iOS 9 announced

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by scifan57, Jun 8, 2015.

1. alexm1

alexm1
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Twerppoet, I cannot find slideover, can you expand on what it is, thanks.

2. Husq250

Husq250
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Your supposed to be able to open a second app without leaving the one your in. Im not sure yet what that is supposed to mean.

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you are a registered developer and are running iOS 9 beta 1, slide over is accessed by swiping from the right edge of the screen towards the centre. You'll see something like this.
    image.jpg

Tap on one of the app icons and it will open in the side bar.
    image.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Check out post #4 in this thread, I posted a screenshot showing Safari and the clock app open at the same time.

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Almost certainly.

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    SciFan has already answered this for me, but I'll expand on it a bit anyway, because it's such an interesting feature.

There are two new multitask modes; Slideover and Split View. Well, three, if you consider picture-in-picture.

Slide over gives you an appearance of another app in your main app. It takes up about a quarter of the screen on the right side (in landscape view), and as the name implies you slide it over from that edge of the screen; similar to how you pull the Notification Center and Control Center from the top and bottom of the screen. To begin with you'll probably only see Apple's native apps and a few other's supported; however Apple has said that any developer that supports the iPhone 6, and has used the new auto-layout tools should find it trivial to add this capability to their apps.

Side View gives you two full apps running side by side. Everything the apps can do in full screen should be supported in Sideview. Unlike Slideover it should already support most apps, and you can adjust how much of the screen each apps gets.

Slideover will work on the iPad Air and Mini 2, and newer devices.

Sideview will only work on the iPad Air 2 at this time.

As other's have noted this is probably due to the extra RAM in the iPad Air 2, but it's probably also because it's a ridiculously over powered device. Well, it was until now. I guess Apple had some reasons for beefing up the iPad Air 2's specs.

My guess it's the two features will break down this way.

Slideover will be mostly for dealing with quick tasks without having to leave your current app: answer a message, check a new email, jot a quick note, look up a location, etc.

Sideview will be for more serious, long term, multitasking. Say you're doing research and want to keep both a browser and your note taking app open, or the book you're reading and a note app, or the book you're reading and a translation/dictionary app open. There are lots of possibilities here.

Note: PiP (Picture in Picture) will let you continue watching a video or a Facetime call while using another app. PiP will work on the same devices as Slideover.

#16 twerppoet, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. ardchoille

ardchoille
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    This tells me that Apple had been working on Slideover and Sideview since before the iPad Air 2 was manufactured and that device was specifically overpowered so it could use these two new features. I believe this is an example of feature/device history and planning.

Go, Apple!

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You're right about the limited app selection for slideover and sideview. Basically only Apple apps work with it right now. Well undoubtedly see more additions as iOS 9 moves through the beta process.

This view is great for selecting photos to post here, as you never leave the forum to select the photo.
    image.jpg

#18 scifan57, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  9. ardchoille

ardchoille
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Are you able to drag & drop between those two windows?

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, I tried that and it didn't work.