What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 7 - first impressions

MemaCookie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
addI downloaded iOS 7 to my iPad mini yesterday....my first impression is not very favorable. Right from the start I do NOT like the overall looks of the new platform, it looks very flat and washed out. The calendar app which I use heavily is terrible. To advance the calendar you simply scroll down to advance, its very easy to lose your place especially if you want to look at a specific future date. The entire calendar is washed out and difficult to read. I set my accessibility to zoom and that isn't a major help. I had set text to largest setting but it doesn't apply to all apps.

Once I figured out how to close apps it is pretty straight forward, to me its not as neat as ios 6. There does not appear to be any lag like some users reported. When using safari, the app has shut down on me alot. But, I'm sure thats a temporary thing. My battery usage appears to remain the same. The photo app is not pretty at all....when scrolling thru thumbnails it appears that the photos are all sorted by date (?), I need to play with that some more. Not liking it so far.

I know there will be updates shortly (there always are..) and I am determined to keep playing with it. I also know that my regular ipad3, and iphone 4s will remain iOS6.

I love the simplicity of all my apple devices and how easy it is to sync everything together. I wish apple left the interface alone, if I wanted a device to look like an android (interface), I would have bought one.

Super disappointed....I was excited about upgrading both my iphone to the 5s and the iPad and mini to the next version....not anymore! I know there will be alot of people that love the new operating system. Change is not always easy, BUT apple, come on now....ios7 is tough on my OLD eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK...I have been playing with this ipad for hours....I was so bummed out by the interface changes to the calendar app BUT, I think I found a way around. I downloaded an app called Week Cal HD for 2.99. The app works and looks very similar to the ios6 calendar app. I am attaching pics I took showing the Week Cal HD app compared to the same month in the new ios7. I hope this helps anyone who was having the same issues I did.

ios7.pngWeek Cal HD.pngipad mini.png

Last edited:

asongbird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well, even though I'm already getting used to some of it, I find the icons harder to read and I think Safari is harder to read ... things are bit washed out. I'm a bit annoyed I have to redesign my wallpaper too because as someone else noted it no longer fits; unfortunately I have iPad 3 so the much-touted AirDrop app isn't included, and also my iPod now will not be sharing the same OS; but I suppose I can live with these things. for one thing I have a third-party app called AirDoc which basically does the same thing and of course there is always Dropbox. Otherwise I do like the new system, and I'm looking forward to the tweaks and refinements that are undoubtedly to come.:thumbs:

oh and PS: does anyone know how to restore the individual song timings in the music library? seems they have disappeared in iOS 7.

Last edited:

Ruthie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't get the lock screen wallpaper to change.

Also, every time I close my iPad, even if just for a few seconds, i have to re-enter my pass code; I have checked my settings and this is set at 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i downloaded and installed the ios7 today and havent experimented with is much, but saying that not impressed with the colours and icons, the graphics before were so much better. Like the new notification centre, maps havent improved, but like i say i need time to get used to it

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sure someone will have already answered you, but no, it won't work. The Ipad One (we have two well used ones) can't go above IOS 5--they couldn't use IOS 6 either. My feeling, since i've had an ipad since they came out is that not Apple nor anyone else had any idea that they would be taken to ideas perhaps not even thought of initially. Developers have done remarkable things with them and Apple has keopt up but now the One is incapable of handling the newer firmwares and apps. i upgraded to 3 because my One couldn't handle well some of the apps I wanted to use. I plan to upgrade to 5 and my husband will inherit the 3. Sad but true.....

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I upgraded yesterday--ipad 3. Some hitches installing but come on, thousands and thousands of people were doing the same LOL. I juet read that more people installed IOS7 than 6 which is pretty remarkable
I'm quite happy overall. I tend to push my ipad quite a lot--a lot of app switching, pdf creation, copying and pasting from one app to another, lots of photo processing with big files and transmission of them, use of dropbox in quite a few apps. All of this appears to work really well. i think i can work faster, no lag and i like flicking the open but not used apps up and away. Like the control center but since i have four BT devices it doesn't really work well for me. Air play right at hand, other things.

i like the clean design and hope some of the app developers will redo their icons to fit in. i have only one casualty AFAIK--the Overdrive app for digital libraries. They are working on a fix. Battery life seems about the same--64 GB wifi and 3G/LTE which. turn off at home.

