What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6 Maps Draws Lots of Complaints Worldwide

loveyday

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AppleInsider reports today that Apple’s new in-house Maps app in the newly released iOS 6 has not exactly proved to be an instant hit with users. Quite the contrary! As AppleInsider notes, many leading Apple experts in the press have pointed the finger at the new app, including Walt Mossberg at The Wall Street Journal, saying that it is not up to scratch for an Apple product. Other users have complained that Apple’s Maps is not as reliable or useful as the previous iOS Maps app, which was all Google’s work, of course. Some rather comical mistakes have also appeared. The Irish Times points to one particular story where Minister for Justice, Alan Shatter, said that he found that a place called Airfield in his constituency in Dundrum, had been incorrectly decorated with a aeroplane icon in the new iOS 6 Maps! And keeping the Celtic connection, in Scotland, NorthScotNews reports that the satellite images for locations including Thurso, Tain, and Nairn are all in black and white only, “back to the dark ages.†Many other examples abound, I’m sure you’ll have your own. Apple has yet to comment. Google said, “We believe Google Maps are the most comprehensive, accurate and easy-to-use maps in the world,†in a statement to Search Engine Land.
iOS 6 maps complaints.JPG

zunex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of a rare low-quality app from Apple. Hope that they will soon make this "in-house Maps" better.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So far I notice this morning on the T.V. news that even in the USA the Apple mapping program is getting the wrong places shown. This is not going to make many up daters to the new OS very happy. It's going to be a long up hill fight for Apple maps IMHO. My advice to Apple=If it is not broke don't try fixing it.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So far I notice this morning on the T.V. news that even in the USA the Apple mapping program is getting the wrong places shown. This is not going to make many up daters to the new OS very happy. It's going to be a long up hill fight for Apple maps IMHO. My advice to Apple=If it is not broke don't try fixing it.

Well here's the thing. Apple dropped Google maps because their contract expired. They then were forced to come up with their own app to replace the now expired Google map app. But they should have spent more time in developing the app to get it to work right than to put it out to the public with so many bugs.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think a lot of people now wish they had taken the advice and waited, to see how the new iO6 upgrade apple OS was really working in the real world. As everyone knows you can't revert back to the older apple OS, so it's up to Apple to get things right. will this happen and how quickly I have no idea. For now I will just stick with my old Apple OS.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well here's the thing. Apple dropped Google maps because their contract expired. They then were forced to come up with their own app to replace the now expired Google map app. But they should have spent more time in developing the app to get it to work right than to put it out to the public with so many bugs.

I don't see the problem or any reason for them to have waited. GM started with bugs, too, but slowly improved over time. The Apple Maps app will improve as well. It's a free app that is part of an OS. Google has released a ton of products that weren't mature at first. It's the way of things. Also, this breaking between Apple and Google will likely result in two competing products on the iOS platform. This is a good thing, over all.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see the problem or any reason for them to have waited. GM started with bugs, too, but slowly improved over time. The Apple Maps app will improve as well. It's a free app that is part of an OS. Google has released a ton of products that weren't mature at first. It's the way of things. Also, this breaking between Apple and Google will likely result in two competing products on the iOS platform. This is a good thing, over all.

The key diff between Google maps and Apple maps: Google was consistently improving on something. Apple has broken a feature that users already were relying on.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I hope you are right but as a backup I picked up a Android Galaxy Tab2 just to have something to fall back on if things don't. Apple should be aware of the fact that Android devices are gaining a lot of buyers. You are never so great that you can't be brought down.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The key diff between Google maps and Apple maps: Google was consistently improving on something. Apple has broken a feature that users already were relying on.

Pretty much this. It's one thing sending a buggy app if there wasn't an already reliable app to begin with. People wouldn't complain so much if this didn't replace something already better.

iMitch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at the Brooklyn Bridge in NY. It's one example of many hiccups in iOS6 Maps.

Most reactions

Latest posts