What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5 Tips and Tricks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What does undocked or split do before I actually try it?
Here is what undocked looks like.

image-1457849729.jpg.

image-1716246170.jpgThis is split.

image-3696542202.jpgThis is undocked and split.

gabe102

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I'll ask, why would one want to do either? The only advantage I can see would be to be able to see icons? Am I missing something? Thanks for your feedback!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I'll ask, why would one want to do either? The only advantage I can see would be to be able to see icons? Am I missing something? Thanks for your feedback!
Sometimes, on very rare occasions, you need an undocked or split keyboard (or both); for filling out specific kinds of forms, e.g.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The idea behind splitting the keyboard is that the thumbs can reach every key in their half of the keyboard. You could then type messages or other texts while holding the iPad in both hands.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The idea behind splitting the keyboard is that the thumbs can reach every key in their half of the keyboard. You could then type messages or other texts while holding the iPad in both hands.

My sister does this on her new iPad mini.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

My 3 daughters do it this way on their minis also......they are oh so quick with their thumbs too ;)

Gailr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Re-naming folder

Honesty, save yourself a headache and just slide any apps you don't want to be looking at the easy way. I moved news stand in about 5 seconds by using the method previously mentioned. Put your finger on the app till it jiggles. Keep your finger on it, then drag off to the side. You need to just keep it for a second on the edge of the screen and it will whoosh on over to the next screen. Keep going till you've got it where you want it.
Alternatively, slide two of your seldom used apps on top of each other and rename the folder 'seldom used apps' or whatever and store them all in there by jiggling them and sliding them.

Could you please tell me how to rename a folder? Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you please tell me how to rename a folder? Thanks.
Hi, welcome to iPF!

If a folder already exists, you can rename it by opening it and tapping and holding one of the apps until they start to wiggle:

image-4092936314.jpg

Now you can tap the folder's name and change it:

image-1754443692.jpg

Bookslive

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found some very convenient features. If you frequently type "I love you" you can set up a HAND and when you type HAND it will become I love you in your text message!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by a moderator:

shadow4845

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I tend to fat finger my texts when sending emails and texting my daughter who has a Ipad mini. I've built a hand full of short one-liners when texting. Saves me a bunch of time. (@@)
Thanks much.
Shadow

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a feature I just learned today. At the top right of the Safari window is a row of icons; share sheet, new tab, and tabs list. Long-pressing the new tab button (the "+" icon) will yield a scrolling list of recently closed tabs. Quite handy if you happen to accidentally close a tab and want to bring it back. I'm not sure when this feature was included in iOS but it works perfectly on my iPad Air 2.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a feature I just learned today. At the top right of the Safari window is a row of icons; share sheet, new tab, and tabs list. Long-pressing the new tab button (the "+" icon) will yield a scrolling list of recently closed tabs. Quite handy if you happen to accidentally close a tab and want to bring it back. I'm not sure when this feature was included in iOS but it works perfectly on my iPad Air 2.

Very nice Ard! Love that tip! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts