What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 7 - first impressions

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone notice that the option to see a specific number of emails is now missing? How do I tell the iPad how many I want to see or how many days, weeks etc? I only see a few in some of my folders.

Unfortunately, it appears this has been removed from Mail, don't know why. I also can't find a way to do the same function elsewhere.

Marilyn

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS 7 upgrade not good for me I am afraid. Regret upgrading my ipad2. firstly, I have lost all my Page and Numbers documents. Secondly, I am unable to use icloud - I am greyed out in settings and can't open iCloud. Thirdly, I have lost some important apps including the BT Sport app. As I don't have my password on me at the moment I will have to wait to reload it so I am unable to watch the Spurs v Chelsea match. There was a fourth problem which was that when I was out with a friend I tried to check our location using the blue dot on maps but I wasn't there! eve Eventually I found the solution to that from reading something on the internet. I think it involved looking at some obscure place in General on settings like restrictions that I would never have thought of myself. But it was frustrating at the time because I have come to rely on the blue dot locating where I am. lesson: as has been pointed out so often Apple need to work harder on ensuring they make upgrades smoother for existing users. I will certainly use my ipad differently (and less actually - especially pages and numbers apps) because of this experience, have less time for the care apple puts into the technology which will impact on future buying decisions and next time I will take wise counsel and resist all the efforts to get me to upgrade quickly but wait until the last minute.
iCloud issue:

Go to Settings - General - Restrictions. If that's enabled, look at "Accounts" and disable it.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never understand why new release of an op system has to be totally unlike the previous version. Microsoft does the same. I am not a "power" user, but even basics make no sense to me. Why change the unlock code display, or the pictures in a number of the home screen icons? Does everyone but mu understand the top of page icons like a box with a line extended downward or one with a line extending upward? So much for complaints. The iPad is now brutally slow. I there "stuff" than can be removed? Thanks for any guidance. Fepred

Their are many settings that affect how the device responds/ runs. I suggest to go through all settings (in the settings app) and "temporarily" disable all the extra stuff you don't absolutely need. Use it for a while and slowly add functions back in to determine which ones are truly needed and how each function makes your device react.

scepticnw10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iCloud issue: Go to Settings - General - Restrictions. If that's enabled, look at "Accounts" and disable it.

Thanks for actually reading my post and responding. Restrictions is enabled but accounts is already disabled.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for actually reading my post and responding. Restrictions is enabled but accounts is already disabled.

Did you have a recent back up in iTunes, if so you could try connecting to iTunes and restoring from the back up to try and get your lost files back.

The Archangel

scepticnw10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you have a recent back up in iTunes, if so you could try connecting to iTunes and restoring from the back up to try and get your lost files back. The Archangel

Thanks for the idea. I backed up on both my PC laptop and to icloud so hopefully the Pages and Numbers documents are there somewhere. I don't have access to the laptop at the moment but when I do I will definitely have a go. I don't remember seeing any numbers or pages documents visible in itunes on the laptop so any links to advice on how to find these files through itunes back up would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking an interest in trying to find solutions.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. I backed up on both my PC laptop and to icloud so hopefully the Pages and Numbers documents are there somewhere. I don't have access to the laptop at the moment but when I do I will definitely have a go. I don't remember seeing any numbers or pages documents visible in itunes on the laptop so any links to advice on how to find these files through itunes back up would be appreciated. Thanks for taking an interest in trying to find solutions.

When you upgraded to iOS 7 did you do it OTA or via iTunes on your laptop?

The Archangel

scepticnw10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you upgraded to iOS 7 did you do it OTA or via iTunes on your laptop? The Archangel

Via itunes on the laptop which is a PC not Mac. I upgraded to the latest itunes first. The default I have set is to back up to icloud but I also manually backed up to the computer.

gurkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Ipaders :rolleyes: To those who updates their ipads to IOS 7 please give your first impressions and reviews! I wanna know if there is a change in the battery life, I heard it drains quicker with IOS 7, or is it the same! plus an important thing is whether 25pp works just fine with IOS 7 as it does on 6??
I believe my battery does drain quicker and how do we get rid of the application updates.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Via itunes on the laptop which is a PC not Mac. I upgraded to the latest itunes first. The default I have set is to back up to icloud but I also manually backed up to the computer.
After updating, resetting your device is a good idea. (Press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears.)

gurkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded my Mini and my iPhone yesterday and I love the new iOS. The brightness of it all was a bit of a pain at first but after turning the brightness setting way down (which should also increase battery life.....double whammy!) it is fine now. The Archangel
Thank you for your reply as regards updates.

scepticnw10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After updating, resetting your device is a good idea. (Press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears.)

Thanks JA for giving it some thought, There was an initial problem with the update but when I reset the ipad the update worked. I wondered if that was when I lost the files. I am always nervous about resetting in case I lose more than I gain. Quite a lot is working in iOS7 and I don't want to go backwards. But I was wondering whether to risk this. With iCloud settings not working either I'm not really sure how I could get the files back by doing this. But can try if you think it's worth it.

Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks JA for giving it some thought, There was an initial problem with the update but when I reset the ipad the update worked. I wondered if that was when I lost the files. I am always nervous about resetting in case I lose more than I gain. Quite a lot is working in iOS7 and I don't want to go backwards. But I was wondering whether to risk this. With iCloud settings not working either I'm not really sure how I could get the files back by doing this. But can try if you think it's worth it. Thanks.
You can't lose files with the reset I suggested.
I answered your reply to my iCloud post, because I had chosen the wrong terms. I'll repeat: in Restriction - Accounts, check mark "Allow Changes".

Most reactions