What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 6 upgrade with Siri on iPad WiFi only?

rockydoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad with 3G and one with WiFi only. They are both of the same generation. I just downloaded and installed IOS 6 on each of them. Siri showed up on the 3G iPad but not on the WiFi only iPad.

I did them both almost simultaneously, the 3G was started a minute or two before the WiFi but the WiFi finished a few minutes before the 3G, like there was a bit more to download and install (Siri?) on the 3G. Is this the way is it is supposed to be or did I do something wrong or incomplete with the download?

Rockydoc

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
rockydoc said:
I have an iPad with 3G and one with WiFi only. They are both of the same generation. I just downloaded and installed IOS 6 on each of them. Siri showed up on the 3G iPad but not on the WiFi only iPad.

I did them both almost simultaneously, the 3G was started a minute or two before the WiFi but the WiFi finished a few minutes before the 3G, like there was a bit more to download and install (Siri?) on the 3G. Is this the way is it is supposed to be or did I do something wrong or incomplete with the download?

Rockydoc

Siri will work on a wifi only iPad 3, but only when it is connected to the Internet. You also have to make sure it is turned on. To check, go to Settings>General>Siri and make sure it's turned on.

image-419708373.jpg

OP
R

rockydoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My WiFi is on. I don't have a Siri in Settings>General>. On my iPad with 3G there is a Settings>general>Siri, but not on my WiFi only iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
rockydoc said:
My WiFi is on. I don't have a Siri in Settings>General>. On my iPad with 3G there is a Settings>general>Siri, but not on my WiFi only iPad.

It should be there, I'm posting from a wifi only iPad 3 on iOS 6 and Siri works for me. Does the software updates section in settings shos your iPad as being on iOS 6?

OP
R

rockydoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I determine the difference between an iPad2 from an iPad3? They both look the same and yet they have a different model #. One is model MD363LL and the other is model # MC979LL. Does this indicate that one is second generation and the other third generation?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
rockydoc said:
How do I determine the difference between an iPad2 from an iPad3? They both look the same and yet they have a different model #. One is model MD363LL and the other is model # MC979LL. Does this indicate that one is second generation and the other third generation?

The first model number is for a 16GB wifi+Verizon 4G white iPad 3, the second model number is for a 16GB white wifi only iPad 2.

OP
R

rockydoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 2 must not support Siri. That could explain why one has it and the other doesn't. I wasn't aware they were different, I thought both were iPad 2s.
Thanks for your expertise. Where did you get the information through which you can determine all these particulars from the model number?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
rockydoc said:
The iPad 2 must not support Siri. That could explain why one has it and the other doesn't. I wasn't aware they were different, I thought both were iPad 2s.
Thanks for your expertise. Where did you get the information through which you can determine all these particulars from the model number?

Correct,there is no Siri for the iPad 2.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
rockydoc said:

I just googled the model numbers.

Most reactions