What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5 update notification

Lysin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I've just updated to iOS 5.0.

As Apple released 5.0.1 yesterday, my iPad now shows a notification bubble saying a new update is available (and that is already downloaded into my iPad :eek:). Any way to avoid this? I don't want to "accidentely" update and I hate the notification bubble showing all the time.

Any advice?

Thanks

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lysin said:
Hi, I've just updated to iOS 5.0.

As Apple released 5.0.1 yesterday, my iPad now shows a notification bubble saying a new update is available (and that is already downloaded into my iPad :eek:). Any way to avoid this? I don't want to "accidentely" update and I hate the notification bubble showing all the time.

Any advice?

Thanks

To do the update you have to press the download and install tab. Maybe if you just go to the software update page this may get rid of the bubble. I never got a bubble but I've been to the page and it is there ready for me to download. But I don't want to update either at this point. General then up the top of the page Software Update press this and it takes you to the page describing the update and what is in it. Just don't press Download and Install. it may be like the appstore updates bubble which just stays there until you do update. Hope this solves the bubble issue, let us know if it does.

OP
L

Lysin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated to iOS5 and at first run the download was automatic. I saw the description (about 5 times now ... Lol) and the notification just wont go away. And it says that it is ready to install...

Its really annoying... Maybe i'll try restoring all over again to see if the the problem gets solved.

OP
L

Lysin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I restored again to iOS 5.0 .

This time I didn't typed in my wifi password, just in case. After first boot and iTunes configuration I rebooted and, so far, the bubble is no longer there and now it shows "download and install" instead of "Downloaded" and "Ready to Install" in updates.

Let' see if it stays this way for long... :p

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you worked that one out. I'm wondering if you are not updating because of the jailbreak possibility?

OP
L

Lysin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its back... I give up! I'll just be extra carefull and won't let anyone touch my baby! :p

You're right... I'm hoping for the Jb to come out for iOS 5 . And since its rumored to work only on 5.0, im holding back for now. I will miss some cydia apps tough, but I can live with that.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no. I wonder why you got the bubble in the first place. Where is it by the way. I don't have it and have not heard it from anyone else. I guess you're lucky :) not. I'm staying on 5 also, haven't made up my mind on the jailbreak scenario, really don't know what the difference is, so I may jump in if one does come available just to see what the fuss is about.

OP
L

Lysin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's easier if I show you...

Its a bit annoying but hopefully someone finds out how to avoid this auto download feature... =\

Attachments

• image-1089213670.png
    image-1089213670.png
    558.7 KB · Views: 1,322
  • image-1586715405.png
    image-1586715405.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,155

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I don't have the bubble, but when I go into settings it says 'download and install now' not just 'install now'. So yours has already downloaded it and is waiting for install. I wonder why the difference? Don't try to restore to 5.0 again though, they've stopped signing it now and you'd go straight to 5.1.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine is installed too and waiting for download. I have what I think you are calling the "bubble". It is what's referred to as a "badge" wnd can be turned off or on in apps but not for settings LOL. I haven't been doing the wifi backup but plan to do it tonight before installing---unless I find a reason not to.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only reason not to is if you are waiting for a JB they are working on one right now for 5.0. So if you want to JB do not update from 5.0. Having said that we don't know how long that could take.

OP
L

Lysin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only reason not to is if you are waiting for a JB they are working on one right now for 5.0. So if you want to JB do not update from 5.0. Having said that we don't know how long that could take.

If we take a look at previous bugs found that led to a JB, we will be waiting for a couple of months. Anyway, I will be keeping attention to the Dev team and see what they have to say.

witleyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just updated my IPad with IOS 5 software and all my PDFs have disappeared in my iBooks. Anyone have any tips?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You need to sync with iTunes again and sync with iPad. They are there but need to be done manually. Should be okay after that it you backuped before the update.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's easier if I show you...

Its a bit annoying but hopefully someone finds out how to avoid this auto download feature... =\

7046d1321032654t-ios5-update-notification-image-1089213670.png7047d1321032657t-ios5-update-notification-image-1586715405.png
I have the exact same issue. Does anyone know how to remove the "1" red badge on the Settings icon???? I also want to eliminate the chance of accidently installing the iOS update.

Most reactions

Latest posts