What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS5 created for iPad 3 use with no home button?

Rich9674

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that the next iPad may have a full screen display with no edge or home button? I only say this as the new OS let's you do away with what the home button is for. For example, clicking the home button to take you out an app has been replaced with a 5 finger pinch. And the multitasking bar can now be accessed by a 4 finger swipe up rather than a double tap. Anyone else see anything to suggest the same?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No. Holding an iPad with no edge means grabbing the screen. Highly unlikely

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:

Well iPad 3 may come with motorbike type handlebars attached.....when it happens remember where you read it first!

The Archangel

SgtP3pp3r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:

I agree with this. I used to think they could improve the ipad by doing away with the "dead space" on the sides, bottom and top... But this space is actually important if u are using the ipad for reading. It lets u grip it without accidentally switching pages... Although now that i think about it, they could replace the actual black stripes with rendered black stripes on certain software. Any how, the ipad's screen size is just right imho. They could improve the resolution (and most probably will), but most of the upgrades should come in terms of battery life, camera, gps (thinking of Siri and Reminders), and standard storage for the same price. I dont think the processor is all that important to update considering the uses one gives to tablets, but they should update iOS with more useful lionesque features.

OP
R

Rich9674

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with what you're saying. So they may make the "dead space" thinner to give it more screen space and take away the home button. I definitely think this new OS will do away with the home button.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No physical hard button - think Soft Button like android has the foru soft buttons on he bottom of there screen
Come on folks SJ didn't have all the best ideas for a tablete

Sent from my iPad using iPF

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that the next iPad may have a full screen display with no edge or home button? I only say this as the new OS let's you do away with what the home button is for. For example, clicking the home button to take you out an app has been replaced with a 5 finger pinch. And the multitasking bar can now be accessed by a 4 finger swipe up rather than a double tap. Anyone else see anything to suggest the same?

With Assistive Touch in the Accessibility menu you can replace the remaining hardware functions (volume up/down, rotation lock/unlock, lock screen) with gestures, so what you're talking about is possible now. I'd want at least one switch along the edge for resets and on/off, but I like the idea of a featureless black screen - very futuristic.

I don't see the border on the display disappearing - it was put there on purpose to make the device easy to handle.

OP
R

Rich9674

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure how to access Siri without the button....

Do we really want Siri on the iPad??!!?? Are we not clever enough to own an iPad and therefore clever enough to be able to do everything Siri does, without talking to our tablets as though they are our best and onl friends?? Siri?! Really?!

Most reactions

Latest posts