What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 8.1 notification center

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello, i have a little issue in IOS 8.1 notification center not showing enough reminders. It will only list approximately 4, and show "and 15 more" when i need it to show all of them like IOS 7 did. I have selected to show 20.

Suggestions?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't get enough notifications to see this, and I don't think I've got anything beyond 'show 5' anyway.

So, this is speculative. If you tap where it says "15 More" does it then show the 15 more?

One thing you can try is Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. This defaults a lot of settings like wallpaper, sounds, etc. I'm not sure how it affects Notifications, but if it resets them (as it hopefully should) then you can go back and re-tweak to see if it fixed the issue.

Reset All Settings will not erase any content, apps, or change your account settings.

OP
Husq250

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. It does not show more than 4 regardless of what I select. When I installed IOS 8.1 i did both hard reset and reset all settings to help sort th new software out. No change.

This will be a bummer if i cannot get it to show all.

OP
Husq250

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well here I tried 10 for the stock reminders app and calendars 5.

**I'll have to make 2 posts on this. One with text and one with screen shots. Safari is too glitchy to arrange it the way I want.

OP
Husq250

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

That was kinda difficult. Safari doesn't seem to want to behave.

I've been looking into this a bit. It seem s this is the ways IOS 8 is right now. Several people not too happy with this.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You are looking at the Today view. Swipe over to the Notification view (or tap the Notification tab). I'm pretty sure that's the view that is controlled by the "Show in Notification Center" setting.

Also, try the Edit command at the bottom of the Today view. Calendar 5 may have a widget that will offer more control over what you can see. Fantastical 2 (what I use) does.

A quick tip for Reminders. Tell Siri "Show me my Reminders" and you'll get a complete, checkable, list. Or you can ask Siri to show you a specific list, like "Show me my Shopping list."

For Calendar, you can ask Siri to "Show me my appointments". That gets you today. Asking Siri to "Show me all appointments this month (or week)", gets you that. This will only work if you are using Calendar 5 synced with the native Calendar app.

OP
Husq250

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The notification view does not show the reminders like the today views do that I've always used in IOS 7. It probably would if I set an alarm. I believe it's a change made in IOS 8 from 7 and I will have to get used to it. Thanks for trying.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
True, Notification Center only shows notifications, not contents. Which means in order for a notification to show up it must have a due date the same as or older than the current date.

No due date, no notification.

I don't remember what the Today view used to show, since I've never used it that way.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I did just little playing around, to see if I understood things correctly. I didn't. I can't get anymore to show up that you did. And they only show up in the Today tab, no matter what I do.

Also, my Fantastical widget has the same four item limit. It's never been an issue for me, because I almost never have more than four items in a day. Except when the reoccurring bills roll through, and I don't deal with those in the Notification Center.

Sorry.

OP
Husq250

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you look at the first picture in post #6 and at the reminders, it shows 4 rows of reminders and says- "and 6 more reminders". Back in IOS 7 it would actually show all 10 reminders on the screen. I came to rely on the ability to quickly get to those reminders and check them off. Now in IOS 8 I have to launch the reminders app through the notification center to see and check the rest of them off. The problem with that is I don't use the reminders app. I use a 3rd party app that syncs with the native IOS reminders app, so I wouldn't want to launch that app.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ignore the last two paragraphs. I downloaded Calendar 5 to see what their widget does, and it doesn't do task, only events. Bummer.

I used to use Calendar 5, until I tried Fantastical. Both are excellent, but I like the look and view options in Fantastical 2 just a bit better. And now the widget appears to be better too.

Here are the two widgets. As you can see Fantastical shows both events and tasks (but only four sadly). You can also tap on the tays in the widget to show the events/tasks for that day.

Tapping on either widget will take you to the app. So even if you stick with Calendar 5, adding that widget would offer you a shortcut to it instead of the Reminders app.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416731167.067358.jpg

And what the main app looks like. You can adjust or eliminate the different areas if you need need more room for the others. Also, like Calendar 5, natural language input is supported, and syncing withe the native calendar/reminders or Google.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416731181.930542.jpg

Have you tried using the Today view's widget for Calendar 5, instead of the Reminders widget? Even if it does not show you the up-to-ten items you'd like, at least it would launch Calendar 5 instead of the Reminder's app when you tap on it.

I'm not sure how the Calendar 5 widget works/looks. With Fantastical you can have both a calendar and item view (limited to four items), but you can tap on the dates in the calendar to see the items for those days.

Last edited:
OP
Husq250

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was starting to think it was an IOS 8 limitations type thing but I went back to using Wunderlist and it allows 10! Too bad it won't sync with reminders so, no Siri. That's out.

I can't believe Readdle doesn't utilize tasks in notifications center, maybe in a future update. I've suggested it to them but got the usual response of passing it on to the devs.

Most reactions

Latest posts