1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iOS5 backing up forever

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by Lovemyipad2, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Lovemyipad2

Lovemyipad2 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Someone please help. I started the update last night around 930pm and her it is today at 2:30 it's still backing up the phone. I need my phone can't afford another day without being able to use it. If I unplug it will I be screwed!?!?
  2. Lovemyipad2

Lovemyipad2 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm about to cry....
  3. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +321 / 0
    Join the club. I started last night at 6pm and my iPad is still copying my music, apps etc ... I'd leave it if I were you. You would have to start all over again
  4. Lovemyipad2

Lovemyipad2 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Hayles66 makes me feel better to know I am not alone but sorry you have to deal with it too ...
  5. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +321 / 0
    That's okay. We are all a little frazzled. I'm now doing my iPhone 4 so I will also probably not have my phone tomorrow if it goes the same way. Sigh. Maybe should have waited. Patience was never really my thing. Apple love sucks. Or so my daughters tell me.
  6. Lovemyipad2

Lovemyipad2 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The way it's going I'm never going to get to my iPad or iTouch....deep breathes... Lol
  7. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +321 / 0
    Well, my iPhone 4 was a hell of a lot quicker. It's just updating the media now so I'm hoping, crossing fingers now.
  8. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    aww...Don't cry! Do NOT let iTunes see tears. Number One Rule.:)

Hang in there!
  9. Ncaissie

Ncaissie iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Mine took a long time to upgrade. Turns out I had to continue on the iPad to Finnish.

64GB 3G White iPad
  10. kattee817

kattee817 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am really, really, really trying to be patient. Still in back up mode after 1 hour. I thought I upgraded yesterday, I mean the screen indicated that it was installing ios 5, but two hours later, it was still ios 4.something.
  11. Ncaissie

Ncaissie iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I would start over. Backup shouldn't take that long. The entire process only took two 1/2 hours on my 3G 64gb iPad 2.
    Restoring apps is taking a while on my iPhone 32gb.
    It seems to let you use the phone while it restores the apps. That or something is wrong.

64GB 3G White iPad
  12. Lovemyipad2

Lovemyipad2 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I lost everything... Ughh backup never ended and I had to restore back to the factory settings now my phone won't sync and I get an error -50... After over 15 hours of having no phone just so I could have the update. Now I'm afraid to do my iPad.#sosad my head hurts.
  13. fabarca

fabarca iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I friend of mine had a similar problem. I'll ask him what he did and if it worked out.
  14. Lovemyipad2

Lovemyipad2 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Whatever you do wait for it to backup or e.se you will loose everything when you update.
  15. kattee817

kattee817 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, good luck to you :)
  16. Lovemyipad2

Lovemyipad2 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks. Any info if helpful.
  17. Ncaissie

Ncaissie iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's crazy backup times. It shouldn't take that long. I have the 32GB 3GS phone, 32GB iPod touch and a 64GB iPad 2 and never had that long of a backup. I think the longest was 2 hours. I wish you luck.

64GB 3G White iPad
  18. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this problem? I always synch my iPad...which I have done successfully. I have also shutdown my PC, and powered off my iPad. I have wired my laptop to my modem--I have FIOS. Restarted PC, started iTunes, connected iPad, got the prompt to update to new iOS version, clicked update. Backup starts and that is as far as I get. Three attempts so far: first attempt two hours, I abandoned. Went back thru my synch powered down powered up process, started update and went to bed. Get up this am, iPad sleeping, PC in hibernate mode....hmmm Good? Nope. IPad still at 4.3.5. Third attempt now, iPad still on backup. Followed troubleshooting ideas, to no avail. Went to Apple.com, found a troubleshooting guide advising me to do what I have three times now, and still...backup is going nowhere.

I don't think the problem is getting to Apple, my iPad and PC can't seem to get beyond backup. I should disclose that I already successfully updated an iPad2 within one hour. This iPad2 has only 5 purchased apps along with what Apple provides. It is less than a month of ownership. Whereas, the "problem" iPad 64Gig/wifi+3G, is over a year old and has 16gigs of apps, music, videos, books and photos--so I expected a longer time to upgrade. This is the first time my IPad has had a problem with the update process. I am looking forward to getting the new os5 on this veteran iPad -- looking at all the new features on the iPad2 makes me think this new version will make my iPad an even better device.

Is there anyway to skip the backup step in this upgrade?

UPDATE...an hour and a half later, iTunes not going any further than a small green tab on the backup status bar. On the iPad screen, no longer showing "synch in process" and one of my apps reminding me I have a bill to pay! So I am thinking I am NOT going to keep going with backing up and updating. I have commented on the Apple website that shutting down both PC and iPad and starting over again IS NOT a solution.

While I deplore the thought that my iPad is not up-to-date, it does work very well as it is. I'll ignore all of the apps that are updating to take advantage of the new features of os5. I'm up to 16 apps that require an update AFTER I update to the new os5.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  19. kattee817

kattee817 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    MattIM, you and I are in the same boat. I have no clue what the difference is between syncing and backing up. But syncing goes smoothly and I just seem to be stuck in backup mode. There is no bar indicating the status, so every now and then I check the task manager to make sure iTunes is still responding.

I updated iTunes on 10/11/11. I updated all my apps both on the iPad and in iTunes. I had one game (Gun Bros.) that was taking forever to update, so I just deleted it in iTunes and on the iPad. I sync with no problem.

I am clueless and a bit frustrated. I have had my iPad for a little less than a year, but I've never seen it get stuck in an update. I mean for days it has backed up for hours, even overnight. Last night, I reinstalled iTunes just to try to start from scratch.

I am using netbook with Windows 7 Starter. That shouldn't make a difference, right?

I mean am I going to have to take this to the Apple Store? I feel like a dingbat
    :(
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  20. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Hi Katlee877. Glad to know I'm not the only one on this boat. Whenever a piece of technology behaves unexpectedly, I don't take it personally, but it is very frustrating to be unable to troubleshoot the problem when the advice available is basically, 'have you tried this?' or 'did you do that'.

It is such a rare experience that my iPad doesn't do what I want it to do. This is the first time I've had a problem that I was unable to resolve by looking on this forum or the Apple website. I suppose as more people try to update their Classic iPad, there will be more information on what to do when the update initiates with a backup that doesn't.

I back up on a Windows 7 Home PC laptop that was bought specifically to work for my iPad.