What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ios4.2 Upgrade Screen Lock Now Gone

Koula

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the screen lock switch 100% of the time. I never use the iPad with the screen "floating". Thanks to Ios4.2, instead of locking the screen the toggle switch is now a useless volume on/off switch which I would never use anyways!

Where did the screen lock go and how can I get it back?

Thanks

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Double tap the home button then swipe left on the multitasking bar. It's in the far left corner.

3b523112.jpg

grampus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the screen lock switch 100% of the time. I never use the iPad with the screen "floating". Thanks to Ios4.2, instead of locking the screen the toggle switch is now a useless volume on/off switch which I would never use anyways!

Where did the screen lock go and how can I get it back?

Thanks
Double click your home key. (indented button on the face).
Brings up a multitask bar.
The screen lock is now there.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, this is the last screen lock thread....all others will now be merged! Please start reading the forum before starting new redundant threads!!

OP
K

Koula

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe Apple should provide a quick overview tutorial that automatically runs after the Ios upgrade to simply familiarize users with altered features so they can stop freaking out and having to waste their life by signing up for forums and asking for help.

Cheers and thanks! ;)

Johng1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I agree I loved the screen lock using the switch. I also will never use the vol on/off please bring it back!! Or have a setting in settings that I can select between using the switch for screen lock or vol that would be even a better idea. There are so many times I wish the iPhone had a screen lock feature.
I tried double taping on the Home button to bring up the running apps. On the far left mine shows Settings not screen lock. Any ideas?
I have the 3G 64GB version.

Thanks,
John Gerard

Johng1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screen lock

Oh, my bad. I just didn't scroll far enough to the left.

John Gerard

Johng1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I see that the vol on/off switch does not tun all sound on and off. I tried using the iPod but the switch has no effect unless there is a setting in settings to configure this option?

John Gerard

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I see that the vol on/off switch does not tun all sound on and off. I tried using the iPod but the switch has no effect unless there is a setting in settings to configure this option?

John Gerard
There is no option. The switch works just like it does on the iPhone and iPod for years: that is primarily why it was changed--to make the switch consistent across iOS devices. Developers can choose to honor the mute switch, but they don't have to. Depends on the app. Games usually will honor it.

That said, I am not sure why you would want to mute iPod app when you can just pause it. But if you were watching a video for instance, the mute switch would stop, say, the new email sound from chiming in.

Or if you are in a meeting.... mute will prevent the trumpeting sound from a new game center friend request.

All that said, one of the main things it does on the iPhone is mute the ringer. Since the iPad is not a phone it is understandable that it is a little harder to make sense out of for people not already used to it on other iOS devices.

Michael

iloveif

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

John Gerard
There is no option. The switch works just like it does on the iPhone and iPod for years: that is primarily why it was changed--to make the switch consistent across iOS devices. Developers can choose to honor the mute switch, but they don't have to. Depends on the app. Games usually will honor it.

That said, I am not sure why you would want to mute iPod app when you can just pause it. But if you were watching a video for instance, the mute switch would stop, say, the new email sound from chiming in.

Or if you are in a meeting.... mute will prevent the trumpeting sound from a new game center friend request.

All that said, one of the main things it does on the iPhone is mute the ringer. Since the iPad is not a phone it is understandable that it is a little harder to make sense out of for people not already used to it on other iOS devices.

Michael

I also found it a pain to mute it in my backpack.

Most reactions

Latest posts