What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6 on iPad 1

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It cannot be done. End of. There is no hack. No jailbreak. No way to get IOS 6 on an iPad1. Don't waste your time trying.
Same with the latest iPhoto. You cannot make it run on the iPad1. It requires IOS6 and it requires more resources than the iPad1 has at its disposal.

OP
T

titusc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. Any reason why jailbreak exists for upgrading other iPads' iOS but not the iPad1? Just want to know why some can and some can't.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
titusc said:
Thanks. Any reason why jailbreak exists for upgrading other iPads' iOS but not the iPad1? Just want to know why some can and some can't.

Among other things, the iPad 1 RAM isn't sufficient to support the upgrade to iOS 6.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

A jailbreak has nothing to do with giving you the ability to "upgrade" the IOS installed on an iPad in the sense you mean it in. It is about enhancing the version of IOS installed on the device already to do things which Apple does not normally support. For example, to add a 5 row keyboard, theme the OS, tweak the springboard layout, etc. You should visit our hacking section and read the various threads there for more info - iPad Hacking

What it does not do, is enable you to install IOS6 and the latest iPhoto on the iPad1. As has been pointed out, the iPad1 just doesn't have enough resources at its disposal to run them. Sorry :(

OP
T

titusc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A jailbreak has nothing to do with giving you the ability to "upgrade" the IOS installed on an iPad in the sense you mean it in. It is about enhancing the version of IOS installed on the device already to do things which Apple does not normally support. For example, to add a 5 row keyboard, theme the OS, tweak the springboard layout, etc. You should visit our hacking section and read the various threads there for more info - iPad Hacking

What it does not do, is enable you to install IOS6 and the latest iPhoto on the iPad1. As has been pointed out, the iPad1 just doesn't have enough resources at its disposal to run them. Sorry :(
Thanks. However, it looks like I can trick the iPad into announcing it has iOS 6 by changing the following file.
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

Here are some links of other people having done something similar.
HOW-TO change the version number (e.g 1.1.3) | iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch forums | iFans
Need Serious Help! System Version.plist File Needed ASAP!
Changed iOS version. Appstore now broken - JailbreakQA

As for iPhoto I understand it requires resources but I don't mind running it a bit slower since a few other people on the net have also been able to do this without too much performance penalty.

Thanks for the hacking link.

OP
T

titusc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay just jailbroken my iPad 1 with redsnow, and installed OpenSSH with Cyndia. Here's what my /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist file looks like.

Code:
iPad:/System/Library/CoreServices root# ls -ltr SystemVersion.plist-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 415 Jun 15  2012 SystemVersion.plist
iPad:/System/Library/CoreServices root# cat SystemVersion.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
        <string>9B206</string>
        <key>ProductCopyright</key>
        <string>1983-2012 Apple Inc.</string>
        <key>ProductName</key>
        <string>iPhone OS</string>
        <key>ProductVersion</key>
        <string>5.1.1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I have now edited to the following. Strange enough "view" / "vi" / "vim" are all not available so I had to use WinSCP.
Code:
iPad:/System/Library/CoreServices root# cat SystemVersion.plist<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <string>9B206</string>
        <key>ProductName</key>
        <string>6.0.1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Immediately upon doing so, I can see the new Version in Settings -> General -> About. It's shown with following. Not sure what the 9B206 in brackets mean. If anyone knows, please share with us.
Code:
Version 6.0.1 (9B206)

Strange enough, both iPhone Configuration Utility and iTunes are still indicating my device as 5.1.1. Any idea what are missing still?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
titusc said:
Okay just jailbroken my iPad 1 with redsnow, and installed OpenSSH with Cyndia. Here's what my /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist file looks like.

iPad:/System/Library/CoreServices root# ls -ltr SystemVersion.plist-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 415 Jun 15 2012 SystemVersion.plist
iPad:/System/Library/CoreServices root# cat SystemVersion.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<string>9B206</string>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>5.1.1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I have now edited to the following. Strange enough "view" / "vi" / "vim" are all not available so I had to use WinSCP.
iPad:/System/Library/CoreServices root# cat SystemVersion.plist<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<string>9B206</string>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>6.0.1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Immediately upon doing so, I can see the new Version in Settings -> General -> About. It's shown with following. Not sure what the 9B206 in brackets mean. If anyone knows, please share with us.
Version 6.0.1 (9B206)

Strange enough, both iPhone Configuration Utility and iTunes are still indicating my device as 5.1.1. Any idea what are missing still?
None of this is going to give you iOS 6 on an iPad 1. Neither will it allow you to use iPhoto on your iPad 1. What you've missed is that you don't, and never will, have iOS 6 on your iPad 1.

Last edited:
OP
T

titusc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not trying to install iOS 6 onto the iPad 1 if it's not possible. Just trying to get one of iPad 1 / iTunes / iPhone Configuration Utility to think my device is on iOS 6 so I can install iPhotos on it.

Any idea where iTunes / iPhone Configuration Utility is retrieving the iOS number from? Thought that'd be from /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
titusc said:
I'm not trying to install iOS 6 onto the iPad 1 if it's not possible. Just trying to get one of iPad 1 / iTunes / iPhone Configuration Utility to think my device is on iOS 6 so I can install iPhotos on it.

Any idea where iTunes / iPhone Configuration Utility is retrieving the iOS number from? Thought that'd be from /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist.

It won't work because your iPad isn't on iOS 6. Faking it isn't good enough.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What you are doing is akin to changing the badge on the back of your car to say it is now a 6 litre turbo. Under the bonnet it is still a 2 litre diesel, no matter what the badge says.
What you are trying to do simply won't work. iPhoto is compiled against the 6.x binaries. It requires features of the operating system that you don't have. The latest version of iPhoto will not run on the iPad1, no matter what you try. You cannot hack it on there.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you really want to use iPhoto on an iPad, you're going to need an iPad 2 at the very least.

jrunner73

iPF Noob
Reaction score

titusc you need to also adjust the version string (9B206) for the product system build. You could look at another product that is running 6 and use that to mask what the ipad is actually running. Installed without problem on my ipad 1.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jrunner73 said:
titusc you need to also adjust the version string (9B206) for the product system build. You could look at another product that is running 6 and use that to mask what the ipad is actually running. Installed without problem on my ipad 1.

It's not going to work, you can't spoof the Apple servers into believing that your iPad is running IOS 6, in order to install iOS 6 specific apps. Read the post by Super Moderator f4780y a few posts back.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts