What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How do other original iPad owners feel that the new iOS due out in September will not be supported on our units?

Sent from Wales, using my iPad & iPF.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't want iOS 6 on iPad 1. They barely got iOS 5 to work reasonably on iPad 1, and that took upgrades to 5.1.1 to do it properly with iPad 1's paltry RAM.

Better that they stop firmware upgrades when reasonable, so our older hardware can at least keep functioning. Apple has had experience over-upgrading firmware beyond hardware capability.

With iPhone 3G, they upgraded firmware too far and made the browsing and apps use basically non-functional. That led to class-action attempts against Apple.

I'm not lawsuit happy, but I thought it was crazy that they basically killed the smart part of my iPhone 3G by over-upgrading.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I don't want iOS 6 on iPad 1. They barely got iOS 5 to work reasonably on iPad 1, and that took upgrades to 5.1.1 to do it properly with iPad 1's paltry RAM.

Better that they stop firmware upgrades when reasonable, so our older hardware can at least keep functioning. Apple has had experience over-upgrading firmware beyond hardware capability.

With iPhone 3G, they upgraded firmware too far and made the browsing and apps use basically non-functional. That led to class-action attempts against Apple.

I'm not lawsuit happy, but I thought it was crazy that they basically killed the smart part of my iPhone 3G by over-upgrading.

Din't worry, iOS 6 will not be coming to the iPad 1. iOS 5.1.1 is the last iOS update the iPad 1.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Din't worry, iOS 6 will not be coming to the iPad 1. iOS 5.1.1 is the last iOS update the iPad 1.

Not worried. Apple already announced that awhile ago, as widely reported. That's why the OP initiated this thread, and I replied.

Unleashed

iPF Noob
Reaction score

and whats even more funny is apple never wanted to release ios 4 for the 3G its because of people complaining that the version of ios would not be available on that device..

though some times apple does not add features like no facetime on a data connection when the device could easily handle it and has proven to do so over jailbreak.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
and whats even more funny is apple never wanted to release ios 4 for the 3G its because of people complaining that the version of ios would not be available on that device..

though some times apple does not add features like no facetime on a data connection when the device could easily handle it and has proven to do so over jailbreak.

I expect any company to make a common-sense decision if faced with worrying about possible complaints about not upgrading firmware that would overload hardware vs. basically ruining a device by offering the upgrade anyway. But of course sometimes people are weak or make lame decisions. In the iPhone 3G case, the obvious fix for the initial stupid decision would have been to allow a firmware downgrade, which Apple also failed to do.

Most reactions