What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5 worth the update?

TomW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No!!! Are some nice things, like a camera button. Notifications is a nice to have. For me the killer is that they have blocked printing to non AirPrint printers via 3rd party apps such as print n share. I will now have to buy an AirPrint printer and persuade my university/business to change printers too! I am looking for a way to downgrade.

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TomW said:
No!!! Are some nice things, like a camera button. Notifications is a nice to have. For me the killer is that they have blocked printing to non AirPrint printers via 3rd party apps such as print n share. I will now have to buy an AirPrint printer and persuade my university/business to change printers too! I am looking for a way to downgrade.

Just email the document to the printer. It works for me, I don't even get any headers or email info on the printout.

VitaW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's been a bit slow on my iPad 1 but I love the features that I got. No gestures for me though and it was really looking forward to that. I love the tabs in safari and I love the notifications. All in all a good upgrade.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
VitaW said:
It's been a bit slow on my iPad 1 but I love the features that I got. No gestures for me though and it was really looking forward to that. I love the tabs in safari and I love the notifications. All in all a good upgrade.

Mine was slow so I restarted, hold on/off button until slider appears then slide to turn off, press on/off button and home button for about 1 or 2 seconds to start again. After that it seems faster than before although the odd app runs slightly slower.

gordonk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm one of the ones that had trouble with the upgrade. My restore didn't work correctly so I'm in the middle of re-installing over 200 apps! Data seems to be intact. I even waited until this morning.

jackblack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, update is totally worth it. :) when you all say "gestures" what is that?

Sent from my iPad 2

Ingoiolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on iPad 1, and I cannot find a single reason why this OS would be anything more than a marginal improvement on the previous version

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackbelt said:
Greatest IOS yet....200 plus new features. I really like the ability to hold my IPhone 4s and take a picture using the volume button as the shutter button than the button on the screen. The voice command on iPhone is unbelievable.
I'm really going to like that on the 4S. I had it on my Droid but on the crappy Sammy Android I've had for 14 months, I've had to push the button on the screen like on the iPhone 4.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on iPad 1, and I cannot find a single reason why this OS would be anything more than a marginal improvement on the previous version

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cloud Services
IMessage
Split key boards
Share documents/ photos
News stand
Safari Tabbing
Just to name a few. These are NOT marginal improvements not to mention that it will even get better with future updates.

Buzzfriend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spent a day (seriously ...far too much work) upgrading iPad and iPod. iPad didn;t work well and i have lost all my music and movies and photo albums (but the imported photos stayed go figure). I used to all 4 media to copy photos but that does;t work now (but I'm sure it will catch up). But I love I message; the new Facebook app; safari tabbing.

Anyone got any ideas apart from waiting for 4 media to sort themselves out for me to be able to copy photos in small albums?

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Totally lovin' it! The gestures are awesome! I love not having to hit the home button all the time and just swyping through apps! I also love Safari now and it seems very fast! I really don't get or feel I need the cloud though. Maybe that will take me a little while and I have a Windows Vista machine, I really don't need to back up to save stuff, I just wanted to back up to make sure my apps would all be returned if there was ever a problem. The photo stream is kinda cool. I'm not loving the split keyboard though, kind of annoying actually, but I can understand how some would like that. I love using my Apple bluetooth keyboard anyway. Oh, love the announcement pulldown notifications, that's great! Need to keep trying all the apps to see if anything isn't working, but I'm very glad to have the upgrade. Oh! Love the new calendar functions as well! Although I would love to be able to change and select my own color scheme for the calendar, kind of ugly. Oh, adding bold, italic etc, in mail is really nice. But is there a folder system yet in there? Haven't checked that.

Lovin' it!

Oh, where's the camera button on the lock screen or is that just for the phone?

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NYHorsewoman said:
Oh, where's the camera button on the lock screen or is that just for the phone?

They didn't include it.

That's my least favorite theme taken from Apple this week. Removing or leaving out features that are obviously useable on other devices. Siri - iPad 2 and iPhone 4, Gestures - iPad 1, photo button - iPad 2

dn_rodrigues

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In general I liked it, great new features and all... But as an iPad 1 user since it was launched, I was bitterly disappointed with the lack of multitouch gestures. I had been using them for months after I had enabled them via xcode and now they're gone. Hope Apple changes it's mind about it. Also, I didn't like the changes in the music app, the former iPod app... I liked it better the way it was before...

Most reactions

Latest posts