What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 9 announced

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple has just announced iOS 9 at the WWDC Keynote and it will support all devices capable of running iOS 8, including the iPad 2. This means that on the public release of iOS 9 in September, the iPad 2 will have been through 6 major iOS versions, from iOS 4 to iOS 9.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One of the tentpole features of iOS 9 is supposed to be performance improvements; which means it is possible (just possible, not inevitable) that iOS 9 may even improve responsiveness in the iPad 2.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess we'll find out when the first people install it on an iPad 2. I expect we'll hear fairly soon about how the iPad 2 performs as I'm sure that someone is already installing the beta version on their iPad 2.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the new split screen mode on the iPad Air 2.
image.jpg

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't work with all apps yet, I expect that will improve as we get closer to the public release in September.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Guess I'm going to have to buy a new iPad next revision. I was thinking of going three years with the Air 1, but I can see now I'm really going to want the split screen feature. It will be difficult waiting another 6 months or more for it, but I'm not going to buy an iPad Air 2 then hate myself for missing out on whatever new hardware comes out.

In the mean time I guess Slideover will have to do.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But will the iPad 2 support the split screen function? I see a few reviews saying the iPad2 might even see a performance increase over IOS 8x.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But will the iPad 2 support the split screen function? I see a few reviews saying the iPad2 might even see a performance increase over IOS 8x.
Split screen only works with the iPad Air 2.

alexm1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Guess I'm going to have to buy a new iPad next revision. I was thinking of going three years with the Air 1, but I can see now I'm really going to want the split screen feature. It will be difficult waiting another 6 months or more for it, but I'm not going to buy an iPad Air 2 then hate myself for missing out on whatever new hardware comes out.

In the mean time I guess Slideover will have to do.

Twerppoet, I cannot find slideover, can you expand on what it is, thanks.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your supposed to be able to open a second app without leaving the one your in. Im not sure yet what that is supposed to mean.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Twerppoet, I cannot find slideover, can you expand on what it is, thanks.
If you are a registered developer and are running iOS 9 beta 1, slide over is accessed by swiping from the right edge of the screen towards the centre. You'll see something like this.
image.jpg

Tap on one of the app icons and it will open in the side bar.
image.jpg

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your supposed to be able to open a second app without leaving the one your in. Im not sure yet what that is supposed to mean.
Check out post #4 in this thread, I posted a screenshot showing Safari and the clock app open at the same time.

Most reactions