What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8 - Opinion... likes, dislikes, glitches (solutions?)

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all,

OK it is now a good few days since the update and overall I think it has been very positive with no real issues, just the odd "glitch".

1) The update to Safari with the side bar for favourites - I just wish you could sideswipe from the left to get it to display. I also like the ability to force the desktop version of sites & the shrinking top nav bar when viewing/scrolling a page.
2) The updates to how iCloud works with Family Sharing - my wife will soon be getting a new Mini (post the update in October).
3) The general improvements & now more logical location of Privacy and app specific controls around those areas.
4) The addition of "widgets" (still not as good as Android in that area, though) to Notifications.

DISLIKES
None really - but I do have some "disappointments" :(

DISAPPOINTING
1) The improvements to the keyboard are not what I wanted personally. I don't need swiping I just want the system keyboard to have the option of a fifth number row. How hard can it be!
2) The still rigid icon layout on the home screen/s
3) The lack of home screen widgets

GLITCHES
1) The Yahoo weather app doesn't reliably display in Notifications - mainly noticed in the iPad although it also happens on my iPhone.
2) I have several repeated reminders in my iPad - some quite lengthy. They too are unreliable in how they display in the actual notifications pull down.
3) Safari is occasionally glitchy - particularly when typing.
4) Following a power & home button reset, the wallpaper does not display correctly & has to be reloaded.

Your comments & opinions would be welcomed - especially if you have any solutions :D

Cheers all.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My immediate comment is do a full restore in a computer with iTunes because the issues you have are frankly minor. One must understand thousands of 3rd party apps are still going through updates so any comment regarding the likes of yahoo weather mean nothing. In respect to safari there are known issues which will be addressed shortly by Apple In respect to reminders I have some 30 plus reminders a day all of which are working fine across 5 iOS 8 devices I don't understand your issue with the keyboard Apple has added features with the bigger phones however it is impossible on a iPhone 5 or earlier to offer the same features you can install third party keyboards maybe that will resolve that issue In other words in respect tol Apple it will not happen. Widgets are built into notifications only a few at this time but they will grow once 3rd party delvelopets upgrade there apps

As for the home screen issue what you see is what yu get. Hope that helps yu. Cheers Colin

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only thing I can't stand right now is how the safari favorites bar disappears as you scroll. I so wish you could turn this OFF! Otherwise, iOS 8 seems pretty good to me and I'm liking it so far.

OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My immediate comment is do a full restore in a computer with iTunes because the issues you have are frankly minor. One must understand thousands of 3rd party apps are still going through updates so any comment regarding the likes of yahoo weather mean nothing. In respect to safari there are known issues which will be addressed shortly by Apple In respect to reminders I have some 30 plus reminders a day all of which are working fine across 5 iOS 8 devices I don't understand your issue with the keyboard Apple has added features with the bigger phones however it is impossible on a iPhone 5 or earlier to offer the same features you can install third party keyboards maybe that will resolve that issue In other words in respect tol Apple it will not happen. Widgets are built into notifications only a few at this time but they will grow once 3rd party delvelopets upgrade there apps

As for the home screen issue what you see is what yu get. Hope that helps yu. Cheers Colin

I wasn't aware I had any issues Colin :D I was just making a few comments on minor early day glitches that occur on my iPad (not iPhone). Can't do anything with iTunes & a computer - I'm part of the brave new "post PC" world & do everything via iCloud.

I'm glad to read that Safari will receive an update in pretty short order, though.

I also understand that the Yahoo app widget may well need fixing by Yahoo.

As far as the keyboard goes, installing a third party keyboard wouldn't help as for security reasons whenever you need to enter a password in a browser the system automatically forces the Apple keyboard on you. All I am asking for is the option to turn on a fifth row (on an iPad which is plenty big enough if the 6+ is) which has numbers across the top. No need to get all "defensive of Apple" on me (perhaps I misunderstood your 'tone' though :)) - I get enough of that from the Android aficionados on other forums :)

Al the best :)

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong ok not defensive at all. Every year we go through this so all I tried to do was respond to your questions if I offended you I am sorry that was not my intention. Regard the option I seriously do not think it is possible may be send a email to Apple will help. I was not aware that the system forces the apple keyboard on you. I use onesafe app to handle passwords which uses it's own browser so I have no issues with what you experienced. Hope that clarifies what I posted.

OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No need to apologise :) I wasn't offended...

That's the only trouble with forums - you can't "hear" the tone of voice.

I doubt that a request to Apple would help with the keyboard - folks have been asking for a fifth keyboard row for years & it seems to fall on deaf ears.

I have been wondering about using a Password app solution - especially once my good lady moves to Apple - we could use the same app & she would find it easier than remembering our current password "system". Do you feel they are...
Secure?
As safe as a memory based system?
Why choose OneSafe over 1Password?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had 1 password for a couple of years however had issues with logging on from my Mac etc . It lost the plot with passwords. I must say I changed over over a year ago and since then 1 password has been updated and I believe much better. One safe offers a both single and double password access which updates all devices that you have it installed. The downside it is not available for Mac OS but that is not an issue with me. Hope that helps

doon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll chime in with a glitch and a solution particularly as when I was struggling with it a Google search found nothing of relevance.

I have a 16gb iPad Air. After about 48 hours with IOS8 it decided that the original Apple charger and cable were not certified. As a result, despite showing the charging lightning icon, it would not charge no matter what I did or how long I left it.

A full delete and restore (via iCloud in my case) cured it. It now charges as it should. The process was quick and painless too, so I regard that as a plus.

I'm disappointed it happened, but relieved it is resolved. I was resigned to a visit to an Apple store at one point.

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No numbers on the keyboard is a BIG FAIL to me. Hit space bar it goes back to alpha, go to number and hit space bar and it goes back to alphas again. What the .........! No amount hoop jumping and finger sliding is going to fix it.
Now I can't move my curser to fix or change a word without going out of the keyboard, moving my curser, changing and going back and forth like that. WHAT A PITA!
I reboot and it messes with my wall paper. Have to go and select something else, close out, go back and choose my original wall paper.
Why do I have have the recent message thing pop up in the middle of my wallpaper. How can I get rid of it?
How can I get rid of installed aps I have absolutely no use for?
Why can't I get Chrome to be my default browser?
I returned a Galaxy for this? Not happy.

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ah ha! The uncoprative curser is ONLY in this forum. Did a couple of resets and replies to posts on other forums and no problem. Came to report here and can't move my curser without disabling the keyboard and reabling the keyboard. Anyone else here have this problem here? Could be a skeem to get rid of Ibill? :)

doon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll chime in with a glitch and a solution particularly as when I was struggling with it a Google search found nothing of relevance.

I have a 16gb iPad Air. After about 48 hours with IOS8 it decided that the original Apple charger and cable were not certified. As a result, despite showing the charging lightning icon, it would not charge no matter what I did or how long I left it.

A full delete and restore (via iCloud in my case) cured it. It now charges as it should. The process was quick and painless too, so I regard that as a plus.

I'm disappointed it happened, but relieved it is resolved. I was resigned to a visit to an Apple store at one point.
Quoting myself I know, but I just updated to 8.0.2 (stupid me!) and it did it again!!
Fed up with doing restores now. Gets old fast.

I can't rule out a genuine hardware fault for certain, but my faith has been severely dented.

ChuckMarr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The issue I have is that I must reset the network connections periodically. From what I can tell once I reset the network connections my iPad works fine. When it does it auto-off thingy after a couple of minutes I can go right back to work with no real issues. If it sits in the off position for a longer period of time I loose the ability to connect to the network and must do a reset at which point it works fine.....well except when it arbitrarily shuts down an APP while I'm working in it or brings up blank screens for extended periods of time.

auntymaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

OK it is now a good few days since the update and overall I think it has been very positive with no real issues, just the odd "glitch".

1) The update to Safari with the side bar for favourites - I just wish you could sideswipe from the left to get it to display. I also like the ability to force the desktop version of sites & the shrinking top nav bar when viewing/scrolling a page.
2) The updates to how iCloud works with Family Sharing - my wife will soon be getting a new Mini (post the update in October).
3) The general improvements & now more logical location of Privacy and app specific controls around those areas.
4) The addition of "widgets" (still not as good as Android in that area, though) to Notifications.

DISLIKES
None really - but I do have some "disappointments" :(

DISAPPOINTING
1) The improvements to the keyboard are not what I wanted personally. I don't need swiping I just want the system keyboard to have the option of a fifth number row. How hard can it be!
2) The still rigid icon layout on the home screen/s
3) The lack of home screen widgets

GLITCHES
1) The Yahoo weather app doesn't reliably display in Notifications - mainly noticed in the iPad although it also happens on my iPhone.
2) I have several repeated reminders in my iPad - some quite lengthy. They too are unreliable in how they display in the actual notifications pull down.
3) Safari is occasionally glitchy - particularly when typing.
4) Following a power & home button reset, the wallpaper does not display correctly & has to be reloaded.

Your comments & opinions would be welcomed - especially if you have any solutions :D

Cheers all.
Hi there
I am a mouldy oldie who owns an iPad 2 which I have loved using. Since upgrading to 8 and 8.2 it seemsTo have developed Alzheimer's. On start up instead of going from apple logo to password page it crashes to a black screen, I have to press the power button to get first a flash of the screen and eventually a stable enough screen to write the password and get into the damned thing. Then I find that the entry to home page is only what I can describe as 'sticky' or 'jumpy' the touch screen is far less receptive, sometimes when typing there is delay in letters coming up. I wish I had stuck with 7, as currently the whole ipad experience sucks!
Can you or anyone else offer a solution in simple language for an old codger please!

Most reactions

Latest posts