1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Ios5 - iTunes asking for backup password

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by raftpe, Oct 12, 2011.

1. raftpe

raftpe iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If anyone can help it'll be great.
    iTunes took over and done a backup / upgrade and restore, however to restore from my backup image it's prompting me for a password. I'm certain I've never set this password. Currently apps synced from iTunes however all my photos are in the backup image file.
  2. cattlebaron

cattlebaron iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the same problem. I am not aware of ever choosing a password or encryption for my backup. I downloaded Elemsoft's password breaker and it tells me that the backup isn't encrypted.
  3. cattlebaron

cattlebaron iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Update: I had to go find the backup from when the update started and it *was* encrypted (though none of the ones before or after). With Elemsoft's password discoverer I found that one of the applications on my iPad2 had triggered the encryption for some reason. So the password was the login for that application.

Hope this helps someone.
  4. blbskywalker

blbskywalker iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm having the same problem after downloading and upgrading my iPad (original) to iOS 5, iTunes is asking for password to restore from encrypted backup. I don't recall putting in a password or if I did I'd know it, and nothing works. How do i find if and which iPad app is causing the problem? Elemsoft doesn't appear to support Macs.

OS 10.6.8, iTunes 10.5, iPad 1

UPDATE: I Quit iTunes and opened it again. A dialogue window came up asking if i wanted to: "Cancel", "Delete Backup", or "Continue Restore", i clicked "Continue Restore" and it's currently synchronizing. Now I see the normal Sync screen in iTunes. Low and behold in the "Backup" box the "back up to this computer" check box is checked, but not the "encrypt backup" (I knew I hadn't selected that - thought I was going crazy). And in the top iPad box it displays the Software Version as: "5.0". Still Syncing at the moment. But I'm feeling much more confident. Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  5. raftpe

raftpe iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I found my issue, I was not able to crack it with any software but it turns out the password was one that was set within an app. So I think this is a bug. I'd suggest looking at all your apps and see if any have a password/keyword option set. Worked for me and a friend
  6. MisterT01

MisterT01 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same problem here. I also tries quitting iTunes as you did, but when I click "continue restore" it still wants a password to unlock my iPad backup file. I have definitely never set one and I've tried every password I've ever had.
  7. nate9862

nate9862 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey

Hey guys, after thinking I lost EVERYTHING on my iPhone 3GS I found this site, and found the key to restoring ALL of data. So, one thing that was interesting about my restoration was my email accounts were only partially restored. Interestingly, when I tried to restore my iPhone from backup, it kept saying I needed a password (that I ABSOLUTELY did NOT put on my backup) that didn't match any of my normal passwords. Well, after reading one of the posts, I tried the name of my email account (just the part before @whatever.com) and voila! So, if you guys are still having the same issue, maybe this helped!
  8. canhti60y2k

canhti60y2k iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Any one have any suggestions regarding this problems with passwords to unlock backup file is greatly appreciated. I went to Apple site and this site and tried all suggestion and all have failed. I got the Ipad 1 from another person(bought used) so I do not know their password to try only what I set up. Thanks
  9. vodaholic

vodaholic iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't know if this helps but I've tried loads of solutions and even with a custom password list the elcomsoft phone password recovery software couldn't find any results. Some people have noted that it uses a random password frm passwords you've stored on your device so try your facebook password, email account, lock code etc. None worked for me but you might want to try this first.

After a few days of scouring forums I had to do it a convoluted way in the end.

I installed iFunbox and copied the keychain-2.db file to my PC after making a backup of it in the same directory on the iPhone (var/keychains)

I then deleted the file from my iPhone and reconnected it to iTunes. This meant all passwords had been deleted (albeit temporarily) from my iPhone. I then selected the encrypted backup option again, entered a new password (make sure you take note of it) and started a backup then cancelled it which created a new keychain-2.db file in var/keychains. I then removed the encrypt option. This asked me for a password but it was set to the new password I'd just entered so the tick was then removed.

I then exported and opened the new keychain-2.db file in sqllite browser (do a search and download it, it's free). I then opened my original file in sqllite browser. The reason I did it this way is because for some reason my keychain files displayed a load of gobbledigook in sqllite browser so I couldn't determine what was the itunes password. Maybe because I'm running iTunes 10.5 but people have previously stated that the files are shown in plain English. Mine weren't.

I then compared the genp tables in sqllite browser until I found the record that had the same set of symbols in the acct column as that in the new keychain-2.db file I'd created as this would be the iTunes password I'd just created. No other records existed in the new keychain file.

I then deleted that record in sqllite browser, saved and imported back into var/keychains using iFunbox.

The encrypted option is no longer ticked and I can make unencrypted backups. I will definitely not be ticking that box again!!!

