What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ios dev program jailbreaking downgrading?

ejonesss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just got an ipad 2 wifi only (no cell phone tech just ipad 2) and i have tried everything to downgrade and jailbreak and nothing works.it came with ios 4.3.5 witch is not jailbreak or downgrade able.i was wondering if i enroll in the ios development for $99 and register the ipad as test device can i then downgrade to 4.3.1 or less?also are the shsh blobs unique to the device down to the serial or even contain our identity (meaning we can not share shsh blobs in order to sign for a downgrade)?i remember with the ipods 5 and less their drive could be erased by disk utility and made to downgrade firmware.i was wondering can the firmware partition on the ipad 2 be erased and then made to load a new firmware from scratch?thanks for the help

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i just got an ipad 2 wifi only (no cell phone tech just ipad 2) and i have tried everything to downgrade and jailbreak and nothing works.it came with ios 4.3.5 witch is not jailbreak or downgrade able.

That's correct, you cannot downgrade your iPad2 to a different iOS. All you can do is go up to iOS 5.0.1

i was wondering if i enroll in the ios development for $99 and register the ipad as test device can i then downgrade to 4.3.1 or less?

No. Usually, developer accounts are for those who want to make apps to run on the iPad. They register as developers so they can get access to beta software to make sure the app they are making is compatible with a new (read: higher version) OS. As Apple heartily dislikes jail breaking (and downgrading to other firmwares after they've released new ones), there is no chance that buying a developer license will allow you access to a lower version of firmware from Apple. They are for those to check out how things work on firmware upgrades.

also are the shsh blobs unique to the device down to the serial or even contain our identity (meaning we can not share shsh blobs in order to sign for a downgrade)?i remember with the ipods 5 and less their drive could be erased by disk utility and made to downgrade firmware.i was wondering can the firmware partition on the ipad 2 be erased and then made to load a new firmware from scratch?thanks for the help

Yes, SHSH blobs are unique to each device. They are built using the iPad's UDID and cannot be interchanged. No, there is no way to erase a partition.

Sorry to be so negative in my replies. Cause I'd love it if we could do any of these things you ask! Jailbreaking would be so much easy, faster and ubiquitous. But, it's just not going to be.

Marilyn

Last edited:
OP
E

ejonesss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry i have read somewhere that it can be done and i even called up the apple developer tech support for some pre sales questions and they said it can be done.i remember seeing it but i dont remember where i saw it but someone mentioned that by paying for a developer license it unlocks the ipad somehow so you can install developer firmwares and you can go back and forth.maybe apple saw abuse there and blocked it.there has to be a way for a developer or at least for internal developers to go back if they botched a firmware.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry i have read somewhere that it can be done and i even called up the apple developer tech support for some pre sales questions and they said it can be done.i remember seeing it but i dont remember where i saw it but someone mentioned that by paying for a developer license it unlocks the ipad somehow so you can install developer firmwares and you can go back and forth.maybe apple saw abuse there and blocked it.there has to be a way for a developer or at least for internal developers to go back if they botched a firmware.

There isn't. Sorry.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Paying for the developer licence does NOT "unlock" your device to allow any previous version of IOS to be installed.

OP
E

ejonesss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
then why would apple developer tech support say that you can?in fact you can call them for your self and ask the same thing if any of you have a developer account.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ejonesss said:
then why would apple developer tech support say that you can?in fact you can call them for your self and ask the same thing if any of you have a developer account.

I have been an Apple Developer for quite some time. I know how it works thanks.
If this was the case, then Everyone would be doing it, wouldn't they? $99 would be a very small price to pay for that kind of ultimate flexibility. Whilst XCode and your IOS dev status does provide some flexibility when restoring your device, it DOES NOT allow you to restore any previous firmware to your device(s) once you sign up.
TinyUmbrella is the normal owners easiest and best protection as things stand.
But if you want to believe the call centre go ahead, spend your $99, and test it out for yourself. ;)

You wont be able to, for example, downgrade a new iPad2 from 5.0.1 to 4.3.3 (which is the one thing everyone would want to do).

Last edited:
OP
E

ejonesss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
then what does the developer kit allow?only access to internal betas and firmwares?do you even get a source code for the firmwares? if so i will put down the $99 in a heart beatalso can i be able to install unsigned apps and apps rejected by the app store?

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
then what does the developer kit allow?only access to internal betas and firmwares?do you even get a source code for the firmwares? if so i will put down the $99 in a heart beatalso can i be able to install unsigned apps and apps rejected by the app store?

No, you don't get source code for IOS. Registering to be an Apple Developer allows you to develop apps for Apple devices, and since you will be a developer you get access to beta versions of IOS so you can make your apps compatible with upcoming versions. The Apple developer programme is not about being able to change the operating system itself, nor is it to support apps which Apple do not approve. All apps are still signed, even your own, with your developer provisioning profile.

I suggest you look into it at the official site if you want more details - Apple Developer

OP
E

ejonesss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
however if i write an app do i have to get it signed by apple before ican put it on my ipad even though i would have registered the device as a test device?how do i her an app signed for testing purposes.my main purpose of why i wanted to downgrade was to be able to use Requiemright now Requiem does not work since 4.3.5 broke the format of the key files neededis there a way i can download the latest firmware updater without installing it so i can keep it around so when jailbreak becomes released + Requiem gets fixed and block ipad from checking with apple to see if new version is out?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. If you are talking about the app Requiem (a game on the App Store), it says only that you have to have iOS 4.0 or higher. So, if Requiem is not working on your iPad running 4.3.5, have you contacted the developer to see if he or she can assist you in making it work? At the least, I am sure developers appreciate knowing that their games are working on certain versions of the iPad. Or, you could ask for a refund if you don't want to go that route.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts