What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5 releases October 12th as a free upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELSELS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPGRADE to iOS 5 - FINISHED - iPad (Version 1) - DONE! :D :thumbs:

Time Elapsed: 20 minutes - TOTAL!

Smooth as silk, not any problems, upgraded via Wireless Connection, on my (used, but new to me) - MacBook Pro laptop.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Well, that was as cool and effortless as eating ice cream on a hot summer day, deliciously - fun and easy..! ;)

Bare in mind, I bought my iPad (1), used, and the previous owner (seller) reset it to the factory settings, nothing on
it stored, such any extras APPS, No Songs, Video, etc..

I can understand that with current owners/users with years of data, 20 minutes to Upgrade would not be the normal run time experience.

So, now, I have my (used, but new to me) - iPod Touch enroute to me, for delivery tomorrow, Friday, October 14) to upgrade to iOS 5,
if the seller hasn't done so already? (Still awaiting additional information on whether they had time before shipping, to upgrade or not?)

This was a great, very easy experience for me, and as a new/first time iPad owner/user, I couldn't have asked for much better overall experience.

So far, Apple has a definitely 100% - :thumbs: two thumbs up :thumbs: rating from me... :) - very please with the results.

I hope everyone else, has an equal and uneventful smooth upgrading process...

Thanks for reading,

Ed

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ELSELS said:
Hello,

What is that? Sounds like a software program? Were does one find it?

Thanks!

Ed

My iPad won't and never did charge on my PC. Is this normal?

Sent from my Verizon 64GB Black iPad2 using iPF

wigsajumper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
My iPad won't and never did charge on my PC. Is this normal?

Sent from my Verizon 64GB Black iPad2 using iPF

Most pc USB ports only supply 5 watts iPad needs 10 watts to charge so yes that is normal

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wigsajumper said:
Most pc USB ports only supply 5 watts iPad needs 10 watts to charge so yes that is normal

The PC slow charge has worked well for me though. I learned to ignore that 'Not Charging' message.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPGRADE to iOS 5 - FINISHED - iPad (Version 1) - DONE! :D :thumbs:

Time Elapsed: 20 minutes - TOTAL!

Smooth as silk, not any problems, upgraded via Wireless Connection, on my (used, but new to me) - MacBook Pro laptop.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Well, that was as cool and effortless as eating ice cream on a hot summer day, deliciously - fun and easy..! ;)

Bare in mind, I bought my iPad (1), used, and the previous owner (seller) reset it to the factory settings, nothing on
it stored, such any extras APPS, No Songs, Video, etc..

I can understand that with current owners/users with years of data, 20 minutes to Upgrade would not be the normal run time experience.

So, now, I have my (used, but new to me) - iPod Touch enroute to me, for delivery tomorrow, Friday, October 14) to upgrade to iOS 5,
if the seller hasn't done so already? (Still awaiting additional information on whether they had time before shipping, to upgrade or not?)

This was a great, very easy experience for me, and as a new/first time iPad owner/user, I couldn't have asked for much better overall experience.

So far, Apple has a definitely 100% - :thumbs: two thumbs up :thumbs: rating from me... :) - very please with the results.

I hope everyone else, has an equal and uneventful smooth upgrading process...

Thanks for reading,

Ed
Nicely done...and congratulations. You do realize you've lost your Apple virginity though, right? :D

guavaluv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does the iMessenger work how do I get now which contacts I can talk to? My iPad has a sim card with a number that I don't know so how do I connect with my friends?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ELSELS said:
Hello,

I sure hope that once I have my iPad's battery fully charged, and start the upgrade process, to iOS 5, it won't take HOURS, as I
haven't any idea as to how long will my battery lasts, throughout the upgrade process?

Shouldn't the iPad enter a special reserve power mode as it is needed, during this process?

Seems to me, once you start the upgrade process, (as we are running only on battery power), how can our devices last for hours/days?

Thanks!

Ed

Don't worry too much about the battery, I had mine fully charged when I did the update, it took 2 hours and my battery only went down to 92%. Hope that helps

ELSELS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't worry too much about the battery, I had mine fully charged when I did the update, it took 2 hours and my battery only went down to 92%. Hope that helps

Hello,

Ok, Good to hear the encouraging words attesting to the high battery duration/capacity quality for the iPad...

Thanks!

Ed

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does the iMessenger work how do I get now which contacts I can talk to? My iPad has a sim card with a number that I don't know so how do I connect with my friends?
How does iMessage (not iMessenger which is a separate app) work? Based on posts, not very well right now due to Apple's servers being so overloaded. I'm sure that will improve though.

Here's a nice little video about it (this is from a iOS 5 Beta install)...

You can use it between yourself and anyone else that has iMessage on their iPad, iPhone or iPod. It works over WiFi or if you have 3G.

It's very much like sending/receiving texts, but it's free; there's no text charge from a carrier.​

Last edited by a moderator:

HoJo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
I haven't gotten to the iTunes/iCloud sync bit yet...trying to keep up with posts on the iPF and such. I also thought I'd give their servers some time to cool down after all of this as well. :) Let me know if you get it sorted...it didn't sound too complicated.

At the moment you can only access "purchased" music. What I was looking for is iTunes Match, which is coming soon.

HoJo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
purnomosetiawan said:
finally i get there..after many many issue, like error 3002 like others had. i download it manually 'cause with itunes it takes forever.
some dumb question... why does the ios 5 for itouch has bigger size than for ipad. ipad 716 mb ipod 760 mb?
what is message app ? is it text message like sms or is it messanger like bbm ?

Like BBM

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HoJo said:
At the moment you can only access "purchased" music. What I was looking for is iTunes Match, which is coming soon.

ITunes Match...right...end of the month. Probably best the way things are going this week!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts