What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 9 Appears to be Crashing on Some Older Apple Devices

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iOS 9.JPG

Reuters reports today that what it says are a “significant” number of Apple customers are complaining that their iPhones or iPads are crashing when they try to install iOS 9.

Apparently many very unhappy iPhone and iPad owners were complaining on Twitter and other social media about two faults in particular that seemed to be occurring in older iPhones and iPads.

The first was simply that the iOS 9 upgrade failed during install, and had the message “Software Update Failed.” This is a fairly common problem when a new iOS is released, and is generally caused by overloaded servers as everyone in the world tries to download the newly released software at once.

With the other fault, owners of older iOS devices found that their iPhones and iPads were stalling at the “swipe to upgrade” page.

One customer told how they had waited for three hours in an Apple store and then been instructed to either perform a factory reset on their phone, or wait until Apple technicians finally release an update for the problems, of which they are well aware. That customer said that Apple’s engineers are said to be working “24/7” on a fix.

Source: Apple customers report devices crashing on iOS 9 update

techead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to download iOS 9 on my ipad 2 only to get half way through it, then it goes back to the slide to upgrade screen all the time. Tried the above, but nothing. Tried hard reset, recovery mode, connect to itunes but nothing. ???

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That sucks. You may have to wait for whatever patch Apple comes up with. Hopefully very soon.

Unless you have an Apple Store nearby. They might be able to do something.

jon229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem here upgrading iPad 2 to ios9. Still poking around to see if there are any problems

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I've upgraded my iPad Air 2 & wife's iPhone 6 to iOS 9 - seems to be fine; now she also has the iPad Mini original - don't know if this newest version will add much to this old Mini? But would be curious what others may be experiencing in trying to get their old Minis to this latest iOS version? Although I've offered to get her the newest Mini, she's happy w/ the older one - SO, will be curious about the responses to my question. Dave :)

peterdunn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to download iOS 9 on my ipad 2 only to get half way through it, then it goes back to the slide to upgrade screen all the time. Tried the above, but nothing. Tried hard reset, recovery mode, connect to itunes but nothing. ???

Apple first posted a so-called fix that by simply restoring to the iPad, the problem would go away. It did not work, however, if "find my iPad" was turned on.This was the case with my wife's iPad2. I managed to get it going through iTunes, going through "check for updates", which first told me that my version of iTunes was the latest, then telling me that a version ios9.2 was available for the cold and dead iPad that was connected to iTunes. I managed to download and install that version through iTunes on to the iPad, and voila, it came back to life, under 9.2.

peterdunn

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Apple's fix didn't work if "find my iPad" was turned on. This was the case with my wife's iPad2. I managed to get it going through iTunes, going through "check for updates", which first told me that my version of iTunes was the latest, then telling me that a version ios9.2 was available for the cold and dead iPad that was connected to iTunes. I managed to download and install that version through iTunes on to the iPad, and voila, it came back to life, under 9.2.

Most reactions

Latest posts