What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8 uninstall?

RacewayJay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can ios8 be uninstalled and then re-installed? Mine installed with no problem but a friend is having big problems. If it can be done...how?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can ios8 be uninstalled and then re-installed? Mine installed with no problem but a friend is having big problems. If it can be done...how?

You really can't uninstall an iOS, but you can install a new version so that the iPad is in a "fresh out of the box" state.

To do, the first thing you want to do is download the IPSW file (the iOS) version suitable for your iPad. See this thread for links to the downloads: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-for-ipad.24939/

The only one you can install right now is iOS 8.0.2. In fact, now that I'm thinking of it, if you can wait, may I suggest waiting until Monday when iOS 8.1 is available. But, if you can't wait...

While the download is happening, make a backup of the iPad, if you can. That way, you won't lose any settings or data.

When the download is done, follow this thread to put your iPad into DFU mode (a fancy way of saying get it ready to install the iOS): http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/dfu-mode-for-dummies.27489/

Once the iPad is in DFU mode, you open iTunes and it should recognize that an iPad is connected that is in recovery mode. Accept the check and then press/hold the Shift key and press the Restore button. Navigate to the .ipsw file you just downloaded and select it.

Now, you just have to wait until iTunes does its "magic." When prompted, use the backup you made to put the iPad back to the way you had it.

That should do it. Please let us know how you get on or if you have any questions. Good luck.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts