What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 8.1. 1 Help

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I updated my trusty iPad 2 on Sunday and am heartily regretting it. The lagginess is upsetting. I took it to an Apple Shop for a complete factory reset today, but it is no better. I have turned off Predictive Text and would like to turn off the Apple and three Search Engine boxes, which head up Safai, because they probably do not help.

Does anyone know how, please? Many thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Settings - Safari - Search Engine, there's only the possibility to select the search engine you'd like to use.

You can disable search engine suggestions and other features, also in Settings - Safari.

I'm wondering which three search engine boxes you're referring to. Could you add a screenshot?

If you didn't reset you iPad so far, then do this now. It could remove some glitches you experience (Home and Power button simultaneously...).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I updated my trusty iPad 2 on Sunday and am heartily regretting it. The lagginess is upsetting. I took it to an Apple Shop for a complete factory reset today, but it is no better. I have turned off Predictive Text and would like to turn off the Apple and three Search Engine boxes, which head up Safai, because they probably do not help.

Does anyone know how, please? Many thanks
Try letting the update settle in for a day or so. Many members with the iPad 2 report better performance after a day or so. This is because after a major iOS update the system has to re-index and settle down before reaching peak efficiency. Most iPad 2 owners have no problems with the update.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you both for your helpful replies.

I have actually discovered the boxes with Search Engines on Safari were favourites which appeared even though I had switched them off in settings long ago and repeated the switching off today. They were listed in favourites and I was able to manually delete them!

Hopefully the Pad will soon be back to normal.

Many thanks again.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you both for your helpful replies.

I have actually discovered the boxes with Search Engines on Safari were favourites which appeared even though I had switched them off in settings long ago and repeated the switching off today. They were listed in favourites and I was able to manually delete them!

Hopefully the Pad will soon be back to normal.

Many thanks again.
Thanks for letting us know what you discovered about your problem. Let us know if your solution lasts.

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try letting the update settle in for a day or so. Many members with the iPad 2 report better performance after a day or so. This is because after a major iOS update the system has to re-index and settle down before reaching peak efficiency. Most iPad 2 owners have no problems with the update.

Right on, scifan57!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some background info.

You can't turn Favorites off. You can change which directory shows up as favorites. By default it's the Favorites folder, but it does not have to be.

What you can turn off is Show Favorites Bar. This is a bar of text links below the tool bar.

The most you can do is delete everything in the folder that has been selected as your Favorites (or change it to an empty folder). This does not get rid of the default screen, it just makes it blank, sometimes. You may still see frequently visited sites towards the bottom of the screen.

Going back to the initial problem in the thread, turning Favorites on/off should have absolutely no effect on the iPad's performance, speed wise. It's just a different way of showing you links. Nothing is downloaded until you tap on one of those links.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, scifan. I will let you know if the boxes come back and thanks too to twerpoet for the extra insights and workings of the Favourites Bar!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions