What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 7 - first impressions

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing I hate about it is when closing an app using the 'pinch' gesture. Every app I do it with, it jumps straight to the home screen (if you know what I mean). It looks so ugly when it happens.

If you mean closing the app down, I find it easier to close apps now, perhaps you're doing it wrong. Just double click the home button then scroll right or left to the app you want to close then flick the app picture upwards. It's one of the few things with the new OS I truly think is an improvement.

Last edited:

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you mean closing the app down, I find it easier to close apps now, perhaps you're doing it wrong. Just double click the home button then scroll right or left to the app you want to close then flick the app picture upwards. It's one of the few things with the new OS I truly think is an improvement.

There is no wrong way to do it, and yes, I do know how to do it. But for me it sort of jumps to the home screen.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no wrong way to do it, and yes, I do know how to do it. But for me it sort of jumps to the home screen.
There's no difference to iOS 6. I always use this gesture to close apps, I would have noticed that as well.
I also tried to close an app with the Home button just now. It looks exactly the same as with pinch to close.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score

I think I know what you are talking about. Is is the grey colored background of the home screen appearing for a short time, when you close Safari? I noticed that it does look a bit ugly, but occurs only while closing Safari. Other apps close normally, just like iOS 6.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There's no difference to iOS 6. I always use this gesture to close apps, I would have noticed that as well.
I also tried to close an app with the Home button just now. It looks exactly the same as with pinch to close.

Just one small difference. Pinch closes the app, keeping it to the centre of the screen, but home button takes it back to the position of the icon. :)

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another problem with iOS 7 is the result of Apple trying to make the appearing of the icons after unlock more stylish. The device takes a long time to unlock, with the outer icons crawl in in slowly. So, we have to wait for some time before we any app opens. That time is enough to drive people in a hurry crazy.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another problem with iOS 7 is the result of Apple trying to make the appearing of the icons after unlock more stylish. The device takes a long time to unlock, with the outer icons crawl in in slowly. So, we have to wait for some time before we any app opens. That time is enough to drive people in a hurry crazy.
In my iPad 2, this whole procedure takes less than a second. No long waits on my end.

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I know what you are talking about. Is is the grey colored background of the home screen appearing for a short time, when you close Safari? I noticed that it does look a bit ugly, but occurs only while closing Safari. Other apps close normally, just like iOS 6.

Yes!!

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

But it happens with all of my apps, be it third party or stock apps

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's not my experience. My iPad 3 is reacting faster than before the update.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score

On my iPad 3, using the Home button results in a smooth transition. The four-finger pinch starts smoothly, but the last 30% or so is a ragged jump. I wish they'd spent less time on cute animations and more on testing!

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

Most reactions

Latest posts