What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 9.3.5 on iPad 3 [edited August 26, 2016]

How is your experience with iOS 9.1 on the iPad 3?

• Good

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Difference

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

funpig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been on iOS 8.3 for the last month waiting for reviews to decide whether to upgrade to iOS 9.0. Not a lot out there. There are a couple Russian(?) Youtube reviews but i could not understand them. There are a few reviews for ipad 2, results were mixed.

I received the iOS 9.1 download on the weekend and decided to bite the bullet and update.

So far, I am happy.

The update took about 25 minutes. I did not activate icloud or any of the other online backup features (I generally do not like to keep personal info in the cloud, but I do use dropbox for working with others).

I am always concerned about battery drain after an update. I am happy to report that after 11 hours of standby over night, the battery usage was 0% change. During usage, the battery usage appears to be normal, so far. But on my particular iPad 3 and setup, i never had any battery prblems with iOS 7 or 8.

The UI does seem to be alot smoother with less stuttering compared to iOS 8. Apps may load slightly slower than before, but this is just a subjective observation. No crashes or lockups yet. I do not have a lot of apps (16 GB version). Dropbox, Netflix, Yahoo Mail, tripadvisor, WPS, google maps. Google translate. No problems. In fact, fitness app which downloads heart monitor and workout info from my Mio fuse wristband works better than uder 8.3.

Safari seems to load pages a bit quicker than in iOS 8 and a less glitchier. Pinch zooming and scrolling seems definitely smoother and faster than before. Also purely subjective. No issues with wifi or bluetooth connections.

I will report any noticable changes or issues. I would like to hear from other iPad 3 owners.

Anyways, I would recommend the 9.1 update. YMMV.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums, funpig!

Thanks for a very informative post. I also have an iPad 3 on iOS 9.0.2 and haven't noticed any problems either. In regards to iCloud, if you ever want to use Find my iPad to track or erase your iPad if it's ever lost or stolen, you'll have to set up an iCloud account on your iPad. The choice is entirely yours, though.

OP
F

funpig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, sc57. This iPad has been strictly stay at home device. If I decide to take it on a trip, I will probably do as you suggested.

OP
F

funpig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess there are not too many iPad 3 owners out there anymore...

So far so good. No change to my original review above. 9.1 is noticeably better than 8.3.1.

Current battery status: 2%, after 12 hrs 20 minutes of usage and 70 hours of standby. The ipad 3 may be older and heavier, but it has a big ass battery.

OP
F

funpig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last iPad 3 owner on Earth reporting...

Just updated to iOS 9.2.1.

No issues. It way even be slightly faster loading than before.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol
You're not the only iPad 3 owner. My son has one of them too, and it's working good, with 9.2.1 installed.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Last iPad 3 owner on Earth reporting...

Just updated to iOS 9.2.1.

No issues. It way even be slightly faster loading than before.

Hi Funpig - if your first response above is meant to imply that you're the last iPad 3 owner on the planet, then I have to LOL, too! ;) Very few members seem to reply to these polls that are posted here - don't believe that I ever have (and a member since 2011).

BUT w/ a little googling, I found the survey below and seems that as of late 2015, the iPad 2 is the most popular model being used @ that time (I dumped mine a year before that survey date and switched to the iPad Air 2) - your model trumps mine by a percentage point - SO, no you are not the last person on earth to be using the third generation iPad - :) Dave
Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 7.17.43 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Funpig - if your first response above is meant to imply that you're the last iPad 3 owner on the planet, then I have to LOL, too! ;) Very few members seem to reply to these polls that are posted here - don't believe that I ever have (and a member since 2011).

BUT w/ a little googling, I found the survey below and seems that as of late 2015, the iPad 2 is the most popular model being used @ that time (I dumped mine a year before that survey date and switched to the iPad Air 2) - your model trumps mine by a percentage point - SO, no you are not the last person on earth to be using the third generation iPad - :) Dave
View attachment 70173
I'd be interested in an updated poll now that the iPad pro has been available for the last 3 months.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'd be interested in an updated poll now that the iPad pro has been available for the last 3 months.

Actually, when I found that round pie chart (I guess - must be a different name for that percentage circle?) - I was somewhat amazed that the iPad 2 + the iPad Mini added up to 38% - boy, those are old machines - I suspect toward the end of 2016, that circle will look quite different, i.e. the iPad Mini 4 (which my wife is now using), the iPad Air 3 (maybe this spring), and the iPad Pro will likely change those figures as the two current 'old' contenders fade away. Dave :)

OP
F

funpig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. Glad to see there are still other ipad 3 owners out there. I know there are lots of ipad 2's because Apple continued to sell the 2 after discontinuing the 3.

I startled this thread three months ago because i could not find any good info about upgrading the iPad 3 to iOS 9. I am usually reluctant to update right away. I usually wait at least a month and read all update reviews to make sure there are no serious issues. But nobody seems to talk ipad 3 anymore. I had hoped other owners would also post in this thrad with some info about issues etc with each update.

My iPad 3 is getting pretty old but so far the darn thing is reliable and still works very well. No wonder Apple sales are slowing because of market saturation. They need to come up with something really revolutionary to give people like me an excuse to buy a new one to replace existing hardware. We still have our kids two original iPod Touches lying around. They still work but kids had moved on to iPhones. I still like to use them for workouts and running in case i drop it during exercise.

I just update the ipad 3 right away now because i can never find any discussions on the ipad 3. Maybe i am hoping that the updates will brick my ipad 3 and give me an excuse to by a new one.

Anyways, the point of this thread is the ipad 3 and current updates. So far, no battery drain with 9.2.1. And it does feel smoother and quicker, but that may be because i cleared all running apps and rebooted it after the update. After more than 6.5 hours of usage (mostly Safari and some youtube), there is still 51% battery left.

Last edited:

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't done the update yet. I still have my iPad 3, still works great. I got the new iPad pro,but still love my iPad 3 : )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Still using an iPad 2 here. Wait!!! There was an iPad 3? I must have dozed off for a while.

(Was that the 4 with a 30 pin?)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Still using an iPad 2 here. Wait!!! There was an iPad 3? I must have dozed off for a while.

(Was that the 4 with a 30 pin?)

The iPad 4 came out soon after the iPad 3, just a few months. The only differences were the lightning connector and a slight boost to the processor speed. Otherwise, the software and hardware were identical to the iPad 3.

OP
F

funpig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated to iOS 9.3 today.

At least, it did not brick my iPad 3. There are stories of iPad 2s bricking after the update. So far, my iPad 3 seems to be working fine. I am not sure if I will be using any of the new features. My main concerns after an update are performance and battery. I will report back after I have used it a few days.

I edited the thread title but I cannot change the poll question.

Most reactions

Latest posts