What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ios 8.1.3 is supposed to do what?

fogey0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded this because it was supposed to provide bug fixes of which there are many. It fixed nothing and now about half the time the screen switches to the App Store for no reason. What is this supposed to do?
The worst thing I've ever done with this ipad was to switch to ios 8 ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is the screen switching to the App Store when browsing in Safari?

If so, go to Settings > Safari and Clear History and Website Data. This is a problem with poorly formed banner adds for apps in the App Store. It's got nothing to do with the iOS update.

The bug fixes were minor ones. I don't remember what problems you were/are having with your iPad, but it may be rooted in something other than iOS bugs.

Nepheler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't see any difference...
Although it said to reduce update file size, I still lost about 500MB+ downloading this update which cannot even to turn off.

OP
F

fogey0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is the screen switching to the App Store when browsing in Safari?

If so, go to Settings > Safari and Clear History and Website Data. This is a problem with poorly formed banner adds for apps in the App Store. It's got nothing to do with the iOS update.

The bug fixes were minor ones. I don't remember what problems you were/are having with your iPad, but it may be rooted in something other than iOS bugs.
Thank you for your response. So from that I can assume that all of the glitches, issues and problems that only started to appear from downloading iOS 8 and subsequent updates are "rooted in something else?"

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. So from that I can assume that all of the glitches, issues and problems that only started to appear from downloading iOS 8 and subsequent updates are "rooted in something else?"

No. iOS 8 did bring some problems. Most of them have been squashed with the recent updates, a few, mostly relating to networking and discoverability, linger.

Some of the problems being blamed on iOS 8 are what you'd call collateral damage. Not iOS 8 specifically, but that apps designed for more capable iPads are pushing the older iPads to the brink of failure, and sometimes a bit beyond. It's not that the iPad 2 can't, in theory, handle the load, it's that it can only barely handle the load and the benefit to developers to make sure their apps work well on the oldest supported model isn't very motivating.

That means that a lot of the problems depend on combinations of apps, how much storage is left on your device, what kind of sites you visit, and probably a few other things I don't know about. In short, it's very unpredictable person to person. Some people are going to see no issues, while others are going to feel like the world is falling apart. From the general discussions here I'm going to guess that the ratio between no problem and all problem is in favor of the former. Not that I expect that makes those with issues any happier.

However, the problem you described has been around since at least iOS 6. Lately it seems that clearing web history and data is enough; something that didn't always work in iOS 6 and 7. A few people were forced to do a clean restore (no backup) to fix the issue. It's rooted in bad banner adds that use javascript. That Apple hasn't fixed it suggests that it can't be easily fixed without disabling javascript all together, which would cripple a great many web sites.

Another words, it's a result the continuing battle between shady/intrusive advertising practices and browser developers.

eelpc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded this because it was supposed to provide bug fixes of which there are many. It fixed nothing and now about half the time the screen switches to the App Store for no reason. What is this supposed to do?
The worst thing I've ever done with this ipad was to switch to ios 8 ?
Yes you are right for sure. I am now in the twilight zone with my ipad 2. I have reset pw and id and all but still can't get into it. All my ipad 2 is now is a paperweight.

Most reactions

Latest posts