now, and have, recreated my more complex security code than the default four digits.

A slight warning to anyone who goes down that route: whilst most settings were retained, I did lose all my wifi log-ins and whilst hardly life-threatening it will prove a right royal pain in the fundament as I travel around a lot and it took some serious (and occasionally devious) negotiating to get some of the passwords!

Still, into every life a little rain must fall!

Thanks again, twerppoet.

No problem. I'm glad it worked.

And thanks for the heads up on losing the wi-fi settings. I had not realized those got cleared, since they have their own Reset option; Reset Network Settings.

Good luck getting all your networks running again.

May I suggest a good passcode app to store them in this time? I like 1Password, but if you're not up to the expense there are plenty of others, just as secure, if not as versatile and cross platform friendly. Or you could wait for the upcoming iCloud Keychain feature, though there is no telling how long that wait will be.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As requested by squid I will spend time tomorrow Australian time to seek answers to your problems. At this time I have no answer as it appears to affect only some users. My clients and users whom have upgraded here are not reporting this issue so I ask you please bear with me .

Thanks Colin.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, twerppoet.

I do have 1Password but never thought of storing wifi log-ins in there as I had assumed (a dangerous practice) that once stored in settings they would never need entering manually again!

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As requested by squid I will spend time tomorrow Australian time to seek answers to your problems. At this time I have no answer as it appears to affect only some users. My clients and users whom have upgraded here are not reporting this issue so I ask you please bear with me .

Thanks Colin.

No problem! Just glad you are going to help. I'm not in a hurry, have waited since the upgrade to IOS 6 thru IOS 7. Thanks for looking into it.
I also will keep trying to fix it. Thanks Colin, much appreciated!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, twerppoet.

I do have 1Password but never thought of storing wifi log-ins in there as I had assumed (a dangerous practice) that once stored in settings they would never need entering manually again!

You are welcome. I store just about all my sensitive (I might lose or forget) things there: Even software license codes and credit card numbers.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I'm glad it worked. And thanks for the heads up on losing the wi-fi settings. I had not realized those got cleared, since they have their own Reset option; Reset Network Settings. Good luck getting all your networks running again. May I suggest a good passcode app to store them in this time? I like 1Password, but if you're not up to the expense there are plenty of others, just as secure, if not as versatile and cross platform friendly. Or you could wait for the upcoming iCloud Keychain feature, though there is no telling how long that wait will be.
I tried that But it won't let me because of the pass code on restriction that got inserted when I updated to IOS 6.
I'm wondering if I can even do a proper back up because of this restrictions pass code. Could you do me a fa our and open your restrictions in Settings>General > Restrictions? Please take a screen shot of that last page so I can see what it is I'm missing in terms of what settings are in there? I would be so grateful, thank you!

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As requested by squid I will spend time tomorrow Australian time to seek answers to your problems. At this time I have no answer as it appears to affect only some users. My clients and users whom have upgraded here are not reporting this issue so I ask you please bear with me . Thanks Colin.
Also please read the previous post to this one. Thanks Colin . When you have time. :) thank you!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I tried that But it won't let me because of the pass code on restriction that got inserted when I updated to IOS 6. I'm wondering if I can even do a proper back up because of this restrictions pass code. Could you do me a fa our and open your restrictions in Settings>General > Restrictions? Please take a screen shot of that last page so I can see what it is I'm missing in terms of what settings are in there? I would be so grateful, thank you!

There's actually two full screen worth of settings.
image-717773686.jpg
image-3523696702.jpg

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Holy cow! So how do I save written content that I have stored in apps onto my laptop? Do I go into specific apps and then copy and paste?
Thanks for the photo's too! I put them in my library! :D

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do I have to put tHem in iTunes or can I create folders on my laptop that has nothing to do with iTunes?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As I said. It depends on the app. I can't give a general answer that fits all apps.

List the apps you're worried about, and I'll see if I can figure out what each of them might do.

Let's keep the discussion here from now on. It's getting confusing spreading it between two threads, and it might get us a finger shake from our friends and moderators. ;)

I'm going to go back to the other thread and copy my last response here.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here are the posts that lead to my part of the discussion here, to fill in the gaps for anyone confused by our accidental thread hopping.

Here' s a screen shot of what I get when I push reset!
revununu.jpg

I don't have the pass code because it was set up when I upgraded to IOS 6! There is no way of me knowing how to unlock it,this si for the restriction pass code, not the simple pass code which I am also blocked from when I upgraded to IOS 7! :-(

Yes, that's the normal screen when you select the Restrictions settings.

You'll probably have to do a clean restore, no restoring from a backup. I haven't tried this yet, but my understanding is you have to turn off Find My iPhone/iPad and be ready to enter your Apple ID and password. I seem to remember you talking with someone else about this before, but am not sure how it all worked out. I saw you were being taken care of by people who do jailbreaking and figured they know more about restoring an iPad to factory than I do, with that ultimate DFU mode restore and all.

At any rate, the restrictions passcode should not stop you from doing a clean restore. I might cause problems when trying to restore from backup, since the backup usually contains the passcodes and puts them back (or so I seem to remember).

Of course, a clean restore means a lot of work getting all your apps and data back to where they need to be. And you need to prepare for it by saving all your documents and stuff, because you won't be able to pull them from a backup. Lots of work before and after.

But I think you are in real good hands with Colin, and don't want to interfere with his recommendations and confuse the issue; so listen to him if there's any confusion between us.

Good luck

Hey TPoet,
How do I save all of my written documents, like the one's I have in wisdom Writer? I really don't know how to get what's on my iPad (except for photos ) onto my laptop. There is no way to explore my iPad from my laptop is there? And if I can't do a reset because of that fricken restrictions pass code why will I be able to do a full restore? Aren't all those pass codes set up so that if someone stole my iPad they wouldn't be able to use it? Or are they there just so someone beside you or in your house can't get into it? What are pass codes for? Thanks again TPoet

How you get data out of an app depends on the app. You'll just have to explore it's options and see what it can do.

Different passcodes have different purposes.

The main, screen lock, passcode is to keep nosy or malicious people out. It can be the short 4 digit code or a longer alphanumeric password, depending on settings. Or, you can just turn it off under general settings.

The restrictions passcode is to lock down an iPad for use by others (usually kids) so they can't change, buy, or look at things they should not. I've made a habit of enabling this passcode myself so that no one else can lock me out of my own iPad's settings. It might have prevented your restrictions code from getting set randomly too, though for the life of me I can't figure out how a passcode got set by an iOS upgrade.

The new iOS 7 requirement for your Apple ID when restoring and iOS devices is to discourage theft. The crook can't restore your iPad without also having your Apple ID. The theory is that if they can't sell or use the device then they won't bother stealing it.

Most reactions