What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 7 Said to Integrate Siri and Maps With Your Car Dashboard

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
10135-apple-maps-australia.JPG

9to5 Mac continues with its in-depth look at the forthcoming iOS 7, with word from its sources today that Apple is planning to use the next iOS update to get more involved with in-car entertainment and information. According to the report, iOS 7 will have the ability to “deeply embed†Maps and Siri into cars, thanks to Apple’s partnering up with car makers to help them achieve this. 9to5 Mac’s sources also say that Apple is working with auto manufacturers to update car center consoles that can then be used to attach iPhones, iPads and iPod touches to dashboards. Said devices, once attached, would then be able to run special versions of Maps and Siri made specifically for in-car use, with Siri being used to control Maps and other iOS features, such as iTunes, presumably. According to the sources, Maps would be able to appear on the large screens that many modern vehicles are fitted with. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source:[/FONT] In iOS 7, Apple wants to own your car?s console with Maps and Siri integration | 9to5Mac

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That would be great, but late, IMO. Popout dashboard embeds are long overdue.

I'd want something inconspicuous and flexible, so you could pop out your device and put it away, for security. I also don't want a big honking iPad visible above my dash while I'm driving, or to be locked into a particular model or device.

It would be great to have a dedicated spot on your dash, into which you could seat the device of your choice securely, without wondering whether it'd come flying at you like a projectile in case of an accident.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple Maps and Siri in cars? Two technologies which are still, as yet, unproven? What about this sounds wrong?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple Maps and Siri in cars? Two technologies which are still, as yet, unproven? What about this sounds wrong?

I'm not using Siri at all at this point, but my understanding is that Apple is looking to customers to help build its data bases. Maybe the car embeds would help along those lines. For me, standalone GPSs still work best for now. I'm open to other users serving as beta testers until services get strong enough, lol.

My iPad 2 is still on iOS 5.1.1 because I like the embedded Google maps, which I prefer to Apple maps.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Lets start with "Having a display in a position where it may distract the driver" and work any way you choose to from there.

Ye gods. We're only just getting laws in place for stopping people from text messaging while they're driving, and now this?

"Why don't you order up a Chinese. We can pick it up on the way past."
"Hang on. I'll just check the traffic info, and see if the last person who checked the traffic info rolled his vehicle."
"Shut up, you kids. I'm trying to watch a movie."

OK. I'll shut up now. Don't want to labor the point.

Sent from my stock iPad 2

Anyway. Who needs it embedded into the dash. Fits perfectly well right here on the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lets start with "Having a display in a position where it may distract the driver" and work any way you choose to from there.

Ye gods. We're only just getting laws in place for stopping people from text messaging while they're driving, and now this?

"Hang on. I'll just check the traffic info, and see if the last person who checked the traffic info rolled his vehicle."

People are texting, calling and such already while driving, so theoretically voice control would be an improvement, as long as the voice control works correctly.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What we really need are cars that can drive themselves, so we can play with our gadgets.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's an iPhone screen.

View attachment 40576

Image credit: refer to link

The link will tell you why the owner stopped texting mid-word.

Parents: Student's fatal text serves as warning - U.S. News

I was hoping I could find this story again. It rams home a point like nothing else can.

I've read about this guy before. Don't text while driving is the point.

Personally, I don't text while driving (or much other anytime), and my GPS allows BT pairing with my phone, so it's hands-free if I get a call. I don't make many calls even when not driving, but I see people making calls (because I see phones in their hands and see them driving badly), so those people clearly aren't deterred by driving and using their devices.

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
I've read about this guy before. Don't text while driving is the point.

Personally, I don't text while driving (or much other anytime), and my GPS allows BT pairing with my phone, so it's hands-free if I get a call. I don't make many calls even when not driving, but I see people making calls (because I see phones in their hands and see them driving badly), so those people clearly aren't deterred by driving and using their devices.

It's actually against the law to use your phone at all while driving in the UK, but I still see people doing it all the time regardless. Recently a guy drove over a zebra crossing while I was waiting to cross and I could see his phone in his hand while he was texting and not looking at the road!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's actually against the law to use your phone at all while driving in the UK, but I still see people doing it all the time regardless. Recently a guy drove over a zebra crossing while I was waiting to cross and I could see his phone in his hand while he was texting and not looking at the road!

It's hard to catch people in the act no matter how many laws you make.

Ideally, you wouldn't need laws -- people should just care about their own skins, even if they don't care about others'. But sadly, so many people don't think they'll become the statistic. Some people will do dangerous stuff no matter what, so maybe better voice-controlled tech will help.

MemphisMark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here you go. A British PSA to high schoolers about texting and driving.

Last edited by a moderator:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Anyway. Who needs it embedded into the dash. Fits perfectly well right here on the steering wheel.

I have to agree here. The goal needs to be to reduce distractions while driving, not encourage more of them. How did anyone ever get anywhere way back when without all this nonsense? My goodness, can't people put their gadgets down for just a little while as they drive their car? Are we that hooked on this stuff? I thought heroin was addicting. Do people have to text that they are on their way or will be there soon? Geeshus Crust....... Give it a rest.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to agree here. The goal needs to be to reduce distractions while driving, not encourage more of them. How did anyone ever get anywhere way back when without all this nonsense? My goodness, can't people put their gadgets down for just a little while as they drive their car? Are we that hooked on this stuff? I thought heroin was addicting. Do people have to text that they are on their way or will be there soon? Geeshus Crust....... Give it a rest.

Thing is, people who do distracting stuff while driving will continue to do it, endangering all of us. Just hoping that they'll knock it off won't change things.

Most reactions

Latest posts