What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ios update

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have not yet updated my iPad4 to the latest Ios software in view of initial problems. Deoes anyone know if ALL the initial problems have now been sorted out, as I don't want a lot of probles?

Please don't reply if yours is just an opinion. I would like factual replies please.

Malcolm

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have not yet updated my iPad4 to the latest Ios software in view of initial problems. Deoes anyone know if ALL the initial problems have now been sorted out, as I don't want a lot of probles?

Please don't reply if yours is just an opinion. I would like factual replies please.

Malcolm

C'mon Alex! I'll try to reply factually;). As you don't list what ALL those initial problems were that you appear to be aware of, how could members possibly advise you if they have been "sorted"? Why not relax, stop reading about some of those nervous nellies' worries and just go ahead and update, and just enjoy the latest available system provided for our iPads that we are taking advantage of. If any problems then arise, have faith that there are many knowledgable members here who will assist to sort out your problems.....if you find any.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
C'mon Alex! I'll try to reply factually;). As you don't list what ALL those initial problems were that you appear to be aware of, how could members possibly advise you if they have been "sorted"? Why not relax, stop reading about some of those nervous nellies' worries and just go ahead and update, and just enjoy the latest available system provided for our iPads that we are taking advantage of. If any problems then arise, have faith that there are many knowledgable members here who will assist to sort out your problems.....if you find any.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

Thanks OB, but I am an ancient (72) pesimist when i comes to IT matters. I oly just manage my PC and iPad, probably the basics compared to many, but it suits me.

If I get problems after downloading ios7 and have o plough through 128 page of manual, I will not be a happy bunny. No, I will wait a while longer and trust that Apple will eventually manage to produce patches for all the errors that have been mentioned in so many places.

Will keep watching reports nd be happy with ios6 for now.

I have downloaded the ios7 manual mentioed by another, so thanks for that.

Malcolm

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that most of the members posting here are the ones who are facing problems.

The iPad users that get along well with iOS 7 won't look for advice, and I think that's the majority.

Last edited:

Capri142

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not yet updated my iPad4 to the latest Ios software in view of initial problems. Does anyone know if ALL the initial problems have now been sorted out, as I don't want a lot of probles?}

I am 66 and leery of such updates myself but went ahead and did the update, the download took a long time but was a piece of cake. I have not had any issues that I could not resolve quickly and by myself. There were a few of my apps that would not load. Those, I just deleted and reloaded and they work fine. I had a problem formatting books on my kindle app, but then again, I just reloaded the app and all was well....Go For It Young Man!

v

TheSagittarius

iPF Novice
Reaction score

If you haven't upgrade yet, I recommend to upgrade via iTunes and not OTA. OTA has too many bugs while updating via iTunes doesn't, in my opinion and my experience :). Hope this helps :).

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi alex101 I upgraded as soon as I could iphone 5 was no problem but ipad 3 would not go tried five times but think it was to much traffic on server When it was done had problems so had to back up and reinstall on iTunes .Now i'am on I think I liked old one better but i think you have to do it to keep things running smooth?

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As I said, there are problems around that eventually will be sorted out by Apple. A little while longer I think, to be on the safe side, but going via iTunes is a good idea, so thanks for that.

geofflukins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are going to be playing catch up as they have issued 2 new updates since then. Most of the apps that don't work with the new IOS are not down to Apple exclusively so you may be waiting sometime. I uploaded it on the first day it came out and haven't had one problem and no I am not a young IT expert but a 66 year veteran.

Zimaia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guys, i am also in old ios (6.1.3). The main reason to not going to ios 7 is about performance, not bugs or problems.
Here at work several colleagues have ipads and iphones in diferent versions but those who have ipad 4 or 3 are already in ios7 so i can easly compare with my ipad4 with 6.1.3.

The conclusion is 6.1.3 is a lot more fast and more fluid when opening apps sliding screens, etc..

That's the principal reason for to stay in old 6.1.3

maybe in a 7.0.4 or 7.1 i can begin to see some improvements in UI performance compare to old 6.1.3

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Take heart Alex, your concern with the new iOS7 is appropriate. It is your machine, after all. For someone so "old" you are pretty up to date with your hardware. I have a third generation iPad. I also have an older version of the iPad2 and the very first iPad. I'm going to get the new iPad Air, eventually. To me, that is where the issues lie, in hardware--software is easier to fix.

My team supports our end user's iPads and we have advised them not to upgrade to the new system because we have company specific apps developed for company owned iPads. However we have also encouraged employees to upgrade their personal iPads to the new version, at home, over the air or attached to their home computer via iTunes. We have asked them to let us know if they noticed any thing out of kilter technically.

iOS7 does provide a totally new user interface, it does have the look of being re-designed from the ground up. With anything new and different it does take time getting used to the new system. For example, if you wanted to look for something on your iPad, you can go to the first screen on your home page and search there. The new interface requires you to run your finger down on your home screen to recall the search function. Another example, in the past double pressing the home button reveals your task bar of recently used and running apps. You had to press down on an app and then press the x to remove it from memory. In the new interface, if you double tap, you get a smaller version of the app and to close it or remove it from memory, you simply swipe up on the app.

I am using these two examples because these simplified functions impact my company's apps designed to make finding stuff and closing apps easier for our end user. So we are either going to have to re-write these apps, or train everyone how to use the new gestures. Believe it or not, it takes a lot of time and money to develop an app--about as much time and effort to train people. But which has greater value long term?

Most reactions

Latest posts