What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8x broke my iPad 3

boresparcons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The App Store freezes upon opening, several purchased apps have been downgraded to free or ad-supported versions, overall performance very sluggish, startup takes over twice as long and screen goes totally black for last 25 seconds of boot. Many apps that used to work are now broken. Was hoping that updates to iOS and apps would restore functionality, but 8.2 is no better, and may even be worse, than 8.0. iOS 8 has destroyed the usefulness and fun of using my iPad 3.

iOS 7 was the last version that functioned well, is there any way I can get iOS 7x back?

Thanks, b

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting your iPad? Press and hold both the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons and let the iPad restart.

BTW, if it really was iOS 8 that's causing all your problems, it would affect everybody

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The App Store freezes upon opening, several purchased apps have been downgraded to free or ad-supported versions, overall performance very sluggish, startup takes over twice as long and screen goes totally black for last 25 seconds of boot. Many apps that used to work are now broken. Was hoping that updates to iOS and apps would restore functionality, but 8.2 is no better, and may even be worse, than 8.0. iOS 8 has destroyed the usefulness and fun of using my iPad 3.

iOS 7 was the last version that functioned well, is there any way I can get iOS 7x back?

Thanks, b

Unfortunately you can't go back to an older version of iOS as Apple is currently signing versions 8.1.3 and 8.2 only, and 8.1.3 will be ending soon. What fixes have you tried on your iPad?

It's possible that the best thing may be to just connect your iPad to your PC and do a backup and restore.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

OP
B

boresparcons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried resetting your iPad? Press and hold both the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons and let the iPad restart.

BTW, if it really was iOS 8 that's causing all your problems, it would affect everybody

Thanks for your response.
I have tried resetting the iPad as you describe, several times, also cold start it daily. Behavior and severely degraded performance do not improve.

What startup times are typical for a 3rd gen? Does the screen normally go totally black for about 25 seconds before showing the first screen?
Tnx again, b

OP
B

boresparcons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

I am not sure what fixes can be applied to an iPad, they are so locked-down, they don't allow any user-based fixing, do they? Other than several resets, daily cold starts, keeping the OS and apps current what else can an end-user of an iPad do? If it was Linux or Windows, I would know what to do to troubleshoot and fix. Apple just locks me out, unless someone can has a trick or two I could try. (I am game to try anything--pretty worthless as-is)

Your suggestion about bu/restore may be the only, best last-shot solution.
Thanks, b

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

I am not sure what fixes can be applied to an iPad, they are so locked-down, they don't allow any user-based fixing, do they? Other than several resets, daily cold starts, keeping the OS and apps current what else can an end-user of an iPad do? If it was Linux or Windows, I would know what to do to troubleshoot and fix. Apple just locks me out, unless someone can has a trick or two I could try. (I am game to try anything--pretty worthless as-is)

Your suggestion about bu/restore may be the only, best last-shot solution.
Thanks, b

Well there are a few things one can do, such as a hard reset by holding down the home and power buttons till you see the Apple logo. then there are a few things in Settings-General-Reset:

90a8ce4bc351339fb6d3a2f67b700366.jpg

Before you did the backup restore, you could try the reset all settings and see if that helps or not.

OP
B

boresparcons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well there are a few things one can do, such as a hard reset by holding down the home and power buttons till you see the Apple logo. then there are a few things in Settings-General-Reset:

90a8ce4bc351339fb6d3a2f67b700366.jpg

Before you did the backup restore, you could try the reset all settings and see if that helps or not.

Thanks for the info.
I was avoiding 'reset all' because it seems such a radical and destructive action to correct what should have an easier fix. I shall research further what exactly reset all does so I have everything I need to restart this thing ~before~ I push the buttons...sigh.
Thanks again for your help, b

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
I was avoiding 'reset all' because it seems such a radical and destructive action to correct what should have an easier fix. I shall research further what exactly reset all does so I have everything I need to restart this thing ~before~ I push the buttons...sigh.
Thanks again for your help, b
Reset all settings will remove every information you set up in the Settings app. You'd have to go through every single setting afterwards to choose what you prefer.

I suppose you updated over the air (Settings - General - Software Update).
Restoring through iTunes will most likely help in that case. Backup your device (iTunes or iCloud, whichever you prefer) and restore your iPad using iTunes. This will remove the old software completely and install a "fresh" version of the latest software. You can restore from the backup afterwards.

OP
B

boresparcons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reset all settings will remove every information you set up in the Settings app. You'd have to go through every single setting afterwards to choose what you prefer.

I suppose you updated over the air (Settings - General - Software Update).
Restoring through iTunes will most likely help in that case. Backup your device (iTunes or iCloud, whichever you prefer) and restore your iPad using iTunes. This will remove the old software completely and install a "fresh" version of the latest software. You can restore from the backup afterwards.

You suppose correctly. Thanks for the info. I will give it a try. b

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, I've noticed that when doing the reset by holding the home and power buttons, it's normal for the screen to blank out for close to half a minute or so after the Apple logo disappears and before the lock screen appears. This is for iPad 2, 3, 4, and Air 2. It's probably for iPad Air as well but I don't have one of those to test it on.

OP
B

boresparcons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, I've noticed that when doing the reset by holding the home and power buttons, it's normal for the screen to blank out for close to half a minute or so after the Apple logo disappears and before the lock screen appears. This is for iPad 2, 3, 4, and Air 2. It's probably for iPad Air as well but I don't have one of those to test it on.

Someone I know has an iPad Air says it goes directly from the dimmed apple to the lock screen, without any blank/black screen at all, completing a cold power on in about 30 seconds, much the way this one used to, but under iOS 6x. Must be a delay programmed into the boot process by Apple to encourage purchase of newer devices. I think it is called planned obsolescence ;)

Thanks for everyone's ideas, b

Most reactions

Latest posts