iOS5 has wrecked my iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by JamieofDover, Oct 27, 2011.

1. JamieofDover

JamieofDover
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I've only had my iPad 2 a little while and I absolutely. Then I updated to iOS5 and now it's ruined. I'm having these problems:

1. The Music app tells me there is no music. There is 2.5gb of music that registers as being on the memory when I attach it to iTunes.
    2. I downloaded an audio book (and I'm near the end of it as well) and not only won't it let me listen to it, it won't let me download it again either. The only way to get it again seems to be to pay again.
    3. When I attach the iPad 2 to my PC, iTunes automatically reinstalls every single app that I had installed and then removed. I then have to delete them one at a time. I've tried deleting from the app list in iTunes and un-checking in the sync list. It still does it every time. I now have three more pages of apps than I did before.
    4. BBC iPlayer no longer outputs at full screen over the HDMI. It's just a small screen in the middle.
    5. When using the HDMI output, putting the iPad on standby used to just turn off the screen on the iPad. Now it turns off the image on the television screen as well.

There may well be more problems, but it's turned my iPad 2 from a must-have accessory to a serious disappointment.

Is there anything that can be done?

Other than doing a factory restore that is.

2. JamieofDover

JamieofDover
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    *That should be 'absolutely adored it' at the top, by the way.

3. Hayles66

Hayles66
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Please don't panic! I doubt you have lost everything. This is a serious upgrade with many unusual quirks. I had some of your problems and I have been able to get everything back bar some data. As you haven't had it for long it won't be as bad as mine. Why don't you go and see the thread "IOS5 Upgrade troubleshooting". That should help you more than I can say on this thread. There is also a music iPod help thread as well, where I and others have suggestions on that.

But above all of this. DON'T PANIC!!!! Welcome by the way! You have come to the right place!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

4. JamieofDover

JamieofDover
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    The "IOS5 Upgrade troubleshooting" thread says it's for "iOS 5 upgrade troubleshooting, not for posting problems after upgrading." While it's annoying me, my iPad does seem to have iOS5. I've also looked all through the OS forum and not found anything that matches the problems I'm having.

I did find something to try for my reinstalling apps problem, but it's from over a year ago so I don't so why I'm only suddenly having this problem now I've done the update.

5. Hayles66

Hayles66
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    I have found that you have to resynch all media that hasn't appeared on your iPad. I did this and everything reappeared after this. Seems weird but that is what I did.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

6. bopeep

bopeep
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    When I updated my I pad 2 to OS5 it said you will lose all media data unless you save it. As I have no music it was not a problem.

7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    If your iPad is "ruined," you might as well back up everything and do a restore. Given that you're having problems across so much content, including apps, that probably would your quickest and least painful option.

8. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    why don't you give apple a ring,if you haven't had your iPad long you probably have phone support.

9. nicled

nicled
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have an ipad2 16gb and am comfortable with OS4. Do you think its wise to upgrade to OS5 considering all the problems. Any suggestions? Thank you!

10. idave23

idave23
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    JMHO, but for me, no, it's not wise. I'm happy with mine the way it is. I don't HAVE to have the features added with iOS5. At least not if it means having to deal with the hassles related to the upgrade that are documented in countless threads here and elsewhere. I'm not the most tech-savvy person in the world so I'd rather not have to deal with the work-arounds and fixes involved despite having this invaluable forum to help me through them.:) Nor do I feel I should have to. YMMV though. If you feel you can't live without the features the upgrade adds then you should upgrade. If you're like me and can live without them for now, you might want to wait and see if future upgrades fix the problems without the hassles.