What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8.0.2 space required

Edspider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am confused. The information on iOS 8.0.2 says it is only 1.1 GB. It also says I need 5.9 GB to install it. I have only 1.2 GB available, having used 11.9. In order to install the new operating system I will have to delete ever app that I have, and that will still give me 3.350 gigs plus the 1.2 I have now, not enough to install the new OS. (megabytes not converted exactly to GB, but close enough to prove the point.). What am I missing?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am confused. The information on iOS 8.0.2 says it is only 1.1 GB. It also says I need 5.9 GB to install it. I have only 1.2 GB available, having used 11.9. In order to install the new operating system I will have to delete ever app that I have, and that will still give me 3.350 gigs plus the 1.2 I have now, not enough to install the new OS. (megabytes not converted exactly to GB, but close enough to prove the point.). What am I missing?
All that extra storage is used during the download, verification, and installation process and is freed up as soon as the update is completed. If you do the update through iTunes on your computer instead of OTA, you will not have to free up all that extra storage space.

OP
E

Edspider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank U. Now I have to do is figure out how to do the download through iTunes. I'll give it a try. Any directions would be appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Connect the iPad to the iTunes you normally sync with. Then, iTunes should automatically tell you that an update is available. Just click ok and it'll do it's magic.

If you don't get a pop-up when you connect to iTunes, there should be an Update button you can click which will then make iTunes do the work for you.

Good luck and holler back if you have any issues.

Marilyn

OP
E

Edspider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got 90% done and experienced "an unknown error." But then restored, and all seems well.

@@@can I use the iTunes on my laptop to update my wife's iPad?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Got 90% done and experienced "an unknown error." But then restored, and all seems well.

@@@can I use the iTunes on my laptop to update my wife's iPad?

Yes, if its the iTunes account you normally use to sync your wife's iPad.

You always want to make sure you use the iTunes the iPad syncs with, else you might lose the data on the iPad.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts