What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 9 Installation Problems

M

moparherb

My keyboard did not look like J.A.'s until I went into the settings that she displayed and turned "Predictive" off then back on again and now I have the same keyboard she shows. Maybe this will help the "OP".

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The reason you don't have the BUI and other shortcuts in the Mail app is because the cursor is in the To: field. You can't do BUI, or other formatting in the To: field, so it does not give you that option. You can't format in the Subject: field either, but it does give you text predictions.

When you put the cursor in the body of the email you should see all the missing shortcuts; because that's where you can format, insert pictures, etc.

I can't tell where your cursor is in screenshot of the GoodReader app, but it may be similar. If the app does not allow formatted text in the field/box where the cursor is, then you won't see the options.

Apple's keyboards are adaptive. They change based on what you are doing, and what you can do. For instance, notice that in your first screenshot the @ symbol is shown; making it easier to enter email addresses. You'd have to dig for it on most other keyboard configurations, like in your second screenshot.

This is how Apple makes the best possible use of the limited space of the onscreen keyboard, and how it prevents confusion; by not giving you options you can't use in a particular situation. Well, it usually helps prevents confusion. Obviously it didn't work out very well this time. :)

Edit:

Decided, maybe an illustration, and got carried away, so this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442977132.247917.jpg

Last edited:

janeiowa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My keyboard did not look like J.A.'s until I went into the settings that she displayed and turned "Predictive" off then back on again and now I have the same keyboard she shows. Maybe this will help the "OP".

THANK YOU! I turned Predictive off, did a hard reset, turned it on and did a power off and it now shows both sides of the "shortcut bar" and the three choices of word spellings as I type this.

janeiowa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TWERPPOET.........THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I appreciate your long and detailed explanation, and the illustrations. I finally understand....and I now have my keyboard as "advertised."

Now, I'll go away and praise the work of "twerppoet" here and the good advice from another poster, "moparherb."

Jane

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're welcome.

If you check my user guidelines you'll see I prefer all praise to be sung in the key of b-flat. It helps with keeping my head from over inflating. [emoji5]️

janeiowa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I,m back....with a new problem. The %#}^ keyboard covers the body of an email or the entire posting box at a website, so I'mimage.png typing blind. Grrrrrrr,

The above its OVER the body of an email. I' expectations tried to tap and pull it down to no avail. What's the magic solution here?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The is an old feature, since iOS 6 I think. You've accidentally enabled the floating keyboard.

Use the keyboard button (bottom right of keyboard) to drag the keyboard around, or all the way to the bottom to re-dock it. You can also tap-hold the keyboard button to dock, undock, and split the keyboard.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, just read your whole post, and it seems like you already tried what should have worked. Sorry, I didn't notice the text after the screenshot. [emoji5]️

Have you tried reseting the iPad (holding down the home and power buttons until you see the Apple Logo)?

janeiowa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hadn't used the keyboard key to drag. What happened was the keyboard split and in putting it back together, it ended up in the middle of the body of the email.

Thank you AGAIN!

XFiles_4Ever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I successfully upgraded my iPad to iOS9. After I did I could no longer open my citrix receiver application. I did the usual things we all do. Then I started with the more productive; rebooting the iPad, checking all the settings. I finally talked to Apple Support and they suggested turning off the WI-FI, turning on the Cellular Data then try to reinstall the app from the app store. Lo and behold it worked.

Hope this helps anyone else who runs across this issue.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I successfully upgraded my iPad to iOS9. After I did I could no longer open my citrix receiver application. I did the usual things we all do. Then I started with the more productive; rebooting the iPad, checking all the settings. I finally talked to Apple Support and they suggested turning off the WI-FI, turning on the Cellular Data then try to reinstall the app from the app store. Lo and behold it worked.

Hope this helps anyone else who runs across this issue.

Thanks. I'm sure it will help someone.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Back on topic-ish.

Apparently the iOS 9.0.1 update fixes the stuck on Hello screen problem that was occurring on some older iPads. Congratulations to those who wisely waited. It's already paid off. :)

Most reactions