What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5 worth the update?

DavidBruce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anybody in the UK have the weather and real time stock quotes functions - I have upgraded to IOS 5 and don't seem to have this new functionality...

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DavidBruce said:
Does anybody in the UK have the weather and real time stock quotes functions - I have upgraded to IOS 5 and don't seem to have this new functionality...

apparently that's for iphone

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DavidBruce said:
It is a bad decision on apples part a lot of people will not be able to print due to this shutting down of the printing interface.

I'm printing fine with Printer Pro

jackblack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TrxSlash said:
They are easier ways to navigate. When an app is open, take 4 fingers and swipe left or right, this toggles through you apps without having to go back to the home screen. While in an app, instead of pressing the home button take 5 fingers and pinch them together on the screen, this will exit out of the app.

That's all I know right now.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Thank u, very helpful. I did not know this. :)

Sent from my iPad 2

tglaze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NYHorsewoman said:
I'm printing fine with Printer Pro

I thought I would give Printer Pro a try and it works great. Thanks

The new iOS is great. Totally worth it.

Last edited:

taniayeoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TrxSlash said:
They are easier ways to navigate. When an app is open, take 4 fingers and swipe left or right, this toggles through you apps without having to go back to the home screen. While in an app, instead of pressing the home button take 5 fingers and pinch them together on the screen, this will exit out of the app.

That's all I know right now.

Thanks! This is very informative! Rather similar to how magic mouse works.

taniayeoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh no, I've problem trying to sync my iPhone and iPad after upgrading to iOS 5. Can anyone advise me?

I upgraded 2 days ago, no issue so far and have been happily exploring the new gestures, notification and all.

Now is my 1st time trying to sync after the upgrade. But a message box appears saying that my 'iPhone / iPad could not be synced because sync session failed to start.'

H

hazi1610

Just to add my comments to this. Yes, iOS5 is well worth the update. I have come from a jail broken 4.3.3 and so far, not tempted to go back.

I love not having the stupid notification box popup while I'm in the middle of doing something, now I can continue to work and go deal with the notification later.

The messenger app is great too, I've been using it a lot.

Wifi sync,not tried it yet but have it set up and ready to do, just need to make the effort to fire up my laptop. Lol.

I'm finding safari works better too.

Have had some minor problems but don't thing they are to do with the update as they've been sorted out really easily.

Can't think what else offhand but I love iOS5, oh yes find my friends is a neat feature too.

from Alison, sent from ipad2 us

TomW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Milliebert said:
Just email the document to the printer. It works for me, I don't even get any headers or email info on the printout.

Thanks Milliebert, a practical solution. Ok I cannot print the way I used to I.e. use the print function and select print n share as the printer. Now use the open with option and select print n save, or email.

oOxEP1CToMxOo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't Update!!!

iOS 5 is absolutely rubbish! I waited for ever waiting to get an email saying when it is released having signed up to be notified but i still havent got the email. It is way more laggy and glitchy, safari is meant to be faster but it isnt responding too well and it doesnt have tabbed browsing. The camera looks like it is worse quality than before and i spent ages trying to zoom on it. iCloud backup still hasnt backed up and when ever my ipod is connect to my home network, itunes automaticly opens and the computer freezes. The only good thing is that you can syync whilst still using your idevice. I have an ipod touch 4 and these are most of the errors i have but i dont know if it is different on ipads or iphones. So i say wait till there is another update to fix these errors.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TomW said:
No!!! Are some nice things, like a camera button. Notifications is a nice to have. For me the killer is that they have blocked printing to non AirPrint printers via 3rd party apps such as print n share. I will now have to buy an AirPrint printer and persuade my university/business to change printers too! I am looking for a way to downgrade.

I agree -- I am going bonkers trying to figure out what I should do. I used the print to PDF feature too. PnS emailed some workarounds

All of the other printing options are still available such as "Open in", server printing, internal email, iWorks via iwork.com, internal browser, Safari via "zhttp:" etc.

This page describes printing emails from inside this App:
http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/help.html#email

This is the Web page printing help:
http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/help.html#webprint1

This help page describes printing from Pages/Numbers:
http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/help.html#iworkprint

They have not been all that useful. Very disappointed.

Mike.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Milliebert said:
Just email the document to the printer. It works for me, I don't even get any headers or email info on the printout.

Would you please post information on how you setup and configure things to do that.

Thanks

Mike

H

hazi1610

oOxEP1CToMxOo said:
iOS 5 is absolutely rubbish! I waited for ever waiting to get an email saying when it is released having signed up to be notified but i still havent got the email. It is way more laggy and glitchy, safari is meant to be faster but it isnt responding too well and it doesnt have tabbed browsing. The camera looks like it is worse quality than before and i spent ages trying to zoom on it. iCloud backup still hasnt backed up and when ever my ipod is connect to my home network, itunes automaticly opens and the computer freezes. The only good thing is that you can syync whilst still using your idevice. I have an ipod touch 4 and these are most of the errors i have but i dont know if it is different on ipads or iphones. So i say wait till there is another update to fix these errors.

You can't be serious surely? I'm having no problems at all and neither is my friend or most people as far as I know.

I'm a jailbreak fanatic and am not even tempted to go back because iOS 5 is so much better.

from Alison, sent from ipad2 us

OP
TrxSlash

TrxSlash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oOxEP1CToMxOo said:

Thats weird....I have tabbed browsing in safari. And it seems to be running faster than when I bought it 2 weeks ago. I love the update. I debated on updating or not and I'm glad I did!

Most reactions