What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS to grow at Android expense due to new iPad

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to IDC, the new iPad will help "shift a larger percentage of future units toward iOS and away from Android," . They anticipate that Apple's iOS will likely grow its global market share from 58.2 percent in 2011 to 62.5 percent in 2012. Android, however, will drop from 38.7 percent last year to 36.5 percent this year. Research in Motion's share will slip from 1.7 percent to 1 percent, accoding to the predictions. It is beginning to appear that the iPad is going to do the same with the tablet market as it did with the MP3 player market. If Apple comes out with a 7-8" iPad, it could take away one of the strongest niche markets for Android tablets.

It will be interesting to see how long Apple will hold its lead in the technology market. The MacBook Air completely turned the laptop industry upside down, and between it and the iPad, destroyed the netbook industry.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, netbooks didn't deserve to exist at all, IMO.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far, all the wishful thinking has been on the Android tablets. The future will play out as it goes along. Right now, Apple has the market under firm control.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With MicroSoft announcing its Surface tablet for the fall, IMHO, this adds another dimension to any discussion on which tablet OS will dominate. I have read comments on this forum at the scepticism of MS' ability to produce a strong tablet competitor to Apple or Google. I would accept these sentiments as MS has proven too many times in the past how easy it is to misstep. Every technology company has had that kind of un-success.

There are so many possibilities with a third option presented by MicroSoft:
1. MS has very deep pockets and a huge customer base.
2. MS can afford to spend the time and money to take apart an iPad or an Android Tablet, research what works best and
3. Utilize its research/development lab to create a successful product.

It seems to me that in the technology world, when you have three very strong competitors-->Apple's iPad, Google's Motorola Xoom, and now MS' Surface, consumers really do have a choice and we can acquire these products at more reasonable prices.

Little One

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad is already third generatiom and Surface will be the very first. In my opinion, Apple knows how to make a tablet better than MS.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Little One said:
iPad is already third generatiom and Surface will be the very first. In my opinion, Apple knows how to make a tablet better than MS.

Yes, Apple is on its third generation of iPad and up to five versions of OS and looking forward to OS6. I don't know how many Android iterations there have been, since Google names their versions-->Ice Scream replaces Honeycomb? The hardware providers for Android systems seem to be on their second generation?--not really sure as I don't own any of those products. In this generation of computing, Microsoft is the biggest non-competitor. So when they get the Surface out, you can bet that there will be a lot of attention given this new device.

I am hoping that Microsoft works really really hard and produces a product that will turn even a diehard Apple iPadder's head. Microsoft has been known to do that. If Microsoft is successful, as I wrote previously, we will have three choices: Apple iPad, Google Motorola Xoom, and Microsoft Surface. And I would wager that this competition will enable consumers to purchase these devices at a lower price.

I can see the headlines now, "A chicken in every pot and a tablet in every hand!"

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The same reason people used to justify buying PCs, with MS OS, will work against them now. The iPad is a tried and true product with a lot of support. People want a large number of apps and accessories available when they buy thier tablet. And besides the high level of paid advertising by Apple, they get a lot of free publicity from things like a NFL football team issueing all players iPads. Microsoft has an uphill battle that they need to make good on. The likely scenario is that Apple and Google will continue to be the dominant mobil OS, and Microsoft will be a barely there, hanger on.

Most reactions

Latest posts