What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 8.1.1 faster on older iPads now?

Rends

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still on IOS 7 here on my iPad 3.
Can anyone tell me if the latest 8.1.1 is faster than 8.1 ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The release notes do say that the update contains, among other things, performance improvements for iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. The iPad 3 has not been affected as much as the iPad 2 but I'm assuming that the latest update will help improve performance. We'll have to wait and see until iPad 3 users start reporting on how their iPads perform on iOS 8.1.1.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I applied 8.1.1 to my iPad 3 today. Yes, it seems a little faster; doubleclicking the Home button to bring up the multitasking bar took about 1.5 seconds in 8.1, and now it's just about one second. That's probably around twice as long as iOS 7, but the multitasking display is a lot more complex in 8. Switching apps with the four-finger swipe seems considerably faster, too.

No problems so far, but then I didn't have problems before, except the slight delay in launching and switching apps. I feel it's important to update to get the latest security fixes--slight delays are insignificant compared to getting invaded by malware or having your passwords stolen.

Now, if I could only talk my wife into updating her iPad Mini...

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've only had it for a little while but, on my 1st hen iPad mini it seems to be a little smoother and Safari seems to behave a little better.

Honestly though if you dont have a specific feature-reason to update I wouldn't.

Every reason I wanted it I now find im already not using- iCloud Drive doesnt really work the way i want, the smart keyboard i dont like and while nothing really works very badly, everything now works more "glitchy".

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My youngest daughter updated last night on her iPad 2 and claims its a little quicker and smoother. Not sure how technical she is about it but I asked here and her reply was positive.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That can be turned off. Tap and hold on the globe or smiley button next to the numbers button at the left and disable Predictive.

Yes I did, thank you.

The latest update has made all my devices run pretty well. Unfortunately, I have disabled enough of the 8 pieces to make it really not much different than 7. It is still not quite as stable as seven but getting very close.

NAPABFH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my iPad mini still having software issues even with the most recent software

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
my iPad mini still having software issues even with the most recent software

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here are two things to try, maybe they'll help:

Reset the iPad: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, let go of both. The iPad will power up on it's own.

Restart it: turn it off, turn it on again.

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Yes, it's noticeably faster. The Browser responds more quickly too. Can't speak to Safari speed, but the Mercury Browser really is better now than with the previous updates.

(Thanks, Apple, for keeping up with the 'older' iPads. Good work! You have effectively 'hung me up' on the Apple iOS.)

The Merg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still finding that my iPad is a bit sluggish on iOS 8. It can definitely be seen on animations and Safari is still lagging when I try to close tabs or type. The biggest area I see it is when I am entering in login information for an app as the on-screen keyboard seems to lag behind what I am typing.

- Merg

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know that 8.1.1 was supposed to fix problems on iPad2, and from what I read it's done pretty well there. One problem I had with my iPad3 was that WiFi kept dropping out after the 8.0 update . Now I haven't had one drop-out on that and the Air2 after 8.1.1. Quite pleased about that actually:) This latest update seems to me more powerful than seems to be generally recognised IMO.
Andrew

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I confirmed with my daughter that the latest OS does in fact make her ipad 2 run smoother and faster. I know she isn't exactly going to give a scientifically backed response but she is a regular user and did compllain about iOS 8.0 when it came out so its a valid take on it.

:)

Most reactions

Latest posts