What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 7 is now available for download

nathan_nathaniel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't do it boys and girls. If you like the crisp interface with 3D icons and soft backgrounds... It's now boring white with black letters and 2D icons. I'm an engineer always longing for change but in this case I wish there was a "classic view" like Microsoft had for its PC. PS my mom and dad find it hard to see the pencil thin back and forward buttons. That's just a taste. Research some screen shots of the new interface before upgrading.

We see more and more of these thoughtless "change-for-the-sake-of-change" upgrades,not only from Apple, but from other manufacturers. In fact, I've noticed many app developers doing the same thing. I use a third-party calendar app (on my desktop Mac and my iOS devices) because Apple consistently ignores the need for some of us to see what we're doing.

Pretty things are nice, but they need to be functional first.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't do it boys and girls. If you like the crisp interface with 3D icons and soft backgrounds... It's now boring white with black letters and 2D icons. I'm an engineer always longing for change but in this case I wish there was a "classic view" like Microsoft had for its PC. PS my mom and dad find it hard to see the pencil thin back and forward buttons. That's just a taste. Research some screen shots of the new interface before upgrading.

For you Mom and Dad, and maybe you: Go to Settings > General > Accessibility and turn on Bold Text. The iPad will reboot, after which the system text and pretty much all of the installed applications will have bolder, more readable text.

Anomalous

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I updated on Wednesday for both my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini. This color scheme is one to be desired but the UI is pretty nice. It's like having new toys. However, as soon as a jailbreak is available, I'm on it to get rid of all of white backgrounds.

Sfussner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I've had it for 2 days & I HATE it! 1. It's a battery drain, both my son & I realized our iPads were needing to be recharged after using less than 12 hours, this also happens when iPad is not in use. 2. Damn thing reformatted at least 2 of my most used apps, (don't know how many more, haven't checked yet), Yahoo mail & my Kindle app! What I'm so pissed about now is my Kindle app; fine, I'll learn to adjust to all the formatting changes, but for the first time ever I can't get a book to stay in my library after loading! I have watched it load from Amazon twice & once it has completed it disappears!

I'm at the point of wanting to go to some other device, permanently! I've also 'told' everyone I can, on every book forum I'm on what I think of this 'upgrade'!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Kindle app was changed by Amazon, not by the upgrade process.

Same for the Yahoo Mail app. The update has no power to change the apps. Only the developers can do that, and a great many of them have. One of the people I follow on twitter referres to the sudden uptick in app updates for a new iOS version as an Appalanche.

orress39

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 7 blocks deactivation of your iPad or iPhone if it becomes lost or stolen. You may wish to reconsider doing the update. When "Find my iPad [or iPhone]" is on the deactivation process requires entry of your Apple ID and password. I wish I had had that when my iPad was stolen about six months ago.

when r the APPLE is going to give "iWork" as promised in their meeting

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
when r the APPLE is going to give "iWork" as promised in their meeting

Sent from my iPad using iPF

iWorks for free was only promised to those who purchase new devices. The option to download the apps is supposed to be offered when the activate them.

There was a site or two that jumped to the conclusions that this would happen with any iOS 7 install, but Apple never said that in the Keynote, or in any other literature. I even mentioned it in a couple posts here, but I hope I was clear that it was in no way certain to happen.

And it didn't.

Oh well.

So, in the end this is just a continuation of how Apple has treated iWorks and iLife when you buy a new Mac. It's free with the machine. Though upgrades have not been. Since there hasn't been a paid upgrade for iOS iWorks yet, it remains to be seen if new device owners will eventually have to pony up for newer version at some point.

Oceangoer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem updating my Mini IPad through ITunes on my computer after I downloaded the new versions of ITunes and backed up the IPad. Took a while but went very smoothly It is great! I plan on doing the same with my IPhone 4S tomorrow. Just remember to backup in case there is a hiccup.

tezcon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Initial reaction - how do I get back to previous version - it looks cheap and nasty now :thumbsdown:

I completely agree, looks like a child's toy phone now!.......also beware of turning location services on at set up, as I did this as I had it on in prev iOS ....but when in place with no wifi for couple of hours....it used up 300 mb searching for GPS!! Leaving me with no mb left for rest of month! I am

Is there anyway to go back to previous IOS 6?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I completely agree, looks like a child's toy phone now!.......also beware of turning location services on at set up, as I did this as I had it on in prev iOS ....but when in place with no wifi for couple of hours....it used up 300 mb searching for GPS!! Leaving me with no mb left for rest of month! I am dde21 Is there anyway to go back to previous IOS 6?
Not any more, the signing window closed yesterday.

Most reactions

Latest posts