IOS 8.1.1 faster on older iPads now?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rends, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Rends

Rends
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Still on IOS 7 here on my iPad 3.
    Can anyone tell me if the latest 8.1.1 is faster than 8.1 ?

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The release notes do say that the update contains, among other things, performance improvements for iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. The iPad 3 has not been affected as much as the iPad 2 but I'm assuming that the latest update will help improve performance. We'll have to wait and see until iPad 3 users start reporting on how their iPads perform on iOS 8.1.1.

3. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I applied 8.1.1 to my iPad 3 today. Yes, it seems a little faster; doubleclicking the Home button to bring up the multitasking bar took about 1.5 seconds in 8.1, and now it's just about one second. That's probably around twice as long as iOS 7, but the multitasking display is a lot more complex in 8. Switching apps with the four-finger swipe seems considerably faster, too.

No problems so far, but then I didn't have problems before, except the slight delay in launching and switching apps. I feel it's important to update to get the latest security fixes--slight delays are insignificant compared to getting invaded by malware or having your passwords stolen.

Now, if I could only talk my wife into updating her iPad Mini...

4. Husq250

Husq250
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I've only had it for a little while but, on my 1st hen iPad mini it seems to be a little smoother and Safari seems to behave a little better.

Honestly though if you dont have a specific feature-reason to update I wouldn't.

Every reason I wanted it I now find im already not using- iCloud Drive doesnt really work the way i want, the smart keyboard i dont like and while nothing really works very badly, everything now works more "glitchy".

5. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That can be turned off. Tap and hold on the globe or smiley button next to the numbers button at the left and disable Predictive.

6. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    My youngest daughter updated last night on her iPad 2 and claims its a little quicker and smoother. Not sure how technical she is about it but I asked here and her reply was positive.

7. Husq250

Husq250
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Yes I did, thank you.

The latest update has made all my devices run pretty well. Unfortunately, I have disabled enough of the 8 pieces to make it really not much different than 7. It is still not quite as stable as seven but getting very close.

8. galapagos77

galapagos77
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    It seems like it's the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. NAPABFH

NAPABFH
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    my iPad mini still having software issues even with the most recent software

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Here are two things to try, maybe they'll help:

Reset the iPad: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, let go of both. The iPad will power up on it's own.

Restart it: turn it off, turn it on again.