It was time for a redo and everything i've used or seen has mostly been an improvement for usage. I'm an older techy woman with 74 yr eyes and not having any problem with reading though I can understand issues some others are having. Go to accessibility in settings and make some adjustments to help reading.

There will be some nice tweaks I'm sure and i'm looking forward to ipad 5. My 3 goes to my husband who is struggling along with his original Ipad 1. My old ipad one has to stay tethered to power but its used for remote for ATV and streaming. Hard to imagine how the ipad has matured from the original.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Updated my iPad 3 yesterday evening, despite some scary glitches that fixed themselves once the server load dropped a bit. Mini and 4 owners might not see it, but there is occasional minor lag in keyboard response, and HUGE lag in setting wallpaper images. I do not see the latter as an important issue. The wallpaper still scales, but according to the needs of both landscape and portrait orientations. The resulting landscape size may seem bloated, but the minimum height will be that required in portrait mode. You must be very patient in moving and scaling, and wait a few seconds for one adjustment to complete before starting another.

My only real gripe: GoSkyWatch Planetarium (free) updated without permission before I could disable that "feature." Now I'm stuck with bright, glaring iAds that ruin my night vision, rendering the app useless for identifying stars after dark. If you have any apps you don't want updated: sync the iPad, delete the app from the iPad, make sure the auto update box in iTunes is unchecked, then upgrade to iOS 7. Afterward, use iTunes to reinstall the old version from your backup.

The visual differences are...just differences. We'll all get used to them quickly enough. Some things indeed work differently, but an open mind may find new ways of working that leverage the changes for a net improvement. Example: instead of a screen full of folders containing a few apps each, I might put them all in one folder, with a page for each former folder. I haven't decided yet, but there may be other unseen opportunities, not just disappointments. Just sayin'...

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

rjkgr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
super lag and my fb app wouldnt work!. i love the new ringtones but i give it maybe a 5 out of 10

auntyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I HATE IOS 7 - both on my iPad 2 & my iPhone. Hate the way the colours have changed - use Notes all the time and I like it yellow, not white! Hate how some of my app icons have changed, the lock code screen has changed - numbers are not in the same spots, can't just type in my lock code like I used to, keep hitting the wrong numbers.
Hate the new "control centre". All the instructions are in very, very pale white, and it can barely read them - not at all user friendly.
Especially hate Safari - why did they have to change the whole look of the damn thing, and where everything is on it?
Thank God I have a teenage niece who's just told me how to close apps (because the old way no longer works) and how to lock/unlock screen rotation on the phone, because I couldn't do that the old way either.
I tried to use the link from these forums to preview the new IOS before downloading it, but it wouldn't work unless you had IOS 7 installed!
Right now I hate Apple in General, and if you can possibly have a look at someone else's device before you download, I'd strongly advise you to do that.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I HATE IOS 7 - both on my iPad 2 & my iPhone. Hate the way the colours have changed - use Notes all the time and I like it yellow, not white! Hate how some of my app icons have changed, the lock code screen has changed - numbers are not in the same spots, can't just type in my lock code like I used to, keep hitting the wrong numbers. Hate the new "control centre". All the instructions are in very, very pale white, and it can barely read them - not at all user friendly. Especially hate Safari - why did they have to change the whole look of the damn thing, and where everything is on it? Thank God I have a teenage niece who's just told me how to close apps (because the old way no longer works) and how to lock/unlock screen rotation on the phone, because I couldn't do that the old way either. I tried to use the link from these forums to preview the new IOS before downloading it, but it wouldn't work unless you had IOS 7 installed! Right now I hate Apple in General, and if you can possibly have a look at someone else's device before you download, I'd strongly advise you to do that.

I didn't like it yesterday either. Now it's growing on me. Give it a chance.

auntyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks like it was designed to appeal to a 5 year old girl. Sorry ....
I totally agree - my 15 year old niece loves it, but those of us who are adults (and hence actually able to afford to buy these devices) apparently aren't worth considering. Appeals to the young, "cool" market and doesn't care about the rest of us.

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far not impressed.
Reminds me of Windows 8. Not sold on that one either I have been using that on a desktop for almost a year now.

Bartholemew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It ain't gonna grow on me, everything about it irritates me, and the more I use it, the more annoying features I find.

I was doing a You Tube search with it. I could not even see what I was typing ... Pastel colors ... Gawd ...

Most reactions

Latest posts