What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 7.1.1 has been released!

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
7.1.1_678x452.jpg

iOS 7.1.1 has been released for public download/update. For the iPhone 5S, users will have a more responsive experience with their keyboard, minor tweaking/improving of TouchID as well as Bluetooth Keyboard with VoiceOver enabled. Additionally, 7.1.1 also addresses the following security issues:

CFNetwork HTTPProtocol
Available for: iPhone 4 and later,
iPod touch (5th generation) and later, iPad 2 and later
Impact: An attacker in a privileged network position can obtain web
site credentials
Description: Set-Cookie HTTP headers would be processed even if the
connection closed before the header line was complete. An attacker
could strip security settings from the cookie by forcing the
connection to close before the security settings were sent, and then
obtain the value of the unprotected cookie. This issue was addressed
by ignoring incomplete HTTP header lines.

IOKit Kernel
Impact: A local user can read kernel pointers, which can be used to
bypass kernel address space layout randomization
Description: A set of kernel pointers stored in an IOKit object
could be retrieved from userland. This issue was addressed through
removing the pointers from the object.

Security - Secure Transport
Impact: An attacker with a privileged network position may capture
data or change the operations performed in sessions protected by SSL
Description: In a 'triple handshake' attack, it was possible for an
attacker to establish two connections which had the same encryption
keys and handshake, insert the attacker's data in one connection, and
renegotiate so that the connections may be forwarded to each other.
To prevent attacks based on this scenario, Secure Transport was
changed so that, by default, a renegotiation must present the same
server certificate as was presented in the original connection.

WebKit
Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an
unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution
Description: Multiple memory corruption issues existed in WebKit.
These issues were addressed through improved memory handling.

In short, Apple continues on the road to resolving their previous SSL issue (which was patched in 7.0.6 but remnant vulnerabilities still exists) and boosting security over protected and unprotected networks, continues to go down the road of WebKit tweaking, which is somewhat supplementary to a bug in the language pack where a specific string of Arabic characters when scrolled or loaded on your browser or app, will cause your device to crash. The kernel fix patches the KASLR exploit/vulnerability, one of the remaining Evasi0n7 exploits that was not patched on 7.1.

Last edited:

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So no bug fixes at all for other connectivity issues and battery life issues for other devices? Only SSL patches and exploit patches? Wow. I expect everyone to be mad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So no bug fixes at all for other connectivity issues and battery life issues for other devices? Only SSL patches and exploit patches? Wow. I expect everyone to be mad.

Well, just did the updates on my iPad 2 & wife's Mini - no problems @ all - we've not had the issues above - Dave :)

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was referring to th devices that has problems.

What devices are you referring to? I have the latest IOS on iPhone 4, iPad mini, and iPad 2 (before I sold it for Air). All worked well. I admit though the iPhone 4 was miserable until 7.1 but now is stable. Are you sure their isn't another issue causing battery drain and the connectivity issues?

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What devices are you referring to? I have the latest IOS on iPhone 4, iPad mini, and iPad 2 (before I sold it for Air). All worked well. I admit though the iPhone 4 was miserable until 7.1 but now is stable. Are you sure their isn't another issue causing battery drain and the connectivity issues?

I'm not having this problem but I am referring to all the devices that has problems, not a specific model of an device because there are iPad 2's that have problems, some do not have problems, there are some iPad Airs that have problems, there are some that dies not have problems.

I can't install the update and says "Software update not available". Apple severs must be bombarded. I may have to wait.

riturajsharma19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated my iPad 4 to 7.1.1 last night. Frankly, couldn't notice any difference. I had hoped that it would solve the rotation lag issue with onscreen keyboard on, but not to be.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated my iPad 4 to 7.1.1 last night. Frankly, couldn't notice any difference. I had hoped that it would solve the rotation lag issue with onscreen keyboard on, but not to be.

I agree. These updates are boring. Never notice any real differences.

Sent from my IPAD 4th generation. WIFI only. 128GB

Adrou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
adrna.tumblr.com
I am not sure to do the update in my iPhone 5s... I'm afraid about the battery life. Well, I updated my iPad 3 and I only see there's a bug when you use four fingers for the multitask manager, move the miniatures and choose one, if you reduce the motion thing in accessibility....

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well the IDAPT desk charger I've been using for my iPhone 5, iPad 2 and the wife's iPhone 4 for more than 6 months is now throwing "Accessory may not be supported" messages for the iPhone 5.

Still seems to be charging but....

Most reactions

Latest posts