I know it sounds really long and laborious but if you follow it step by step it isn't as long as you think. I've no previous experience of this and I found all thge info from scouring various forums and piecing it all together to create my own solution. Also, if you're lucky enough to have your keychains file display as plain English in sqllite browser then you can just delete the record that says it is your itunes backup password. Make sure you backup your keychain-2.db file first just in case. I also deleted any encrypted backups I had before backing up again just in case.

Hope it makes sense. It really does work!
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  10. quickhelp

quickhelp iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Could this be the answer?

This may sound crazy, but I think you just have to leave the iPad or iPhone plugged into iTunes long enough for the restore to start on its own, without bothering to enter a password.

I had the same problem as you when upgrading my iPHone to iOS 5. I tried every password I knew. I read forums where people tried 0000 and "it worked", or 1234 and "it worked", but nothing worked for me.

I called an Apple store. They said that b/c I used an exchange server for mail, I should call my company IT dept. I called them, and they got nowhere.

Then, at some point while talking with IT, I looked at iTunes and the restore process had initiated. Huh? I had typed in the same password I had tried 20 times before a few moments ago, so it couldn't have been 'right'. I think it just needed time.

Could that be right? Or maybe it needs a fixed number of failed attempts before it accepts something? Clearly now convinced its an apple bug, and I believe it has to do with number of failed attempts or simply time passing. That would explain why some people think 0000 works and others think 1234 works. It is just coincidence.

So try just leaving it attached a long time. Or then try many passwords over and over. Give it 2-3 hours. Then save get all your pictures off the damn thing and get an Android. Clearly apples' smug "It Just Works" claim is complete horse***t. mobile me sucked too for a while.
  11. agahnim

agahnim iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you, this took me about 5 minutes to do after about 3 hours of searching. Worked like a charm.
  12. vodaholic

vodaholic iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Awesome! Glad to be of help. I've posted this on a few forums where people have the problem. Seems going through old passwords is working for some people but it didn't work for me. Funny how this solution is ignored by people still having the problem. I suppose you can only lead a horse to water :)
  13. digitaldervish

digitaldervish iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Uh... what happened to all the steps in between?

I had high hopes for this solution, but I got as far as installing and running i-FunBox. No idea where or how to find keychain-2.db, and I'm not a tech dummy. My first guess was to use SSH Terminal, but it says the port is not open on my device. So I start looking into how to install SSH. Using the InstallApp function in i-FUnBox would be ideal... but everywhere I search refers to jailbreaking your device and using cydia. But if I understand your solution, this shouldn't be necessary. Other possible solutions I've come across are way more convoluted than this... What am I missing here?
  14. LindaPR

LindaPR iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I was just trying to follow your instructions, I kinda got stuck at the comparing/editing genp/acct part. Thing is, I just connected my iPhone to iTunes and it synced... making a new backup! Now it only shows that last backup on the restore list. Does this mean what I think it means... that I just lost EVERYTHING? Contacts, pictures, messages, notes... ? :(
  15. gentlemanjim

gentlemanjim iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iTunes asking for backup password

I had the same issue and followed the advice from some of the posters--I had to go through all of the passwords used on any programs on my iPad. It took about ten tries, but I finally hit the one that was blocking the restoration and then it immediately started up.
  16. kienshiro

kienshiro iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was having the same problem but was quickly solved within 3 min after I read this forum. I tried the Apple login password and it seems to be working. FYI
  17. TheKritter

TheKritter iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got my new 3rd generation iPad today that I ordered last week. When I tried to restore the files from my iPad1 that is running iOS 5.1, I got a message that I needed to input the password for the back-up to restore it onto the new iPad (3 or whatever it is they are calling it). I was never prompted for a password in backing up the iPad, so this was a surprise. I do use a Passcode Lock since I thse the iPad in connection with work, however that was not the password it was looking for; I also tried my iTunes password without success. I then did a web search & found this forum. After reading through all of the posts, I noted that one of the suggestions was to try the passwords for any apps installed on the old iPad that require a password. I do have a SplashData app on my iPad1 that I used a lot that I had protected with a password. When I tried the SpashData password, it was accepted and the backup was restored to my new iPad.

I have no idea why the backup was treated as being password protected or why it chose to use the SpashData app password as the password for the backup on my computer, but I agree with the comment that it is probably a bug in iOS 5.0 & 5.1. In any event, my suggestion is to try all the passwords that you may have on any of your apps. Good luck with it.
  18. jt1737

jt1737 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What a *****.... Well, I started by going down each email I have linked to my iphone and entering the password for each.... no avail. So I started going App by App entering the password for each. luckily (out of the 96 apps requiring passwords) it ended up being the password for the 6th app that finally unlocked the backup for my itunes.

Hope this helps (and I hope you remembered all of your passwords)
  19. mydway

mydway iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My windows password worked

Had the same problem after installing 5.0 on my I-Pad. I tried my windows password and that worked.
  20. hdfssk

hdfssk iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My *Instapaper* password worked

Thanks jt1737, the app by app password thing did it. That is bizarre, though - apple update backup locks devices with a random app password? Good grief.