What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6 search bar focus

Metalhillbilly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, was just wondering if the input focus has changed or not, I swear I used to be able to open a new tab and type into the search bar immediately, now it seems I have to click(err...tap?) over from the address bar. Just seems like a pain to me because I use search far more than I do the adress bar(which I don't use actually), can't see why apple would do this unless it was a swipe at google(and a petty pathetic swipe at that). Just saying safari is no longer ergonomical for a search heavy user like me.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey guys, was just wondering if the input focus has changed or not, I swear I used to be able to open a new tab and type into the search bar immediately, now it seems I have to click(err...tap?) over from the address bar. Just seems like a pain to me because I use search far more than I do the adress bar(which I don't use actually), can't see why apple would do this unless it was a swipe at google(and a petty pathetic swipe at that). Just saying safari is no longer ergonomical for a search heavy user like me.
I hadn't noticed this until I read your post, just checked and sure enough, it happens on my iPad, too. I am unsure why Apple would do this, other than maybe they've collected user data showing that people use the address bar more than the search bar in new tabs?

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah it's annoying every time you start a new tab just to go to a new site but it automatically jumps to the search bar first.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is what they need in iOS 7 (or 6.1, or whatever they'll call the next release): one unified navigation bar (combination address bar and search bar) like they have in OS X Mountain Lion.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is what they need in iOS 7 (or 6.1, or whatever they'll call the next release): one unified navigation bar (combination address bar and search bar) like they have in OS X Mountain Lion.

That would be nice!

OP
M

Metalhillbilly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hadn't noticed this until I read your post, just checked and sure enough, it happens on my iPad, too. I am unsure why Apple would do this, other than maybe they've collected user data showing that people use the address bar more than the search bar in new tabs?

I can't see how more people would type addresses(hell I'm lazy and just search it if I haven't bookmarked it), I like that fact that as soon as the tab opens you can type, something that most ipad browser alternatives don't have from my experience.

Of course I may be wrong and everyone does type in address!!!

Added: yes unified is a better option, solves the issue of preference of address or search bar....I don't why that isn't the standard

Last edited:

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't see how more people would type addresses(hell I'm lazy and just search it if I haven't bookmarked it), I like that fact that as soon as the tab opens you can type, something that most ipad browser alternatives don't have from my experience.

Of course I may be wrong and everyone does type in address!!!
I agree. If it was a dig at Google, it was quite pathetic, as you pointed out.

OP
M

Metalhillbilly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. If it was a dig at Google, it was quite pathetic, as you pointed out.
Haha, I get YouTube and google maps, they replaced a competitors products with their own(quality aside), but changing the input focus to (I assume) lower the use of google search(hello yahoo, bing!!) makes no sense if you don't replace it with your own search option.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have ya'll noticed other changes that Apple has made to other apps? For example, when you go into the AppStore, if you search for an app, you no longer do a Google search? Now it says Chrome. Google has made changes to its search engines that allows differentiation between it and other search engines.

This is rebranding. The company known as Google has a suite of products that it offers consumers. One product is Chrome. You now use Chrome to search for information. You no longer google it. If the phrase google it becomes too commonplace, Google could loose the trademark. This is probably why you have to take an extra step to find stuff in search. IMHO!

Most reactions

Latest posts