What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5 Tips and Tricks

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you don't use News Stand and want to hide it from the home screen, here's how. Take two apps and merge them to create a folder. The ---VERY QUICKLY---drag and drop News Stand into it. You have to be quick. It took me a few minutes and quite a few attempts to get it to work.

Apparently you must drag it back out of the folder for it to work.

Anyway, I no longer have to stare at that empty News Stand!

Memphis_Raines

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a quick one about photo stream, and please correct me if I've got this wrong, but every photo you take gets uploaded to your photostream in icloud, you cannot, it seems, delete individual photos out of the cloud, only re-set the entire stream, just thought it worth a mention if there are, ahem, any consenting adults out there who may take they odd picture they would prefer to not immediately appear on every other ios5 device they own, or be stored on line, then you should probably switch photostream off...

Sean

prodenver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In camera you can click the + button on your volume switch to take a picture rather than having to hit the camera icon to trigger it.

And, you can now sort your photos into albums. In photos click on albums, edit, and you'll be asked to name the album. Then select the photos you want in that album. Great addition!

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just use my last home screen for icons that I rarely or never use. Just keep moving that jiggling icon to the right until it makes a new screen for "forgettables".

Amy623

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Emoji Keyboard is now free for everyone on IOS5.

Simply go to Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards > Add New Keyboard, and select emoji from the list.

Now you will be able to press the little "globe" key on the keyboard and include pics in your iMessages, emails, etc.

Make sure all your friends with iPads and iPhones on IOS5 enable it too, for tons of emoji fun!

I had no clue about this!! Thanks a million!!!!

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When entering a web address, tap and hold the . to get options for the end - .net, .com, etc.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all of these awesome tips!

No one has mentioned this yet, but I thought I would just mention the gestures:
1. With four fingers toward the bottom of the screen, swipe up to get your task bar.
2. With four fingers toward the center of the screen, pinch to close an app.
3. With four fingers, swipe right to toggle between apps.

I think those are the only three, or the only three I know!

bkreso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Milliebert said:
Staying with the keyboard theme... If you press and hold the keyboard key and undock it, you can then hold that same key to slide the keyboard up and down the screen.

Also, for those that don't know...
To get accented letters, such as é, ö, ä or æ, hold the letter down for a couple of seconds on the keyboard and a little selection of different accented letters pops up.

furthermore be aware that when you are typing fast and if you drag quickly up from letter that you have to press to get accented letters, you will end up with accented letter that match your language. If you have two such letters in your language ( as we do in Croatia, i.e.: c -> č ć) then you move slightly to the right to get second letter. If you stay a second longer on keyboard letter (c in my example) then you will be presented with full range of accented letters option as Milliebert stated. I found this feature very helpfull for fast 2-hand typing including proper accented letters.

loaderopp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, it is possible to move items to a new Home screen, though if you want to move them by several screens your method is quicker. If you just want to move them to the next screen, then press and hold until they jiggle then drag the icon to the edge of the screen and hold it there for a second and it will suddenly move to the next screen.

Tim

Thank you so much. what a great tip. And it works on iphone4 as well.

Last edited:

sd3sign

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you get notifications on your lock screen, you can hold the app icon for the notification and it will turn into a slide to view slider. Allows you to g direct to the app instead of using the usual slide to unlock and searching for the app.

Cool, never knew this. Just waiting for a notification now so I can test ;-)

sd3sign

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all of these awesome tips!

No one has mentioned this yet, but I thought I would just mention the gestures:
1. With four fingers toward the bottom of the screen, swipe up to get your task bar.
2. With four fingers toward the center of the screen, pinch to close an app.
3. With four fingers, swipe right to toggle between apps.

I think those are the only three, or the only three I know!

Cool thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts