What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8.3 Released With Wireless CarPlay, New Emojis, and More

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iOS 8.3.JPG

AppleInsider reports that Apple has today released iOS 8.3, complete with Emoji additions, as well as upgrades to Siri, wireless CarPlay, and improvements to apps such as Passbook.

The redesigned Emoji keyboard introduces racially diverse characters, several new same-sex family Emojis, as well as organizing the icons into categories, and adding new flags and new characters.

The Siri upgrades include being able to make calls via the iPhone speakerphone, as well as new languages and accents.

Also included in the update is wireless CarPlay support, whereby you can connect your iPhone to a dashboard unit without having to use a Lightning cable.

Various other tweaks for iOS apps include Passbook now separating Apple Pay from Passes, and Messages now having the option to distinguish between threads from contacts and those from people that you don’t know. You can also now choose to have spam automatically reported.

Other small but useful changes include the spacebar in the keyboard being stretched out, and having the option to turn off password requirements when downloading free apps in the App Store.

Source: Apple launches iOS 8.3 with new emoji characters wireless CarPlay more

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you've updated the emoji is available, sort of. It doesn't show up in the keyboard the it will display if you have the code. Here it is . You can copy and paste it into a keyboard shortcut until Apple gets around to adding it, if they do.

If you haven't updated to iOS 8.3 or OS X 10.10.3 it will just be a string of characters.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Or blank, apparently, if you've viewing it in Safari on an iMac. Weird, because it showed up when I was editing the post.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this site blocks all emoji except the ones built into the editor. It should work else where. I copied it from a tweet, so I know it works in Twitter.
That's a shame as the new emoji are very extensive and cover many more situations. This would be something for the forum owners to look into to see if we can make use of these new emoji.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this site blocks all emoji except the ones built into the editor. It should work else where. I copied it from a tweet, so I know it works in Twitter.
I've seen members posting emojis from the built in keyboard as well.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Let's experiment. First, some emoji from the site's editior.

:);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

Now some from the iPad's Emoji keyboard. I'll start with the standards, incase it is only filtering, as opposed to blocking all real emoji.

☺️
⛽️⌚️

Most reactions

Latest posts