What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS6 Release Date has nearly arrived

loveyday

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes! Aside from all the iPhone 5 excitement today, Apple also officially announced iOS 6 of course, which will be available to download in one week’s time, Wednesday, September 19, which is just two days before the iPhone 5 goes on sale. It will be available for the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, the new iPad, iPad 2, and iPod touch, but sadly not the first-generation iPad.

Attachments

• iOS_61.JPG
    iOS_61.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 511

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
It was announced and than released that same day if I am not mistaken...but my memory memory may be off. The big day was on a Wednesday and everybody wanted to do their update that day. This forum was extremely busy here. I was not a Moderator yet, but those who were and still are were all very busy.

Personally, I tried 3 times to update on the day of release. I finally succeeded, but it was a long process. I assume with this new update it can be done OTA and hoping it will be just as quick as the last 2 updates of 5.01 and 5.1...

I'm with ya on it being easier and faster than 5.01. Although, I waited a long time on that one after hearing all of the server overload stories. I'm sure it will all work out in the end and well live happily ever after. :)

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sun King said:
So if I install ios6 will I loose the google map feature I already have ?

As others have said , I will hold off on the install until the dust settles .

No need to wait. Just do a tethered backup before you do the upgrade; that way you can revert back any time you want to 5.1.1.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ummm, a word of caution.

At this time, once Apple has closed the signing window, there is no way to go back to iOS 5.1.1 after you have upgraded to iOS 6.

And, expect the signing window to close within 24 to 48 hours (closer to 24), if past actions by Apple are any indication.

So, don't go up to iOS 6 expecting that you can go back down if you don't like that version. Just FYI...

Marilyn

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Ummm, a word of caution.

At this time, once Apple has closed the signing window, there is no way to go back to iOS 5.1.1 after you have upgraded to iOS 6.

And, expect the signing window to close within 24 to 48 hours (closer to 24), if past actions by Apple are any indication.

So, don't go up to iOS 6 expecting that you can go back down if you don't like that version. Just FYI...

Marilyn

If I do a full backup, wipe the iPad, then do are store from the backup....how is that prevented by iOS 6?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I do a full backup, wipe the iPad, then do are store from the backup....how is that prevented by iOS 6?

You are not able to restore any version IOS that you choose. You can only restore a version of IOS which Apple authorise, and they only authorise the "current" version of IOS for restore. So, once IOS6 is released IOS5 cannot be restored. There are some exceptions, but these are NOT valid for IOS6 and the iPad2 / iPad3.

A "full" backup is only relevant to the content of your iPad, not the Operating System it is running. Only your app settings and data are backed up.

More info here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/59291-shsh-blobs-faq-new-improved-2012-a.html

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ummm, a word of caution.

Marilyn
What exactly is a signing window???

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe we should review what is backed up and how for any new folks--and also remind others. IOW, what is backed up with Icloud, what is not and how to be sure your data is preserved along with anything else.

Most reactions

Latest posts