What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ios11.

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After iOS update , I found one problem with my DOCUMENTS app by Readdle. It is not showing up in my files app which is a new feature of iOS 11. Files supposed to act as a file manager for iPad but it misses the most important app, that is documents app. It contains my total data including pdf references, docs, some photographs etc. all these things I used to attach in mails or uploading to various cloud drives via documents app.
See the screenshot shot below, it shows contents of “Documents” location is unavailable due to some unknown error.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Atindra: I have the same problem and error message with Documents. I am still trying to work out if it is me (quite likely...) before I email and ask Readdle.

Btw, Readdle are very helpful if you email them. They came back quickly and are looking into a possible bug I found to do with making a PDF in Safari; moving PDF to Documents and then on to a Windows shared folder, which us where the problem is.

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Atindra: I have the same problem and error message with Documents. I am still trying to work out if it is me (quite likely...) before I email and ask Readdle.

Btw, Readdle are very helpful if you email them. They came back quickly and are looking into a possible bug I found to do with making a PDF in Safari; moving PDF to Documents and then on to a Windows shared folder, which us where the problem is.
Before Apple’s attempt to file management by FILES, Documents used to be my only app for file management and it is absolutely fantastic. Missing that app for Files, would be a big disappointment for me.
I found a way out, in which I removed FILES app from my device, now Documents is normal again, shows up while attaching docs, files in email clients, cloud drives etc. For the time being, I am ok with this solution. But Apple must coordinate with an important app developer like Readdle for the best interests of millions of users.

Atindra

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Atindra: Accidently I found the answer. I have Documents locked and accessible via my fingerprint. I turned the lock off, and low and behold all my Douments files now appear in Files.

The downside being that I cannot hide what is in Documents, although that does not really matter for my use.

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That sounds the easiest solution but encryption in documents app was one of the reasons, I had put my lots of important documents there. Let me try it.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ios11 Updates from App Store. Has anyone noticed problems with updates from the app store? (Apart from having to ‘pull down’ to look for new updates.)

I updated 3 apps yesterday, and yet the icon on my home screen still showed 3 updates available all today; checking for updates actually revealed none. When I did my ‘ pull down’ late this afternoon, only 2 appeared and these sat on waiting to load for about an hour. I then did an iPad reset and found that all had been updated. On other days, updates have been downloaded and the apps run, while the app store shows it still in the process of downloading. This is not the first time this has happened and, allowing for update server load, I get the distinct feeling that something is not right in that dept. since going to ios11 and now 11.0.2

I would be interested to know if others have any comments wrt the above.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that upates don’t always show up when I open the App Store, but will usually show up if I pull down, as you said. If I leave them alone, they eventually download without me having to do anything (I have auto-updates turned on).

The App Store itself has bee a bit less stable than it was uner iOS 10. I have to force close and restart it now and then. I get the impression that the all new design still has a few quirks.

Hold in mind that I am still on the Public Beta, so my iOS 11 verson is slighly different

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet. I have auto updates turned off, so that I can see what is updated and when and so check fairly regularly.

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I too don’t like auto update but the manual control over update.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I posted early in this thread, a couple of months ago, about a bug in Readdle Documents, which I understood they would correct. Perhaps understandably it has not been fixed yet, but I think I found the cause and I think that it may worth mentioning as the solution is straight forward.

If you use Safari to create a PDF, it automatically attaches the time and date to the name. Exporting to Documents is fine, but then exporting to a Windows Shared Drive fails. In the PDF name given by Safari, the time (seconds) has a colon ':' and that causes Windows (7 anyway) to reject the file. Delete the colon and all seems to be OK.

Most reactions