What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6 on iPad 1

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
titusc you need to also adjust the version string (9B206) for the product system build. You could look at another product that is running 6 and use that to mask what the ipad is actually running. Installed without problem on my ipad 1.

We don't take kindly to folks spreading misinformation on the forums. We pride ourselves on giving our members accurate facts, so let me be clear...

IOS 6 cannot be installed on an iPad1 by simply changing a version string on the device or performing any other kind of trivial hack.

The operating system must be optimised and compiled against the hardware in the device. You cannot simply force IOS 6 compiled for an iPad2, iPad3, iPad4, or iPad Mini onto the iPad1 by making iTunes think that a different device has been attached!

If it was that simple we would all have been doing it since the day IOS6 was released! ;)

Last edited:

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
titusc you need to also adjust the version string (9B206) for the product system build. You could look at another product that is running 6 and use that to mask what the ipad is actually running. Installed without problem on my ipad 1.

I call stinky diapers on this!!!!!

andrewhtf

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I'll call your bluff, photo of your ipad1 with the screen showing iPhoto.

MagicalLogic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hear that a lot but you seem to forget the iPhone 3GS has the same amount of ram and a slower processor that the iPad 1 and it runs 6 just fine. Screen size aside, there is little reason for apple to orphan the ipad1.

Its sad but I have an account that has 18 of them and was thinking last year of upgrading but when the iPad 1 was orphaned they drop the plan in favor of windows 8 pro (this year) and android last year.

Most reactions

Latest posts