What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8.1.1 Brings Bug fixes and Performance Improvements for iPad 2

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
upload.png

Just like we were telling you a while back, Apple was planning to release iOS 8.1.1 update with important software improvements for the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4s. And now this is happening. Apple has released iOS 8.1.1, which is regarded as a minor update to last month’s iOS 8.1 release for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

While it's a minor upgrade compared to the iOS 8.1 release, it does bring some needed improvements to certain Apple users. Apple is showing some love to owners of older devices and brings stability and performance improvements for iPad and iPhone 4s devices.

iOS 8.1.1 was released in beta to members of Apple’s developer program and the company is making it available to the general public. While Apple hasn't given any specific details about the 'stability and performance improvements' that it brings, it goes without saying that if you own an iPad 2 or an iPhone 4s, you should go ahead and make the update.

The update is available over-the-air through the Settings app under General and Software Update. It comes with a size of 182 megaytes.

Source: Apple

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I must say that after installing 8.1.1 I have my trusty old ipad 2 back. 8.0 was a mess and 8.1 helped somewhat but 8.1.1 has it back to at least iOS 7 level of performance.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One "bug" I was hoping would be fixed is the multigesture one, which unfortunately is still there and I must be resetting it two or three times a day still.
I find this strange and somewhat annoying, as it's been mentioned so much across so many forums now, and Apple must have been aware of it.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One "bug" I was hoping would be fixed is the multigesture one, which unfortunately is still there and I must be resetting it two or three times a day still.
I find this strange and somewhat annoying, as it's been mentioned so much across so many forums now, and Apple must have been aware of it.

I've read that others are still seeing this but since I updated a few days ago I have not. Hoping it's fixed but according to what some people are saying its not. Damn, that means it's likely going to happen to me too at some point here. Bleh.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad 2 is still going strong, and it got stronger with iOS 8.1.1. Chances it may get iOS 9?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad 2 is still going strong, and it got stronger with iOS 8.1.1. Chances it may get iOS 9?

I bet ya it does. With this latest release they proved that they could tighten things up for the older devices so my guess is that the ipad 2 will get iOS 9. Although it might not get every single feature.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bet ya it does. With this latest release they proved that they could tighten things up for the older devices so my guess is that the ipad 2 will get iOS 9. Although it might not get every single feature.

I think the reason why the iPad 2 survives 4 or 3 OS systems is due to the fact that not get the features optimized for 1 GB RAM. It doesn't have siri, it doesn't have Touch ID.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the reason why the iPad 2 survives 4 or 3 OS systems is due to the fact that not get the features optimized for 1 GB RAM. It doesn't have siri, it doesn't have Touch ID.
Correct, iOS is optimized for each device you use it on. That's whty there's a separate IPSW file for each version of each device. Features not usable on a particular device are not present in the download file for that device.

Most reactions

Latest posts